What's new

The Airport - the Ninth Circle of the Fashion Inferno

I dress up a somewhat to fly.

By design, I like to dress up a little every day. It's sort of my rebellion against the whole "dress up by dressing down" mentality of today.

Dressing up makes me feel good about myself. Now, that said, I don't wear anything uncomfortable either.

I like khakis and a polo shirt and a blazer (I like to keep my wallet in my jacket because it hurts my back being in my back pocket).

If I'm feeling frisky, I wear a tie.

Now, another reason I dress up when flying is for the people around me. It sounds strange, but I don't want them to have to look at me all grossed out, un-shaven, matted hair, bad breath, fat rolling over my belt, my ugly feet hanging out of my sandals, etc...

So, I dress up a little out of respect for my fellow traveling citizens. I've sat by too many men who didn't shower on a plane, and are wearing sandals and a dirty shirt or sweatshirt. No thank you. I do not want to be that guy.

I feel that you must treat yourself the way you want other's to treat you too. So, maybe I'm stuffy or whatever. I just don't want to be the fat, stinky guy in coach that people don't want to sit by.

I dress up a somewhat to fly.

By design, I like to dress up a little every day. It's sort of my rebellion against the whole "dress up by dressing down" mentality of today.

Dressing up makes me feel good about myself. Now, that said, I don't wear anything uncomfortable either.

I like khakis and a polo shirt and a blazer (I like to keep my wallet in my jacket because it hurts my back being in my back pocket).

If I'm feeling frisky, I wear a tie.

Now, another reason I dress up when flying is for the people around me. It sounds strange, but I don't want them to have to look at me all grossed out, un-shaven, matted hair, bad breath, fat rolling over my belt, my ugly feet hanging out of my sandals, etc...

So, I dress up a little out of respect for my fellow traveling citizens. I've sat by too many men who didn't shower on a plane, and are wearing sandals and a dirty shirt or sweatshirt. No thank you. I do not want to be that guy.

I feel that you must treat yourself the way you want other's to treat you too. So, maybe I'm stuffy or whatever. I just don't want to be the fat, stinky guy in coach that people don't want to sit by.

Well but that is a concern of personal hygeine and has absolutely nothing to do with dressing up. Wearing nice clothes doesn't make you cleaner than regular ones.

I'm sorry but this is the silliest romantic myth ever that back in the day everyone was going around dressed to the nines looking tip top. It's the upper class, the people with money who you see in old photographs (since those were expensive and the only people who had photos taken of themselves had money).

The working man, who made up the majority of the population, would probably be wearing something torn and filthy because a good pair of clothes cost a weeks wages and there weren't washing machines to toss your stuff into.

These kinds of threads are so incredibly snobby and elitist that it's quite funny.

Dressing up if you want to is fine but getting mad because other people don't want to is childish. People dress casual these days. Using your dress to put out some image of how upper class and high society you are isn't culturally important like it was in the past aside from in certain business settings today.

You mean I don't have to mow my lawn whilst dressed in slacks, a short-sleeve oxford shirt, and a pair of old dress shoes? But, what will the neighbors think?

Back in 1976 I had the nerve to fly home for Thanksgiving break wearing Earth shoes, jeans and a polo shirt. Classmates and the girlfriend who was driving me to the airport all thought I'd lost my mind. I can probably take claim for the dressing standards of airline travellers today. I'm so very sorry about that.

You mean I don't have to mow my lawn whilst dressed in slacks, a short-sleeve oxford shirt, and a pair of old dress shoes? But, what will the neighbors think?

You can, but apparantly since the clothes you wear are equivalent to personal hygeine then you'll contract lice and dirt will cover your body like a coal miner and the neighbours won't let their kids play with yours in fear that they might pick up some lower class manners..

You can, but apparantly since the clothes you wear are equivalent to personal hygeine then you'll contract lice and dirt will cover your body like a coal miner and the neighbours won't let their kids play with yours in fear that they might pick up some lower class manners..

proxy.php

I'm sorry but this is the silliest romantic myth ever that back in the day everyone was going around dressed to the nines looking tip top. It's the upper class, the people with money who you see in old photographs (since those were expensive and the only people who had photos taken of themselves had money).

I respectfully disagree. The dress code has change drastically over the last several decades. In the 60's, you didn't see grown men in tee shirts and sneakers in restaurants, in fact most people dressed better specifically to go to a restaurant. Until 1994, as an engineer, I was expected to wear a tie to work. Until the early 70's, the shirt that my father wore with his tie had to be white.

I question what experience you have to brand this a myth.

- Chris

G

gone down south

Social mores have changed, yes, but I would say we're better off not worse. I thiok society has benefited from getting rid of a lot of the old proscriptions.

Dad might have worn a shirt and tie to work every day, but if Mother tried to get a job she could be secretary or a nurse and could expect no recourse from any sexual harrasement at work. The black neighbor .... no, strike, that, no black family would be allowed to buy a house in this neighborhood. If daughter Sally happened to get pregnant, her life was ruined forever and she was condemned to be a social pariah. If son Dave was gay, he had no prospects but to live a secret life of shame.

If the biggest sacrifice we made was to get rid of a restrictive dress code, frankly I'm all for it.

And remember, every generation has criticized the next one for being too lax and permissive. Your grandparents thought that the time you're reminiscing about was a horrible example of youth gone wild. And their grandparents were horrified by what they wore. Adam probably thought Abel needed a haircut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Social mores have changed, yes, but I would say we're better off not worse. I thiok society has benefited from getting rid of a lot of the old proscriptions.

I agree wholeheartedly. There's nothing that prohibits me from following the same conventions that I laid out--they're just optional these days. Everyone's got a different comfort level and I tend a little to the conservative, but not to the point where I miss putting on a tie every day.

I guess it comes down to tolerance.

- Chris

I respectfully disagree. The dress code has change drastically over the last several decades. In the 60's, you didn't see grown men in tee shirts and sneakers in restaurants, in fact most people dressed better specifically to go to a restaurant. Until 1994, as an engineer, I was expected to wear a tie to work. Until the early 70's, the shirt that my father wore with his tie had to be white.

I question what experience you have to brand this a myth.

- Chris

Well exactly, but guess what, middle class white people from the suburbs aren't the entirety of society.

Do you think in the rural areas, in the inner cities back in the 60's everyone was going around in nicely pressed suits and with mirror shined shoes?

The suit has always been the dress for the upper classes of society, which is why it's so arrogant for people in this thread to be arguing that it somehow makes a person more respectable and better and people not dressed up must have poor personal hygiene. And it's hearkening back to different days, where the only people who could afford to fly were middle class professionals from out in the suburbs and above.

The only major difference now is that today society is more individualistic and social or cultural pressure to conduct onself in a certain way is far weaker than it was in decades gone by. And I think that's a good thing.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think the mindset is exactly the same. The ragdolls at the airport are thinking the same thing that the folks in the 60's thought when they travelled.
The difference is that the "fit in" uniform then was a shirt and tie, and today it's sweat pants and a t shirt.
I have had conversations with guys at the airport going back to school and if the topic of clothes came up, they invariably mentioned that they'd get flack from friends if they dressed like they didn't care.
That's been my experience. Just thought I'd share it.

I think the mindset is exactly the same. The ragdolls at the airport are thinking the same thing that the folks in the 60's thought when they travelled.
The difference is that the "fit in" uniform then was a shirt and tie, and today it's sweat pants and a t shirt.
I have had conversations with guys at the airport going back to school and if the topic of clothes came up, they invariably mentioned that they'd get flack from friends if they dressed like they didn't care.
That's been my experience. Just thought I'd share it.

+1 That has been my experience too. The uniform has changed.

Well but that is a concern of personal hygeine and has absolutely nothing to do with dressing up. Wearing nice clothes doesn't make you cleaner than regular ones.

I agree with you. But I have known multiple people in college who didn't take showers for days (in the hot Austin, TX summers). It was part of the uniform with the baja and all that stuff. I've meet many of the same sort in the airport going places.

It's been my personal experience with Western Culture that people who dress up a little tend to be a little cleaner or smell fresher. Maybe it's an age thing or maybe it has something to do with the friends you hang out with.

I knew a girl who didn't shower for quite some time. She went to the doctor because her arm pits were hurting. The doctor said it was some sort of fungus or something and prescribed showering and shaving her underarms. She was my girlfriend's (at the time) best friend. My girlfriend didn't tell me if the doctor prescribed any topical ointment or medication. Sort of an extreme case, but sometime people just smell and need to take a shower. :eek:

Or maybe I just prefer to sit by people who wear T&H 1805 or Musgo Real instead of last nights pizza and beer they've thrown up all over their t-shirt (seen that on my plane too). :lol:

I have travelled recently in t-shirt, cargo shorts, trainers and a baseball cap.

I had showered that morning but did not shave and the clothes were all freshly laundered. If I have offended any other travellers may I take this opportunity to apologise.

I totally agree with everything that's been said about the utter decay of public appearance in our country. It's not an issue of money. I think its more of an attitude that most Americans would prefer 100 cheap shirts over a few quality ones, or 100 ****ty flip flops over a decent pair of shoes, etc. Therefore it takes much longer to pick out clothes, much more difficult to keep things organized, and much more acceptable to throw any sense of fashion out the window so long as you haven't worn the same shirt in the past two months.
We have been convinced (present company excluded) that we have to have every piece of **** they throw at us, and we split up the money accordingly, rather than having a few quality pieces that can be viewed as both well-made and aesthetically pleasing.

I have a new mantra, quality over quantity. It has even helped my RAD.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I totally agree with everything that's been said about the utter decay of public appearance in our country. It's not an issue of money. I think its more of an attitude that most Americans would prefer 100 cheap shirts over a few quality ones, or 100 ****ty flip flops over a decent pair of shoes, etc. Therefore it takes much longer to pick out clothes, much more difficult to keep things organized, and much more acceptable to throw any sense of fashion out the window so long as you haven't worn the same shirt in the past two months.
We have been convinced (present company excluded) that we have to have every piece of **** they throw at us, and we split up the money accordingly, rather than having a few quality pieces that can be viewed as both well-made and aesthetically pleasing.

I have a new mantra, quality over quantity. It has even helped my RAD.

You may be on to something there! The 'quality over quantity' notion is an excellent way to build a wardrobe ... you GULP when you drop the coin for an expensive suit or shirt, shoes, whatever, but if you buy the right ones, you can wear them on a regular basis and get great "mileage" out of them. You also will notice ... and appreciate ... the quality difference compared to the generic crap that is sold most places.

Of course, the Might of the Consumer Society is aimed against you, and doubtless the urge to indulge all sorts of clothing-related ADs will be hard to resist ... but if you can ... :biggrin:

You may be on to something there! The 'quality over quantity' notion is an excellent way to build a wardrobe ... you GULP when you drop the coin for an expensive suit or shirt, shoes, whatever, but if you buy the right ones, you can wear them on a regular basis and get great "mileage" out of them. You also will notice ... and appreciate ... the quality difference compared to the generic crap that is sold most places.

Of course, the Might of the Consumer Society is aimed against you, and doubtless the urge to indulge all sorts of clothing-related ADs will be hard to resist ... but if you can ... :biggrin:

couldn't have said it better. :302:

http://tiny.cc/uk3u9

This G.F. Will op-ed has stuck with me. Not saying I'm with it 100%, it's just stayed in my head as I've looked around airports and thought "What is going on here?" Looking up Daniel Akst leads to some interesting reading as well.

"Jeans come prewashed and acid-treated to make them look like what they are not -- authentic work clothes for horny-handed sons of toil and the soil. "
"Denim is the carefully calculated costume of people eager to communicate indifference to appearances."
"Today it is silly for Americans whose closest approximation of physical labor consists of loading their bags of clubs into golf carts to go around in public dressed for driving steers up the Chisholm Trail to the railhead in Abilene."

Top Bottom