What's new

The Ammo Shortage

The last time that same hardware store had primers was June of 2020. I bought the last 1K pistol primers they had. $30.

Not a one since. Glad I stocked up during salad days.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Passed by the local Academy Sports today, noted that they had some ammo out on the shelves as opposed to behind the counter. Still no .38 Spl. or .357 Mag., no .45 ACP. Some .40 S&W, .357 SIG. A fair amount of 9mm, .223, a few odds and ends hunting calibers.

I am guessing .38 and .357 will some of the last ammo we will see stocked regularly on the shelves. .357 has never been cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if the new price on American made stuff to be close to 50 bucks a box.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
.22lr becoming "sane-ish" My gold standards for pricing have always been Good Shooting ($12.15/box for Center-X) and Champions Choice ($13.00/box for Center-X) but are always out for good reason! Found Center-X at Powder Valley for $14.03/box. Prices are getting in line as long as you stay away from Midway ($19.99) and the such.

nikonNUT

It hasn't been that long ago that I was buying Center X by the case from Champions Choice for $9.70 a box.
And it hasn't been 6 months since I was buying SK Standard+ 5.80 a box (I should have bought cases of the stuff in retrospect). It is what it is I suppose. I know of a place that sells Center-X for $11.82/box but I doubt they have it!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I stopped into my local Scheels yesterday. I took a look see at the ammo section and they had a fair amount in stock. Cases of 5.56/223, shelves full of 9mm, fair amount of .22LR (CCI Mini Mags on "special", $60/500rnds), looked like a lot the popular big rifle ammo was avail. Shotgun was a bit light. They had primers too.

Nothing was cheap, but the best selection I've seen in a while.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Made another pass by Academy just to see what they had on the shelves. A little bit more than last time. Surprised to see some .45-70. Even had two boxes of .38 Spl 158 gr. for $30/50!

nikonNUT

Pistol calibers seem to be getting more plentiful around here but hunting calibers are still scarce.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 All we see is 350 Legend... The number of boxes varies.

I suspect a shell game, since no one here actually HAS a 350 Legend.

@ColtRevolver, I have like six boxes of 357 from when Walmart was dumping their pistol ammo. It was ridiculous cheap... But I hate shooting 357 at the range, when I can make all the 38 Special I need for target shooting. Guess I'll save it for a bear invasion tornado or something.

"Bearnado Apocalypse." 🐻 🌪

AA

nikonNUT

In case anyone cares...
Norma is doing a black friday sale and selling 50 round boxes of 5.56x45 62gr SS109 penetrators' for 23.35/box with free shipping on orders over $150.00 so 350 rounds is $163.45. Not "horrible" if ya need it!
They also have .38 special for you wheel gunners. 28.99 for 50 158gr flat nose FMJ.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Went by Academy, still a 4 box limit on most things. Picked up a 20 round box of .300 B.O. that I really didn't need, a lone 50 round box of CCI 45 gr. HP .22 LR subsonics and 2 boxes of CCI .22 LR Standard velo. Passed on the 6.5 Creedmoor @$49.99 a box, they only had 4 boxes on the shelf.

Top Bottom