What's new

The Airport - the Ninth Circle of the Fashion Inferno

Am I right? It's horrible. I don't harken back to the days when people dressed up to get on a plane, and I'm generally not a fan of too much formality, but the way people "dress" to get on a plane these days is often just embarrassing. It's like a collective loss of self-respect.

Thoughts? Comments? Observations?

Last edited:
At the end of Spring Break week I actually saw a girl in the airport wearing a swim suit under a dirty oversized t-shirt with flip flops - she looked hungover and like she had slept on the beach the night before.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
People used to wear suits to baseball games. Nowadays, the ticket line at an airport resembles a hot dog stand at the beach.

My brother flies for business fairly often. He is in sales. What does he wear? His pajamas and slippers. I guess his boss gave him some **** once when they flew together, but he still does it.

I wear a nice polo and that's about it. I've noticed I get treated better looking nice and not like some greasy redneck bum at the airport. I travel to see my wife alot and I'm sure she'd be mad if I didn't look decent upon seeing her.

I wear a nice polo and that's about it.

No wonder your wife is glad to see you! Must be nice haing you're spouse come home with nothing on but a polo shirt. Frankly, I always get hassled by airport security when I try that.

Nothing wrong with being dressed up, but I don't see the point of dressing up for a flight.

Specially after a long flight, the first thing I look for is a shower and change of clothes.

I dress for comfort when flying usually chinos or jeans, blundstone boots (easy off for security scans), a nice shirt and blazer. If I have to wear a suit at my destination, it stays in the garment bag until I check into my hotel.

I would agree, however, I would note that Americans seem to be the grossest transgressors of this trend toward "bedroom" airport fashion. No, you don't need to wear a three-piece suit but looking like you just spent the night being tag-teamed by a drug gang or get you mail in the airport is not appropriate. You also guarantee yourself poor treatment.

Dress for comfort, yes, but be prepared for whatever weather you may get stuck in.

I have seen people in shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops and no coat waiting for the shuttle in chicago or minneapolis in the winter because they checked everything and their bag didn't make it.

BE PREPARED.

I don't think we need to go back to dressing up for travel - as a really little kid in the 60's, I remember wearing a suit and tie on trips:smile:

I think a minimal effort should be required - I usually wear comfortable jeans and a long sleeved polo or light sweatshirt (I get cold on planes).

I've seen people wearing ratty sweats, shorts - all sorts of fashion nightmares.

Am I right? It's horrible. I don't harken back to the days when people dressed up to get on a plane, and I'm generally not a fan of too much formality, but the way people "dress" to get on a plane these days is often just embarrassing. It's like a collective loss of self-respect.

Thoughts? Comments? Observations?

... the way people "dress" to get on a plane these days is often just embarrassing...

True, but it gets even worse. Have you noticed how badly shaved the men are? Grim shadowed jowls, grotesque patches of stubble, hideous flaking skin. Not a baby's butt to be seen, except possibly screaming in the row behind you. Surely we live in the twilight of civilisation...

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
For short national flights and to Canada and Mexico, I normally wear a pair of slacks, chinos, dockers or whatever you name it and shirt. If I need, I pack a suit, sports jacket and ties. Wear slip-on shoes, like a nice pair of loafers - easy on and off for security check. When I travel overseas, and long flights when I not seeing customers after the flight, I wear a pair of Ex-officio pants (pants I wear normally for fishing), they are very light, comfy and have zippered back pockets.
What I totally dislike to see in airports and on flights are these who wear pajamas, and these horrible parachute silk suits:eek:

Being well groomed, dressing smartly (even in casual business attire) and being dressed comfortably for travel are NOT mutually exclusive things. If you buy proper fitting quality clothing and shoes it is amazing how well "dressed" you can look while still being as comfortable as a t-shirt and shorts for travel.

rgc

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I dress business casual when I fly, and I've yet to be tagged for overweight luggage, even though I rightfully should have on numerous instances.

The way I see it, the airline isn't going to make me comfortable, so unless I have to step off looking like I'm going to a meeting, I'll do what I can within reason to be comfortable on the plane. This usually means jeans in the winter, and shorts and sandals (partly because of the TSA) in the summer. I'll put on something nice because I usually do anyway, but I'm not going to dress up for the purpose of looking good in the airport and on board.

Sure, people dressed up for flying (among other things) in the olden days. But then, the airlines gave them more than 32 inches between seat backs, too. Ever since deregulation, airline flight has slowly shifted from something to enjoy to something to endure. Might as well dress appropriately.

Just another reason to fly yourself around. :wink:

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The airline snobbishness does kinda remind me of that episode from South Park.
Probably more true than even the creators imagined at the time.

Top Bottom