What's new

The ads are back - 01/06 UPDATE: Recent ad break out is fixed

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Oh, I know Guido!
It can be arranged.
Man. I have a story. A true one. Doggone!

How do I tell it and stay outta jail?

Well, suffice it to say, anybody that'll paint houses for 25 bucks probably won't be able to give you any confidence in the work ...

So be a contrib u tator my friend!

I really gotta right that book doggone!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Man. I have a story. A true one. Doggone!

How do I tell it and stay outta jail?

Well, suffice it to say, anybody that'll paint houses for 25 bucks probably won't be able to give you any confidence in the work ...

So be a contrib u tator my friend!

I really gotta right that book doggone!
But who is gonna read a book that I roted. Or righted. Or read a book I wrote when I was trying to write one, right?

Yeah. I also had trubbles with math.

The worst ones are the full screen pop up ads, then the ones that leave only a half screen to view content as they don't move when scrolling. Also have to close the keyboard as there is an ad blocking the post reply button.

I guess the algorithm must be banjaxed as I am receiving ads for betting sites and have had no interest in placing a wager since I took out a mortgage over a decade ago.

Using Android if that makes a difference.

2C7BE493-E9D8-4000-BD30-1221D227AC2D.png
Ads showing up again on my iPhone in Safari! Arrgghh!!

I just did a factory reset on my iPad yesterday to clean out old memory and today, while going to page 2 of this very thread Im greeted with:
76A177CE-1AB8-453A-9038-049E22A60E33.jpeg

Reactions: ctr
Your experience is not going to be ad free.
Non contributors are going to get ads.
That’s one of the reasons I don’t come around as often as I once did. If I’m going to spend my money on a web page I’ll spend it on something like Kelbyone where I get a tangible return on my investment. I didn’t mind the ads at the top and bottom of the page, but when they take over the page, they crossed the line.

I realize it costs money to maintain this forum and that contributors and advertisers pay the bills. But you need the leaches like me to have the traffic to justify the price you charge for the ads. When all the leaches are gone because the got tired of the pop up ads, then the contributors will need to dig deeper when the advertisers start cutting back.

I think I’ve seen enough. Bye bye.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That’s one of the reasons I don’t come around as often as I once did. If I’m going to spend my money on a web page I’ll spend it on something like Kelbyone where I get a tangible return on my investment. I didn’t mind the ads at the top and bottom of the page, but when they take over the page, they crossed the line.

I realize it costs money to maintain this forum and that contributors and advertisers pay the bills. But you need the leaches like me to have the traffic to justify the price you charge for the ads. When all the leaches are gone because the got tired of the pop up ads, then the contributors will need to dig deeper when the advertisers start cutting back.

I think I’ve seen enough. Bye bye.
Thanks for your perspective. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. I don't think of our members as "leeches", it's interesting that you do.
Apples and Oranges between a discussion web site and one whose purpose is to sell online classes, but ok, glad you have a place you feel more comfortable.
I think everyone pays for access here in one way or another.
Ads, Contributors tags, working for the site on a team such as Wiki etc., but if we can't pay the bills - no one gets to enjoy the site, "leeches" or otherwise. A contributor at the lowest level is paying less than 7 cents a day. That doesn't seem outrageous, but I've been wrong lots of times before.

Last edited:
For me epic ads started tonight. Top, bottom of page, in between forum entries and a full iPhone screen overlay popup on most new pages. Clearing the safari cache fixed it.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
As an advertising practitioner + advertising design teacher, I can understand that the website needs advertisements to run. Most of the websites I usually use contain FB, and IG is also full of advertisements--I never feel uncomfortable.
But recently B&B's ads have indeed affected the user experience and slowed down my page conversion speed. Even if I cleared the chrome cookie, it was still occupied by the bottom + full-screen pop-up. The situation has been the same since it happened.

My phone is not big, the bottom of the screen is occupied by advertisements, and the readable area is smaller. Therefore, it is more troublesome than occasional pop-up advertisements.

Although I have really reduced the frequency of browsing my favorite B&B these days, I still appreciate the hard work of the maintenance team.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As an advertising practitioner + advertising design teacher, I can understand that the website needs advertisements to run. Most of the websites I usually use contain FB, and IG is also full of advertisements--I never feel uncomfortable.
But recently B&B's ads have indeed affected the user experience and slowed down my page conversion speed. Even if I cleared the chrome cookie, it was still occupied by the bottom + full-screen pop-up. The situation has been the same since it happened.

My phone is not big, the bottom of the screen is occupied by advertisements, and the readable area is smaller. Therefore, it is more troublesome than occasional pop-up advertisements.

Although I have really reduced the frequency of browsing my favorite B&B these days, I still appreciate the hard work of the maintenance team.
Growing pains are never easy, and this one has been fraught with pain. Getting the pendulum to stop mid swing has been harder than anticipated.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just so we're clear ...

... when we say "there will be ads", it doesn't mean we are intending there to be an impenetrable wall of annoying ads all over the place making B&B almost unusable. That sort of stuff, seen recently, is an unintended consequence of some technical problems that the egg-heads in the computer department are scratching their egg-heads over trying to fix and that I can't really explain except to point at the egg-heads.

proxy.php

Hopefully soon we will be back to "normal" around here and that means
  1. contributors will see no ads, and
  2. non-contributors will see ads, but not so obtrusively as to drive them away.

Top Bottom