What's new

The age old question about how to use a pre shave.....

The right way to use a pre-shave

• Total voters
Ok, so pre-shave oil is to be used when putting lather on top. And shave oil is by itself?
So Rabidus is using grapeseed oil...I wonder if organic virgin coconut oil would work too. I'm
going to try it.

edit: I was thinking pre-shave oil and shave oil earlier as the same thing. Sorry.
Tricky wording.
That's what Captp said all along above.
There's so much to this wet shaving. They say you'll save money by DE shaving. Pfftt, I've already spent more in 3 weeks than in 2 years of my old days shaving.

Ok, so pre-shave oil is to be used when putting lather on top. And shave oil is by itself?
So Rabidus is using grapeseed oil...I wonder if organic virgin coconut oil would work too. I'm
going to try it.

edit: I was thinking pre-shave oil and shave oil earlier as the same thing. Sorry.
Tricky wording.
That's what Captp said all along above.
There's so much to this wet shaving. They say you'll save money by DE shaving. Pfftt, I've already spent more in 3 weeks than in 2 years of my old days shaving.

Almond or grapeseed oil is considered carrier oils. Olive oil is also a carrier oil.

Almond and grapeseed oil is supposed to be good for skin.

What's your caster oil for @rabidus
Whoa, @captp so that stuff is about $13 an oz. I may try Rabidus' method first...or move to Greece to try it.

Accionmutante I haven't yet used it, but aim to try now.

Umm...I don't know... name brand preshave oils have caster oil in it. It's thicker than the Almond and maybe in there to add instant protection.

I found the recipe online. It was a 3:1 ratio, I added more caster to make it 3:2 ratio.

Edit...

I've used my own preshave oil for over 2 years straight. I get great BBS shaves and no issues.

So this begs the question...what do you throw together to make a shave oil?? What could you add to
caster oil, grapeseed oil to make a shave oil?

What's your caster oil for @rabidus
Whoa, @captp so that stuff is about $13 an oz. I may try Rabidus' method first...or move to Greece to try it.

Accionmutante I haven't yet used it, but aim to try now.

I started with Grapeseed and switched to Sweet Almond. I don't know which is better...

IMAG0122_1.jpg

Ok, going to make some 'shave oil'. Sweet Almond oil, grape seed oil, extra virgin coconut nut oil, rosehip oil and cedarwood oil. 14 oz. About 35 bucks. Lookout TOBS and Captain's Choice. :clap:

Shave oil doesn't sound like a great idea to me. I vote that it will clog the blade and that it will be a real pain to get rid of the sticky oily feel afterwards. I may be totally wrong however, looking forward to the results of your experiment.

I used preshave oil for a while. I made my own: grapeseed, almond, jojoba oils mixed...add a few drops of lavender or rose or frankincense essential oils. Massage in a few drops pre-shave, apply hot facecloth, lather over top. It didnt clog the razor and it didn't interfere with my lather. All in all...it was a nice (but not necessary) addition to my shave...so after a while I gave it up in favour of Proraso preshave creams. It is one of those YMMV things...

Thanks for educating us Jack. I had no idea the diff. btw pre-shave and just shave oil. Your thread has helped me immensely already. I always had trouble shaving the back of my neck with cream. Yesterday I just used pre-shave oil only and could see what I was doing. It really helped. I like having a smooth shaven neck.
How much guys, of my cedar and rosehip oil do ya'll think I should use. I was going to go 1 oz each but that may be too much? Thinking 1/2 oz each now, since that is for immediate pleasure and will get rinsed/washed off quickly anyway. I may up the total to 16 oz too.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The official ouch method-

Purchase pre shave of your choice
Throw in trash
Shave as usual

I use Crown Shaving Co. Supreme Glide Pre-Shave. In fact, it's the only shaving product that I use consistently.

For me, it helps keep my skin and beard moist between shower and shave. I realize that it's subjective (and perhaps imaginary), but after close examination and testing, it really does seem to give me better shaves. I'd love to figure out how to do a double-blind experiment on myself to confirm. :001_smile

I also like this particular product because it does not feel greasy. I don't have to wipe off my hands after applying it to my face. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for educating us Jack. I had no idea the diff. btw pre-shave and just shave oil. Your thread has helped me immensely already. I always had trouble shaving the back of my neck with cream. Yesterday I just used pre-shave oil only and could see what I was doing. It really helped. I like having a smooth shaven neck.
How much guys, of my cedar and rosehip oil do ya'll think I should use. I was going to go 1 oz each but that may be too much? Thinking 1/2 oz each now, since that is for immediate pleasure and will get rinsed/washed off quickly anyway. I may up the total to 16 oz too.

Whether you use an ounce each or a half ounce each you will still have a 1:1 ratio between the two oils.

You have to determine the purpose of each oil and determine what kind of ratio you want.

Too much of certain oils may not be good.

I have also learned over trial and error at least. Creams should go with creams and oils stick with oils.
Pre-Shave Oil can really mess up a lather from a standard cream/soap.

Now I'm more confused than when I clicked here, lol. But very entertaining and somewhat informative. The only thing I use my pre-shave oil for is to rub into my soul patch and make it soft...

Just watched a you tube video; the kid shaved using nothing but some extra virgin coconut oil...that's it. No cream, soap, nothing but the coconut oil. He got a good shave.
If you want to see an interesting video on oil shaving only, watch this one:

(if putting a vid up is not allowed, Mod can just delete this)

Last edited:
Top Bottom