What's new

The Amazing Aristocrat: My holy Grail!

That’s a great idea Mark and a very generous offer to borrow your 36 for the comparison as that’s the match up I really wanted to do! 36 US vs British 15. So I’ll hold off on the comparison for now until the 36 gets here.
Your right about my 36. Once it’s done iyou know where it’s going.
I’ll only need a few days with yours before sending it back to you.
I have to find a user grade 36 but haven’t came across any lately.

Thank you again my friend!!

Frank

May I interject that I just finished a leisurely Sunday shave with my birth year 1936 Gillette Aristocrat, paired with a Personna blade, Erasmic soap, a silvertip badger brush, and Afta aftershave skin conditioner. It was an outstanding experience.

I recently learned a tip with the 1936 Aristocrat: Historically it had been a slightly harsh shaver for me, though tolerable. I recently learned to use a slightly thicker soap to water ratio, and now the shaves are close and comfortable with the heavier lather!

I'm an old guy born in 1936, and I've wet shaved daily since 1951, but I'm never too late to learn!

I shaved with my '41 Aristocrat yesterday and today, and I have to say it's a great razor. Should have started the "one blade in Feb challenge" with it, since it's much better than the other two razors I used (OLD clone and a NEW SC). The Rainbow blade I'm using is pretty mild -- very comfortable in the OLD clone but very stubbly shaves. The Aristocrat is giving me comfortable, blood free shaves with minimal irritation that are as close as anything I've gotten yet, on a used mediocre blade to boot.

Great razor.

I understand that the aristocrats are highly regarded.

Could someone indicate a model that is considered most affordable and of good shaving performance?

I understand that the aristocrats are highly regarded.

Could someone indicate a model that is considered most affordable and of good shaving performance?

48-50, and 51 Crats are smooth and are probably the most affordable. 46-47 slightly higher and the earlier ones 34, 36 are pricier and open comb.

No, I like the idea of a US/UK death match better. Besides, those are safety bar models. Not quite the same. The 1934 is a fine razor, and I generally use one quite often. But it’s a different style of shave. The 1936 is closer in aggressiveness. Maybe a better idea is to put the #15 up against a modern open comb. Say the Charcoal Goods level 2.

What is the difference between the '34 and '36 Aristocrats?? I have both (or at least I think I do) ab they look the same and I feel they shave the same.

17A294C9-92CF-4A94-B59F-BF51E1A13CF5.jpeg
What is the difference between the '34 and '36 Aristocrats?? I have both (or at least I think I do) ab they look the same and I feel they shave the same.

The sides are taller on the 36 and shorter on the 34. I know I can find a pic to show you the differences soon

Hmmm, mine seem to be both the same height. I guess I have either 2 '34s or 2 36s. Now to figure out what I have..

464D41DE-791A-46D4-AD08-8FA9B64A3BCB.jpeg

Hinges are also different. 1936 in the middle of 2 1934’s. Solid rivets on the arms of the 1934, hollow rivets on the 1936, if I’m remembering correctly.

So, is the #58 and Aristocrat? Who cares - its marvelous. I just acquired one, shaved with it once and I LOVE it.

Now I want a #16 & a #66 :biggrin1:

Oh this hobby of ours.

Top Bottom