What's new

The Airport - the Ninth Circle of the Fashion Inferno

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The way I see it, the airline isn't going to make me comfortable, so unless I have to step off looking like I'm going to a meeting, I'll do what I can within reason to be comfortable on the plane. This usually means jeans in the winter, and shorts and sandals (partly because of the TSA) in the summer. I'll put on something nice because I usually do anyway, but I'm not going to dress up for the purpose of looking good in the airport and on board.

Sure, people dressed up for flying (among other things) in the olden days. But then, the airlines gave them more than 32 inches between seat backs, too. Ever since deregulation, airline flight has slowly shifted from something to enjoy to something to endure. Might as well dress appropriately.

Just another reason to fly yourself around. :wink:

Yep, I recall a "rule" that while on Company business you were to be suited, not a sport jacket .. but then things have degenerated considerably everywhere, from the behavior of Congress to what constitutes news. People today at the airport look like they just wandered out of Wallymart, air travel now is Greyhound minus unless you spring for 1st Class.

We Americans have adopted the "slept in our own filth" look all across the board, not just when we fly. :lol:

I'm not one of those guys that thinks people should put on a suit to go check the mail, but I also don't think I would ever be caught dead dressing like 75% of the rest of the population. In public at least.

BTW, how do you guys like my new engagement portrait?

proxy.php

Nothing says class quite like pleather and the confederate flag.
:tongue_sm

A few people still dress up. My father does, but then again he dresses up for everything. I usually just wear shorts and a t-shirt. Planes are so uncomfortable these days, anyway.

I haven't been on a plane in decades, but another place where I've noticed a total lack of appropriate clothing is in courtrooms. I did a stretch on Grand Jury duty a while back, and I was horrified to see that defendants in felony cases were showing up for their trials dressed in sweat suits or jeans and a T-shirt.

On those occasions when I had to go to court myself, even on something as simple as a traffic ticket, I wear a suit and tie. When I filed a petition several years ago, I was the only person in the courtroom besides the lawyers that was wearing an Oxford shirt and tie, and I carried my jacket over my arm, since it was stifling hot that day. My suit was old and slightly ill-fitting, but I made sure it was clean and that my shoes were shined, and I had all my paperwork ready in an old briefcase.

The other people that were filing the same day were dressed in such trashy-looking outfits as a paint-stained work shirts, a sleeveless motorcycle jacket, a pair of cut-off jeans with tennis shoes, a T-shirt with a Budweiser logo, etc. They carried their paperwork in plastic bags, or crumpled up in their pockets ... if they came prepared with paperwork at all.

What are these people thinking? And why don't their attorneys advise them on the proper way to present themselves?

Last edited:
Decorum, as a whole, has gone down the drain in this country. However, I remember when flying in an airplane was a classy form of transportation. I've watched airline travel slowly decay to were its at today. Today taking a plane is like taking a bus, only faster. You get treated like cattle, that's packing a gun. And its been nine years since 9/11 and we still have to empty our pockets into a plastic bin, along with our shoes:mad3: Cant they come up with something better? Faster? Why am I expected to show up two hours early, for a flight that lasts only one hour? Where's the food? Eight bucks for a box of snacks is no substitute for lunch. Flying is an end to a means now. Its just transpo. Not classy, not very comfortable, convenient, or cheap. Maybe first class is deferent, I don't know. Its doubtful I'll ever find out. People used to look, and dress sharp, still I never tire of the feeling of removing a neck tie. Let me get off my soap box. There, thats better. Oh yea, the people on the plane dress like bums.

An airplane is transportation. This isn't the 1920's when it is some magical new invention and taking a plane ride is an incredibly big deal. If you want a fancy luxury experience, then reach in your wallet and pull out the thousand dollars for first class. I want the cheapest fare possible, I'll suck it up and deal with less leg room and having to buy my own food.

If it makes you feel good to be uncomfortable on an airplane, then best of luck, but I'll stick with track pants and running shoes.

I really don't get this sort of romanticism of going back to the days where we were all dressed in suits everywhere we went. Society is more open, free, and easygoing than it has ever been before and fashion has followed it.

It bugs me seeing girls walking around in GAP hooded sweatshirts, sweatpants, and those eskimo boots, but that's more because I'd prefer they get done up for scenery purposes than because it offends my sense of decorum.

Couldn't really care about what people wear on the plane. I will admit, however, that on an international flight I wore a pair of dark, slim fitting jeans, a collared, button down shirt with burgundy pinstripes, brown oxford shoes and a blazer and I got treated very well. The very attractive stewardess kept the scotch flowing and was very social with me.

Then again, maybe she was nice to me because I'm so darn handsome :tongue_sm.

On a serious note (if that's possible), I make sure I'm always clean shaven and properly groomed. My skin tone and name won't help me get through security faster, so I have to do everything in my power to not be detained for "random security checks".

There was a time when I enjoyed flying but now it has become something to be endured regardless of where I am sitting. As for how people dress passengers and others; I don't have to emulate anyone. I don't much care how people look, act, smell as long as I don't have to do likewise. About all I/we can do is take pride in our appearance and hope others do likewise but there seem to be a lot of people who don't know or care about anything/anyone but themselves and it isn't difficult to recognize that trait. Perhaps some of this is due to ignorance, self-absorption, lack of social skills, the economy, etc. but I am considered to be a tolerant person so as long as it doesn't get physical it bothers me little if any. Besides, life is mostly chump change; I'm a chump if I think I can/will change much of anything/anyone so I keep my own counsel and hope others do likewise.

Be aware of your surroundings but try not to let them affect you.

Bob, u r a great Amerikan.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The way it used to be ...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unWkzRFQEyM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

what gets me is not so much the abandonment of the suit per se, but the abandonment of any attempt to look sharp, snappy or stylish at all. Is there really a 'comfort' benefit to wearing a stained "budwieser" t-shirt rather than a clean, fitted polos shirt? Is a 'hoodie' going to get you any further than a proper sweater? Make a bit of effort, people ... that's all we ask.

True, but it gets even worse. Have you noticed how badly shaved the men are? ... Surely we live in the twilight of civilisation...

I once got stranded in Seattle for an unexpected overnight stay due to ... well, fubar all around, on the part of two airlines and a braindead travel agent. Of course, my B&B-approved shaving kit was well on its way to Norway, so I had to make due with the single-bladed disposable dolled out by the hotel ... :eek:

We Americans have adopted the "slept in our own filth" look all across the board, not just when we fly. :lol:

I'm not one of those guys that thinks people should put on a suit to go check the mail, but I also don't think I would ever be caught dead dressing like 75% of the rest of the population. In public at least.

BTW, how do you guys like my new engagement portrait?

proxy.php

Needs more mullet and less teeth.

Flying used to be something that not everyone could afford. The cheapest options back then were train travel or bus, unless you drove yourself. With the cost down to where anyone of the unwashed masses can now afford it the general decorum came down as well. It's something that has happened in most segments of today's society.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Flying used to be something that not everyone could afford. The cheapest options back then were train travel or bus, unless you drove yourself. With the cost down to where anyone of the unwashed masses can now afford it the general decorum came down as well. It's something that has happened in most segments of today's society.

But back then, even the unwashed masses still could make a half-decent attempt at dressing up. Nowadays, no one gives a flying fuddleduddle ... or a bus-riding fuddleduddle for that matter.

But back then, even the unwashed masses still could make a half-decent attempt at dressing up. Nowadays, no one gives a flying fuddleduddle ... or a bus-riding fuddleduddle for that matter.

I'm sorry but this is the silliest romantic myth ever that back in the day everyone was going around dressed to the nines looking tip top. It's the upper class, the people with money who you see in old photographs (since those were expensive and the only people who had photos taken of themselves had money).

The working man, who made up the majority of the population, would probably be wearing something torn and filthy because a good pair of clothes cost a weeks wages and there weren't washing machines to toss your stuff into.

These kinds of threads are so incredibly snobby and elitist that it's quite funny.

Dressing up if you want to is fine but getting mad because other people don't want to is childish. People dress casual these days. Using your dress to put out some image of how upper class and high society you are isn't culturally important like it was in the past aside from in certain business settings today.

Top Bottom