What's new

The AeroPress Thread

IIRC, Mr. Adler said there were no problems in that regard. This was in the original Aeropress thread on coffeegeek. That was one of the longest threads I've ever seen on a forum, btw.

Wayne

Yeah, props to you, Alan, for finding the sort of geeks likely to use your product and showing up on their forums to answer questions. Have you done this anywhere else besides Coffeegeek?

I use my Aroe press at work all the time. Recently I ran into an expensive problem. My grind was a little fine and I was giving the press a little extra pressure when ~BLAM~ the filter blew out, slacks, shirt, tie, the wall needs to be painted in the kitchen, the only thing not ruined was my socks . That was probably the most expensive cup of joe I never got. :mad:

Anyone else have this happen to them ?

I use my Aroe press at work all the time. Recently I ran into an expensive problem. My grind was a little fine and I was giving the press a little extra pressure when ~BLAM~ the filter blew out, slacks, shirt, tie, the wall needs to be painted in the kitchen, the only thing not ruined was my socks . That was probably the most expensive cup of joe I never got. :mad:

Not yet! <crossing fingers>

Jim, we have got to get you a better grinder my friend.:eek:

Perhaps too much pressure?

When I use the thing, I don't press very hard at all. I press hard enough to "follow" the liquid through the filter rather than trying to force it through. It takes me about a minute to press through a full 4 cup brew. I really think that part of what makes the thing work so well is that air pocket under the plunger, which finishes the extraction from the grounds. I want that whole air pocket to be there as the liquid leaves the grounds.

With regards to the instruction manual and to technique:
I still use this almost daily and have changed a few things along the way.
No fancy schmancy grinders or thermometers are used in my prep.
Please allow me to share.

1. I grind my beans in a Bodum C-Mill as fine as possible. 30 seconds or so
2. Boil 16 oz of water in microwave
3. Assemble Aeropress and add 2 heaping tsp (teaspoons) coffee to unit.
4. Remove water from microwave and count to 15. Temp down to around 200 F.
5. Pour water onto grounds and fill to the top. Stir until well mixed.
6. Wait for about 3 minutes. (water / coffee level should be down to around the "2")
7. Begin the extraction and start pressing (30 -1min)
8. Add rest of water to the cup

Start to finish with hot water on grounds should be around 4 minutes.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I love mine!!

Some days I use 70 grams of coffee ground on a 38 with my Encore.
Other days I use 14 grams of coffee ground on an 11 with my Encore.
And sometimes I throw in a couple scoops of pre ground coffee.

I use a 20 oz tumbler.
Good stuff either way.
I have never brewed a bad cup with an AeroPress

We've been using one pretty much exclusively for maybe 3, 4 years now after using a Melita cone and paper filters since the end of the 70's. Grinding it fine with a Hario Minimill and i usual do 30g of beans or a bit less depending on the beans, to only half a cup of water.

Sort of French Press methodology, upside down steep for almost 4.5 minutes before plunging.

Used three times a day and have had to replace the plunger gasket once, getting to the point it may need to be done again.

Gave friends the same setup before they went to Kuwait for a year of teaching and they were thrilled to have it along.

Not much of an investment and i'm very happy with what ends up in my cup, not looking to replace it with anything.

Also in the time i've had mine, quite a number of local shops now stock them and the filters are very easy to come by.

dave

The aeropress makes a very good cup of coffee. It is really a step above a cheapo auto-drip machine that does not brew at ideal temperatures.

But over the past few years I have used mine less and less. I think that is because it is not as good as an espresso/Americano (YMMV) and just a touch more involved in setup and cleanup than a pour over, due to the three parts versus the single part which is the pour over basket.

Regardless I think all coffee enthusiasts should try it.

I've been using a french press lately and have been loving it. But hearing about this device has me intrigued. One of the things I like about french press is that you get the oils along with whatever fines get through. I've honed by grind setting so that I get very few fines out of a 4 cup carafe of coffee. So, what is the filter mechanism and does it allow the oils from the beans into the coffee that ends up in your cup? And do you get any fines? I actually don't mind them. They add to the "mouth feel".

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I go in phases. French press, Chemex, AeroPress, Mr. Coffee, clever dripped, and Moka Pot. Sometimes a Kuerig!

I use the same straight daily and same soap and same brush but rotate my coffee brewing method.

I'm weird!

linty1

My wallet cries.
I have been using my Clever coffee dripper at work and at home a French Press, decided to go back to the aeropress just to change things up... and a very smooth cup was had.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would post this series of videos from James Hoffmann that I ran across when investigating the Aeropress and thought they may be helpful for anyone else that comes along and wanting to learn more about it including tips.

The AeroPress (Episode #1)
This gives the background on the Aeropress and mentioned using the funnel for pressing into smaller glasses/containers that the Aeropress would normally not fit on (and other information). Also has a discount link for the Aeropress movie.

Understanding The AeroPress (Episode #2)
Compares several aspects of the Aeropress and tests differences in taste when inverting, using different temps, swirl vs stir, wet paper filter, etc.

The Ultimate AeroPress Technique (Episode #3)
Jame's favorite easy recipe and links to other recipes by other people as well.

AeroPress Accessories & Upgrades (Episode #4)
Compares all sorts of add-ons for Aeropress including cloth/metal/extra premium filters/prismo/joepresso/puck puck/an organizer, etc.

Reusing Filters? Competition Brews? Coffee For Two? Your Questions Answered (Episode #5)
Q&A session with the most popular questions answered including reusing filters.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Where the heck is that old Aeropress anyway?

1644088133515.gif

Way back when I was doing Engineering at Motorola, a bunch of us would get together to go camping, fishing and hunting. On one camping trip, a guy in the office invited himself along. He was obviously "lonely", and had relations with a lot of questionable females. Along the way to camp, he stopped to pick up a hitch hiker - hippie chick with matted hair, ratty appearance. Looked like should smell funny, but didn't. When the fire was set and a pot of water was put on to boil, she produced this thing that looked like a hefty launcher tube made for inserting feminine hygiene objects. She proceeded to make coffee with it. It smelled OK, tasted great, and when he wasn't busy having his way with her in one of our tents (he didn't have his own) it was her task to brew coffee.
Shortly thereafter, I went to work for a German Co. in Munich as a Sr. R&D Engineer. Several years later, I returned to the US, and encountered one of those feminine hygiene launcher thingies used to make coffee. It was the Aeropress. I found one used on E-Bay really cheap, and never looked back. Sure wish I had it while I was in Germany. It's the older model, made with supposedly the less desirable type of plastic, but it works just fine. It's sitting on the countertop next to a Bunn Coffeemker & gets almost daily use.

Top Bottom