What's new

The AeroPress Thread

That's an interesting process there Jim, and contrary to the instructions which say to use a fine grind no wait time once the water is added. It just goes to show versatile this gadget could be!

That's an interesting process there Jim, and contrary to the instructions which say to use a fine grind no wait time once the water is added. It just goes to show versatile this gadget could be!

Its what I have found to work the best. Coffee is nice and strong which is the way I like it and no crud in the bottom of the cup.

I learned to drink coffee while working the graveyard shift for 10 years, now I truely enjoy it. Its one of the simpler pleasures in life:smile:

I was at Williams Sonoma looking at a very nice Kitchen Aid coffee grinder (200 bucks, 300 on Kitchen aid's web site) and the salesman showed me the different grinds. He explained that the course/larger grinds are better for a coffee press. I couldn't afford the coffee grinder but I did buy 2 coffee presses, a small single cup and a larger one for multiple cups.

For me it makes the best coffee set on the highest/largest grind. After adding the water (boiled in a tea pot) I put the lid/press on and leave the press at the top. I let it sit for 4 or 5 minutes then press. The coffee tastes great, very different from my drip coffee maker. I love mine:biggrin:

I think this is a french press right? not an aeropress.

Picked up the Aeropress last night and gave it a go. This thing makes a great cup of coffee. I made a cup of Ristretto Decaf Columbian last night and some Ristretto Ethiopian Yirgacheffe this morning. It's so simple and cleanup is a snap.

Hat's off to Alan for a great product.

Anyone else using a Solis Maestro dial in the best grind setting?

Anyone else using a Solis Maestro dial in the best grind setting?

Hi boboakalfb,

Thank you for the kind words.

I used a Solis Maestro for a couple of years. It's an excellent choice for the AeroPress. I like its grind quality and its low residual hold (about a half-gram).

I like a setting about one or two marks finer than drip.

One approach is to pick the setting that presses in 10 to 20 seconds per scoop with moderate pressure (about 15lbs).

For an American mug, I put two level scoops of beans in the grinder, grind and use them all, and get a press time of 20 to 40 seconds.

Best,

Alan

We've had ours for a couple of years now, and alternated with our French press, Chemex and pump handle espresso machine. it doesn't make espresso by any stretch of the imagination, but it does produce an excellent cup of coffee, although I'd have to say that running it through the filter does moderate the flavor somewhat. Anyone try the CafeSolo? the reviews are really good on this one.
BTW--the cold brewing system--aka the Coffee Toddy, produces an interesting brew. Not enough of a bite for the regular cuppa, but great for summertime iced drinks, frappucino, etc.
And yes, in my spare time I'm a taster for a coffee company. For some inexplicable reason I discovered some years ago that I have a discerning palate where coffee is concerned.

Great pictures!

I am backtracking a bit on how much water I am using. I had crept up to the top of the "2" with two scoops of beans, ground. I find that it definitely impacts the quality, providing more acidity and "edge" as Alan said. Less water (and more dilution after) suits me better if I am drinking it black.

Just a quick question:

How important is the grinder to the quality of the coffee when using the Aeropress?

I've heard expresso experts say that the grinder is an extremely important component because consistency of the grind is critical to a good cup. Is this true for the Aeropress as well?

I have a blade grinder that I use with a French press.

Thanks guys,
Bob

Bob, the grind is important for most quality coffees. Consistent grinds make for a consistent quality cup of coffee.

Got my Aeropress yesterday and have used it a few times. All I can say is wow. I'm impressed by the coffee that comes out of such a simple machine. I'm hooked. Now to dial it in...

Just a quick question:

How important is the grinder to the quality of the coffee when using the Aeropress?

I've heard expresso experts say that the grinder is an extremely important component because consistency of the grind is critical to a good cup. Is this true for the Aeropress as well?

I have a blade grinder that I use with a French press.

Thanks guys,
Bob

Hi Bob,

With an espresso machine, brew made from the wrong grind can taste pretty awful.

The AeroPress is more forgiving. The primary effect is brew strength. If your grind is coarser than fine drip grind, your brew will be weaker but it won't taste awful. You can compensate for a coarser grind by simply using more coffee.

As I've mentioned in prior postings, I like a grind that presses through (with moderate pressure) in about 10 to 20 seconds per scoop of coffee. Most blade grinders take about 20 to 30 seconds (with a bit of "cocktail shaking") to grind two scoops to optimum AeroPress fineness.

If the grind all pours out of the blade grinder, it's probably not fine enough. Some of the grind should require coaxing with a spoon or paddle.

Best regards,

Alan

Thanks Alan; that's just what I needed to know!

I now have more shaving gear than a small army all because I followed the recommendations of the guys here. I'm not complaining - they were right in every case :smile:

So I'll be getting an Aeropress as well; it sounds perfect.
(At least people will nod knowingly when I tell them I've got a great new way to make coffee instead of the giving me that look that says "You've lost your marbles!" when I tell them I've bought yet another soap/cream/razor :smile: )

Bob

Awesome! I just received mine yesterday and brewed a cup today. I used some cheap coffee that my wife "borrowed" from a hotel during our last stay. I did not want to use the good stuff(i.e. Dunkin Donuts) because I had surgery on my nose 4 days ago and I really can not smell much, and therefore, taste much. However, the Aeropress makes such a difference, even with my out of commission snoz, that it was truly noticible. The smoothest, best tasting cup of coffee I have ever had. Great job Alan!

I still use a blade grinder that I picked a long, long time ago. One concern some people have about a blade grinder is heat. I shot some temperatures with an infrared thermometer that I have before and after grinding. The temp of the beans remained at room temperature or a degree above. I don't think heat is an issue.

Top Bottom