What's new

The Adjustless Collection

I've been trimming my collection down to the "basics" lately, and I find myself conflicted over the 1959 E3 Fat Boy.

I know it's a "must have" razor. But I never use it. And I probably never will.

I enjoy selecting the right razor for the right job on the right morning from the simple quiver of specialty Super-Speeds and various other non-adjustable lovelies such as the Schick Krona, Gem G-Bar, and the Hoffritz Slant. (It's the very non-adjustability of them all that makes the selection process so fascinating...so important...and so much fun!)

Am I wrong to toss the coveted Fat Boy out of the collection?

Christopher

Its funny I'm not a great fan of the Fat Boy, it rarely makes it into my rotation. Yet whenever I sell mine I always end up buying a new one, usually for more than I bought the last one for :frown: So I'd say hang on to it unless your resistance to RAD is very strong.

Its funny I'm not a great fan of the Fat Boy, it rarely makes it into my rotation. Yet whenever I sell mine I always end up buying a new one, usually for more than I bought the last one for...

I know. I know. It's happened to me too. But I feel so wasteful having a nice '59 Fat Boy setting unused in a drawer to gather dust for all eternity.

What a shame...

Me

I'm with you on the Fat Boy, Christopher. I love the way it looks, and it has very nice balance and heft, but it just doesn't shave me very well. My Progress is a much better shaver.

However, like you, the non-adjustables work best for me. My daily shaver is a 40's Superspeed, and I rarely reach for anything else.

I'm keeping a Fat Boy to look at, though.

Chuck

If you dont like it and wont use it, why keep it??? You could dump it and pick up something (s) that you will use. Sounds like a no brainer to me. Unless you just want it for the collection and to say you have, other than that, really no reason to let it collect dust when someone out there will get good use out of her.

In the past few months I have sold a few razors that I regret not having kept. I use my Mergress 90% of the time, but I display the other razors that I have. With the prices on E-Bay hold on to it for a while, you might be able to pay for a lifetime supply of creams or soaps with the profit.

If you dont like it and wont use it, why keep it??? You could dump it and pick up something (s) that you will use. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Exactly!

Unless you just want it for the collection...

Ugh. (Exactly, and there's the rub.) The Fat Boy is a Gillette collection essential. How can I not have one? That's like a DVD collection without The Beakfast Club.

Me

If you are planning on getting rid of it, please let me know. I am new to the de shaving. I want to start so I can teach my son some day when he gets old enough (many years from now). I want to be able to pass something down to him and hopefully he can pass it along to his. I am trying to collect all of the stuff I need to start wet shaving and I'm having no luck trying to get a fatboy.

ghost

I like the simplicity of non adjustable razors too. I use them 98% of the time at present. OTOH, aside from being a collector and having many DEs I don't use I like having the option of using a Fatboy when I want to. The day may come when all I want to use is a Fatboy. It is like a fellow told me about the ocean. He said he never goes but it is nice to know it is there if he ever wants to.

It is like a fellow told me about the ocean. He said he never goes but it is nice to know it is there if he ever wants to.

I can't argue with that logic. I can see both points of view though. I have a buddy who says I have S.W. Montana's largest paperweight collection since in his eyes if a razor is not shaving stubble or being sold for a profit it is useless. :001_rolle

You can have my #58 when you pry it from my cold dead lathered hand.

I'm new to the DE game, but I've been trying to gather a collection for my own use, as well as making a nice set for my Father for Fathers day. Am I that far out when I say that the Super Speed and the Fat Boy have almost the same head? I'm basing this off a D3 SS and a E1 Fat Boy that I have so far. Does anyone know if the Fat Boy has a setting that puts it on the same level as the Super Speed?

Am I that far out when I say that the Super Speed and the Fat Boy have almost the same head?

That's a hard question. Yes and no. The exterior is the same. (I think.) The interior--adjustability--is obviously different.

I'm sure one of the Fat Boy settings is on par with the 1950s SS high profile head design. I don't know which one. My guess is somewhere between one and nine. (Maybe a three?)

Me

I've been trimming my collection down to the "basics" lately, and I find myself conflicted over the 1959 E3 Fat Boy.

I know it's a "must have" razor. But I never use it. And I probably never will.

I enjoy selecting the right razor for the right job on the right morning from the simple quiver of specialty Super-Speeds and various other non-adjustable lovelies such as the Schick Krona, Gem G-Bar, and the Hoffritz Slant. (It's the very non-adjustability of them all that makes the selection process so fascinating...so important...and so much fun!)

Am I wrong to toss the coveted Fat Boy out of the collection?

Christopher

Like you I have a number of razors - Gillettes & GEMs. None are collectible quality and I try to use them all. My Fat Boy (G-1) was one of my earlier acquisitions and I started using it before my technique was solid, so my shaves with it weren't especially good. That and I found myself liking other razors - Tuckaway, Big Fellow, NEW - better. Well I tried the FB about a month ago after not using it for at least 8 months and got some exceptional shaves. I'm very glad I didn't sell it. Give it a try sometime and see what kind of shave you get.

jim

Top Bottom