What's new

The AeroPress Thread

After considerable tinkering and caffeine buzz, I think I have got this thing in the zone. Backing off on the grind a bit helped (I liked DJ's thought on the table-salt size analogy), as well as getting the water closer to boiling.

For me, I like ratio's closer to the original instructions: two scoops of beans and a fill to the top of the "2" in the device. This, diluted to my mug, gets me the cup I am looking for. Some of the original trials led to very good coffee, but too intense for me.

And, as usual, the Ethiopia Harrar from Ristretto is wonderful.

Ive gotta get away from youse guys !!
Bought 1 last night.
DJ....
youre next.
Oh the humanity ...........:wink:

I just called to get my replacement... (it's actually 650-493-3050 not 5050).

I was all set to go through menus and what not... two rings... live person... whoa.

I didn't even know what to say, totally off guard. Anyway, ordered the part and she said they'll try to get it in the mail today! Sweet!

Hi all,

I received an Aeropress for Christmas from my lovely wife. Have to say that this product makes a great cup of coffee. The one problem I had at first was that the coffee got cold too fast. I solved this by 1st microwaving the amount of water that I need to brew then in a separate Pyrex cup I nuke the water that will be added to the original brew.

Guys, I picked up some of the "Sumatra Mandheling" and "Ethiopia Harrar" from DJ....followed his instructions and am getting the best tasting coffee I've ever tasted....who needs Starbuckles.

Great way to start the morning while reading the paper and watching Imus.

Patrick

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
After considerable tinkering and caffeine buzz, I think I have got this thing in the zone. Backing off on the grind a bit helped (I liked DJ's thought on the table-salt size analogy), as well as getting the water closer to boiling.

For me, I like ratio's closer to the original instructions: two scoops of beans and a fill to the top of the "2" in the device. This, diluted to my mug, gets me the cup I am looking for. Some of the original trials led to very good coffee, but too intense for me.

And, as usual, the Ethiopia Harrar from Ristretto is wonderful.

That seems to work well for me, too.:thumbup:

So, fellow smart alecks, anyone know off hand how many scoops to the pound? :confused:

Hi all,

I received an Aeropress for Christmas from my lovely wife. Have to say that this product makes a great cup of coffee. The one problem I had at first was that the coffee got cold too fast. I solved this by 1st microwaving the amount of water that I need to brew then in a separate Pyrex cup I nuke the water that will be added to the original brew.

Guys, I picked up some of the "Sumatra Mandheling" and "Ethiopia Harrar" from DJ....followed his instructions and am getting the best tasting coffee I've ever tasted....who needs Starbuckles.

Great way to start the morning while reading the paper and watching Imus.

Patrick

Okay...Aeropress good, coffee good, newspaper good...Imus..."quack quack", is he still whining???

Randy (Hoping for delivery of an Aeropress today!)

I recommend that you try the Nicaraguan also. So far its my favorite of all the great coffees from Ristretto Roasters and our friend DJ.:thumbup1:

Well, after all this discussion (and being the recipient of an Amazon gift card from my sister for Christmas) I have bitten the bullet and ordered an AeroPress.

I really like the sound of this thing, because I work days and my wife is a third-shift person. I always end up wasting coffee, and it sits in the drip pot too long and gets stale. Bleah.

Well, after all this discussion (and being the recipient of an Amazon gift card from my sister for Christmas) I have bitten the bullet and ordered an AeroPress.

I really like the sound of this thing, because I work days and my wife is a third-shift person. I always end up wasting coffee, and it sits in the drip pot too long and gets stale. Bleah.

Friend you won't go wrong with the Aeropress.

Hi All,

Someone asked, "How Many AeroPress Scoops to the pound?" The answer is about 38.

Here is some coffee math that I posted on the coffeegeek forum about a month ago:

A level AeroPress scoop of beans or grind weighs approximately 12 grams (sometimes a bit less).

Over the past four decades, several coffee researchers, including Ted Lingle of the SCAA (Specialty Coffee Association) have found that the best flavor results when coffee is extracted at a rate of 20% and diluted to a strength of 1.25% coffee in water. When you use the AeroPress as directed with fine drip grind and 175F water filled to the top of the 2 oval, you get 20% extraction.

Following these recommended guidelines for two scoops (24 grams of coffee) we get:

20% extraction = 0.2*24 = 4.8 grams of coffee extracted from the grind.

1.25% brew strength: 1/.0125 = 80 grams of diluted brew per gram of extracted coffee.

80*4.8 = 384 total grams of brew, or 13.5 ounces.

However, you don't get to drink all of that because with all brewing methods some of your brew is trapped in the damp grounds. That reduces the drinkable brew to about the volume of an average 10-ounce coffee mug.

The lower bitterness and acidity of the Aero lead many users to prefer a richer brew than the SCAA standard of 1.25%. So if your two scoops of coffee are diluted to an 8 ounce Americano, you'll probably like it even more.

Best regards,

Alan

I had been using and loving my Moka pot, but the last coffee thread and now this one (love that manufacturer input!WOW! thanks Alan) have convinced me to go aero. I am just happy that this one doesn't cost a lot. Nice thread!

One other trick I have picked up over the past few days. I use a tea kettle to heat the water. While you are soaking your grounds, stirring, pressing, etc., put the kettle back on the stove to keep hot. This way when you dilute the concentrate, you get a very hot cup of coffee, but don't have to worry about that extra water passing through the grounds and over-extracting.

At home, we have an "instant hot water" tap, set for 175F. It makes AeroPressing a joy. When we demo at trade shows, we use an Adagio Tea "Utilitea" electric kettle which has a dial that we set for 175F. T-Fal also makes an adjustable-temp electric kettle.

Here on vacation in Kauai, I'm using a little immersion heater. We have a microwave oven too in this rented condo and that's a bit faster than the 3 minutes needed for the little (300 watt) heater. But the heater is silent and I leave a thermometer in the cup, then pull the plug as it approaches 175F.

I heat about nine ounces of water in 3 minutes, use about half of it in the AeroPress, then add the remainder to the cup of concentrated brew, then add a little tap water to bring the temp down to a comfortable drinking temp.

You can nuke water in our plunger until it boils, then add a bit of tap water to bring it down to 175F. Or you can stop the micro at about 75% of the time to boil to achieve about 175f.

Best regards,

Alan

Update 1/12/07 I corrected the number of ounces to nine.

I use the hot water tap on my espresso machine. But I also have and use a Bodum hot pot that is AWESOME!!

It's called the Bodum Ibis. I've had mine for probably a year and a half

http://sweetmarias.com/prod.misc.shtml

Scroll about half way down the page and read Tom's commentary...

If you don't have a hot water tap - this thing is the bee's knees.:001_tt1:

This morning I microwaved a half mug full of milk until hot, and then aeropressed my coffee right on top - a fantastic latte (or whatever you would call it, since there was no foam) that blows the doors off what you can get at a cafe. I continue to be impressed.

Top Bottom