What's new

The Ammo Shortage

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Picked up two boxes of Hornady 140 gr. BTHP 6.5 Creedmoor at Academy this morning. Only about 20 people standing in line awaiting the store opening. Maybe tomorrow they'll get in some more Grendel. At least I can shoot that. Still awaiting parts for my Creedmoor build.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Picked up two boxes of Hornady 140 gr. BTHP 6.5 Creedmoor at Academy this morning. Only about 20 people standing in line awaiting the store opening. Maybe tomorrow they'll get in some more Grendel. At least I can shoot that. Still awaiting parts for my Creedmoor build.

I've been waiting three weeks for CZ-52 parts and springs - from that one real good, go-to springs place.

I know. Patience.

AA

I'm an 07/02 FFL /SOT and I can tell you there is almost NOTHING out there in the supply lines . What is out there is going to the big retailers like cabelas, and buds and the other huge shops. Little guys like me ain't getting NOTHING !

Also , the wholesale cost on ammo has gone up bigly, I'll give you an example.

January of last year I was buying Winchester 9mm brass case boxer primed 124 grain FMJ for 7.00 a box if I bought by the case of 1,000 rounds and I was getting free shipping as long as I spent 1k each order. That exact same case now dealer cost to me is around 700 and no more free shipping but it's all for nothing because I have not been able to buy any since last summer!

Also , let this sink in. Two of the largest wholesalers in the business ( RSR GROUP AND SPORTS SOUTH ) have told all there dealers that all the major ammo manufacturers are sold out of current contract till the end of 2022 !

It's crazy out there gentleman !!!

NICS hit yet another unbelievable record in March. The first qtr 21 is a lot higher than 20. There are lots of first time gun owners foraging for ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I'm at that point in life when I wish there was an ammo shortage. At least that would mean I've been out shooting again very regularly.

Currently the realistic picture is that if a handgun is loaded I have more than enough ammo.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
NICS hit yet another unbelievable record in March. The first qtr 21 is a lot higher than 20. There are lots of first time gun owners foraging for ammo.

I wonder how many of those NICS are actually new gun owners. I have a feeling that due to the current administration there are a lot of gun owners buying more firearms in anticipation of new regulations.

I wonder how many of those NICS are actually new gun owners. I have a feeling that due to the current administration there are a lot of gun owners buying more firearms in anticipation of new regulations.

There’s all kind’s of uncertainty in the numbers, but generally all types of purchases are most likely increasing.

Some observations:
1. Not all checks are purchases, some are for obtaining carry permits.
2. Not all checks cover one purchase, in the event someone is buying more than one firearm in a transaction.
3. Some purchases are not covered by checks when the buyer presents their carry license and could be buying more than one at a time, as I have.

A friend who works for a major firearms store in Smyrna, GA, says first time buying is still strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardware store had Blazer (brass) 9mm 124gr FMJ for $12.99/50 (limit 1 box). Mine!

Later in the morning was at Palmetto State Armory. Same empty shelves but there were some pallets of ammo out front. Lots of TulAmmo in 223 Rem, 7.62 X 39 and 54R. They also had several open cases of some sort of Eastern European 9mm FMJ for (choke) $40/50. Their sales limit is still 1 box per caliber per customer per day. Did not buy.

I was also at an Academy store yesterday afternoon checking out the pitiful scraps.

17HMR (actually quite a bit of it)
A few boxes of American Eagle 223 Rem ($12)
And maybe 10 boxes of Federal 45ACP FMJ ($37)

Of course there's a 2-box limit.

Greeter in the store's foyer told me that people start to line up outside the store as early as 3:30am for the 9am opening.

Hardware store got in an entire pallet of Remington .380 FMJ 250 round value pack.

Price including tax is $127 which works out to $0.47 per round. Given the times definitely not horrible. With tax that's $25.40/50 rounds.

You definitely will not see that kind of price online

I get text updates from Target Sports USA for certain ammo Im looking at when back in stock.

Two days ago I received a text on my phone that some 300 BLK ammo was available, and they had 99+ in stock.

In the 30 seconds it took me to go to my computer from my phone, it was all gone.

I don't think it could have gone faster if they were giving it away for free. Absolutely never seen anything like this.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I am just amazed how all over the board ammo prices are. Hunting the ammo my rifle likes (SK Standard Plus) I have seen the following prices: $525.00/case at Good Shooting (OOS), my go to (OOS now. They set aside a pallet for a group buy. Don't hate. I grabbed 2 bricks) is $590.00/case, Champion's Choice (OOS) is $625.00/case, Creedmoor Sports (OOS) is $725.00/case, Target Sports (OOS) is $849.90/case, and AmmoFast (OOS) is $979.00/case. That's an 86% swing across vendors. I'm making a list and know who I will be buying from IF things settle down...

Last edited:
This morning I rec'd a message from someone looking for reloading components and claiming they miss the days of hanging out with me at such and such range. I have no idea who this person is and as such gave them a "No, sorry" as a response.

I arrived at the hardware store a minute prior to opening and as I got out of my car the PA starts blasting, "GUNS LINE 1...GUNS LINE 1". No sooner does the store's phone lines open for the day the ammo bros start calling. Ugh.

Top Bottom