What's new

The Ammo Shortage

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
When the wife and I was picking up her Ruger Max from Academy the other day, They had some .40 S&W, quite a bit of some .556 Green Tips, and a little bit of some .22 LR and plenty of .350 Legend. Nothing else I could see.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The .350 Legend has grown very popular in Iowa now that you can use a straight-walled cartridge rifle during shot gun deer seasons.

The .350 Legend has grown very popular in Iowa now that you can use a straight-walled cartridge rifle during shot gun deer seasons.

In Michigan as well. Last year it was 350 legend and 450 bushmaster that were the only boxes available. No such luck this year for the 350 :c17:

After the last shortage, I took up reloading. I told myself never again.

And I've been able to squirrel away enough supplies now that I don't worry about the present market. When/if things recover I'll probably buy a near-lifetime supply of primers (50k or so) and I'll call it good for quite a few years and start shooting up what I have.

I have enough of almost everything to do quite a bit of shooting. I wish I had more match bullets in 6.5mm, but I'm good on about everything else for at least several years.

Back from Walmart. 🤡

🤔 Not only were there four boxes of 350 Legend, they had two boxes of a new defensive 22 round from Winchester.

proxy.php

I'm foolish enough to carry 22 for SD, in low risk circumstances. Breaks into four chunks plus base, optimized for short barrels. Sounds good.

🤔 I'll have to get the opinion of some local gangsta squirrels. They are always having turf wars over nuts.

AA
I have a respect for 22LR that many people don't. If you are armed with that, you are infinitely better off than being unarmed. 22LR>25acp.

I just returned from Walmart. 325 rd boxes of Federal Automatch have gone from $19 to $22. Four packs of Federal target 12 ga have gone from $25 to $30.

I shoot for leisure and in local competition events. Expensive and available will probably cause me to switch hobbies. Fortunately, I have enough ammo stock piled to ride this crisis a good bit longer. When it's gone, I may put my money elsewhere.

I was at my local range/store yesterday. They now have multiple shelves filled with nearly all calibers and classes. Also running a sale on 9mm. Had two pallets on the floor stacked 4' high with 9mm ammo. The prices have fallen quite a bit from several months ago, but still by no means cheap. I grabbed 3 boxes of 9mm for $15 each. It seems that its moving in a good direction with both supply and price improving. Still can't find powder or primers for any amount of $.

We are getting more ammo, more variety, in the store, but still a long ways to go. Vista - CCI, Speer, Federal, Remington - has quit filling back orders and is only filling new orders. Seems to be helping skipping the a-hats that ordered mass quantities to corner the market a year ago. Sierrra has entered the handgun ammo market too, we get a lot of it in, amazing how many customers have never heard of Sierra, guess they are not reloaders.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
WM update: A few scattered boxes of 12 gauge are seen; but lo! and behold! there were 4-5 boxes of Federal 22s - Automatch, 325-rounders, $21.

I bought one. Like The Band sang, "You take what you need and leave the rest ..."

AA

We are getting more ammo, more variety, in the store, but still a long ways to go. Vista - CCI, Speer, Federal, Remington - has quit filling back orders and is only filling new orders. Seems to be helping skipping the a-hats that ordered mass quantities to corner the market a year ago. Sierrra has entered the handgun ammo market too, we get a lot of it in, amazing how many customers have never heard of Sierra, guess they are not reloaders.
Sierra isn't exactly a marketing powerhouse. For decades, they've mostly relied on word of mouth. They are is famous among reloaders as they are anonymous to the non-reloader.

Sierra is potentially in a pretty awkward spot with their rifle bullets and pricing structure. They are a bit too expensive for the budget shooter, yet most shooters willing to spend more money will just buy Bergers. Hornady is coming on very strong in match shooting circles with the ELD line. Many top shooters I know will shoot them now and only run Bergers at national events. Our top shooter (president's club, high master in many disciplines, etc) runs the 88 ELDs in his rifle because he sees no performance deficit relative to the Bergers.

I got my 88 ELDs for 22c each. DURING THE PANIC. Bergers are twice that. Sierras are nearly twice.

I'm concerned that Sierra is floundering a bit and we are in danger of losing one of the few companies left supplying us with quality components.

Top Bottom