What's new

The ALL Kamisori Info Thread (Or at least to expand on Kento's Kamisori Korner)

Newbie and not sure how this works, but I'm trying to post a few images and ask for advice if
1.This can be restored to shave ready?
2. Rough cost of restoring?
3. If I bought for $120 is it worth it?
Looks to me that it is an older, Swedish steel, Iwaski.
(Tried posting on the general site but no replies so will try here).
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Do you have bigger clearer photos?
Sight unseen that looks very worn and not worth the outlay but better pics might reveal more...

Just got this kamisori, my first. I would appreciate help in translating, but I think it says "Tamahagane uchi" (not sure what "uchi" means), Registered Mark, Kosanmaru (the maker), and then I don't know. Anyone know about Kosanmaru? Any info or reactions would be appreciated. To me it's a powerful little thing. Hard to use on the left side of my face, but I have high hopes. Thanks to advice from MJ Clark, as this seemed to me to be reasonably priced. Here two pics.
IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

P.S.
I now wonder if it says Tamahagane steel, and I think "uchi" means forged. And I'm not sure if it says registered. I'm pretty sure it was made by Kosanmaru.

Appreciate mjclark's help. Thanks.
I contacted Fikira about the exact translations (I hope it is OK to mention specific badgerandblade members). He said the maker is Kosanmaru. The 4 smaller characters are typical and mean "registered trademark." Three of the characters (far right) mean "Tamahagane forged". And the two kanji on the bottom left mean something like "specially selected" or "special approval" or "Special prize" or "high honor" which I understand from looking at the Please Tell Me About This Kamisori thread above, is a typical type of honorific on many kamisori's. --
I like the shave -- seems extremely sharp and able to get into little areas (of my old man's face) if careful.

Hi,
The seller wraps them for free if you buy one of his. His name is Tony Milton, in the UK. I have bought four things from him and am happy. Knows what he's doing, and the prices seem reasonable. Here is a link to his site, but it's looks as if he doesn't have any kamisoris up for sale now. assorted-kamisori-for-sale

Hi,
The seller wraps them for free if you buy one of his. His name is Tony Milton, in the UK. I have bought four things from him and am happy. Knows what he's doing, and the prices seem reasonable. Here is a link to his site, but it's looks as if he doesn't have any kamisoris up for sale now. assorted-kamisori-for-sale
Nice thats the type of wrapping i took inspiration of. I will check out his site, thanks.

So I have been reading a lot about kamisoris and just got my first one from a friend and I love it even though I am only one shave in. I really want to get an iwasaki razor so I have two questions for those who know a lot more about these razors for me.

1. Is iwasaki the pinnacle of kamisori razors?
2. Is it worth the premium to try to purchase a NOS made by Mr. Shigeyoshi Iwasaki or would buying a current generation be just as good.

I do not mind paying for quality but and although I find the history of kamisori razors fascinating I am not at the point that I am willing to pay double just because of rarity.

Thanks guys.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I am really looking forward to buy a kamisori razor too. Yet I have no expertise and experience with those razors. From what i heard and from what I tested on western razors the price justifies not the quality of the shave in the most cases. Different manufacturers uses different types of steel but the ability to shave well have the most. Only your skills on honing does make the difference here. Different razors demand different ways to get to their level of sharpness you need to find out how and solve the riddle. For example I have TI which needs some special treatment. For most cases however the standard way just works fine.

In regards of that perception I would say the price for a NOS Iwasaki justifies not the quality. You pay for rarity.
Is it the pinnacle of kamisori razors? It is top notch from what I heard. The "best"? Some customs are "better" maybe like Max Sprechers or Tim Zowadas. About other japanese kamisori manufactures I have nearly no knowledge. I think it is important to specify some attributes. Durability of the sharpness, aesthetics (for everyone different), how easy how hard is it to hone, value (how people regard the brand).

I would really like to have someone who shares his experience with an Iwasaki kamisori compared to a wester style razor. I cant find interesting threads about it. Some like it, some dislike it. I heard the Omote side is less forgiving because of its geometry. But is it controllable with some time to learn? How close is the shave in comparison? Is it softer or more aggressive than a western razor? Is its final bevel angle less than the usual (16-18°) on a western razor or more? How is the swedish steel to hone? So many interesting questions and the temptation to buy one gets bigger from day to day.

Greetings from germany stay safe guys. (This was my first post =) )

Top Bottom