What's new

The absurdity of Aggressive VS Mild

I posted a WTB a few days ago that was well answered and I was able to buy 5 BRW custom razors. Among them are what is considered to be the mildest DE head made (Gillette Tech) and the most aggressive DE head made (Muhle R-41 2011). You would be hard pressed to get a more extreme example of aggressiveness/mildness than these two razors display. All 5 of the razors I bought from my WTB post have BRW (Cooncat Bob) custom handles but the two razors I used yesterday and today have the same exact same bull mastiff handle (only the head is different).

Yesterday I shaved with the R41 (2011) using one of my fave four blades (Voskhood teflon). This was the first time I used that model razor and after reading about all of the bloodbaths others have endured with it I must say that I was a little reluctant but jumped in with both feet and "got er done". I used what I consider to be my silky smoothest shave cream (Trumper's coconut oil cream) and a super silvertip brush.

All I can say about the R41 is..... WOW.... After three close, comfortable, passes I had a BBS shave. No irritation, no weepers, no nicks, no cuts. In short, all of the blood stayed on the inside. Now I did treat this DE razor like I treat my straight razors. Stretching the skin more than I would normally do with a DE and rinsing the blade more frequently and tackling an area of the face at a time. I cannot compare the extra weight of the bull mastiff handle to the stock Muhle handle as the razor only came with the bull mastiff (I like heavy razors) so I don't know if the extra heft helped with the shave or not.

Today I shaved with the Gillette Tech headed RBW custom, again using one of my fave four blades (a Feather). I've shaved with a fat handle tech in the past so I knew what to expect but the added weight of the BRW bull mastiff handle made that Tech head just sing. I used Truefitt & Hill Luxury shaving soap and made a lather in my shave bowl with a custom knotted barber's handle Rubberset.

All I can say about the Tech headed BRW is.... WOW (again). Four passes that gave me a close, comfortable, irritation free BBS shave. I did not need to stretch my skin nearly as much as I do with a straight or with the R41 to get an incredibly close shave.

Conclusion:

Shaving with the most aggressive DE head and the mildest DE head made no difference in the closeness or comfort of the shave I was able to achieve. Both of these razors performed admirably in providing me a close comfortable BBS shave.

So in my mind the mild vs aggressive debate is closed. They are both winners.

Today's tools:

proxy.php

Yesterday's tools:

proxy.php

Last edited:
I think that for most people, a close and comfortable shave should be possible with any well made DE razor. Technique is more important than equipment. Just like Eric Clapton will sound better on a department store guitar than most anyone using a Fender Stratocaster, someone with great technique will get most any razor to give a great shave. There may be a small subset with unusually wiry beards that can only get a comfortable shave with a super aggressive razor, but I suspect they are the exception.

Perhaps you got lucky with the blade combos the first time... I mean your first try with these particular razors.

Last edited:
Perhaps you got lucky with the blade combos the first time... I mean your first try with these particular razors.

I chose the blades carefully for the first run though these razors. I've been around the block enough times to get a fair grasp on what "should" work best in each style of head even though both head styles are new to me.

I plan on going back and forth with both razors over the course of the next week using different blades. Next duo will be an Astra SP in the R41 head and a Med prep in the Tech head.

I have a fair assortment of blades that I can pick from to run through both razors but I am leaning toward using sharp blades in the Tech head and smooth blades in the R41 head based on past experience with other razor/blade combinations in the past. I don't think I will stick a feather, med or black/yellow o'clock in the R41 as they are just too "edgy".

proxy.php

I chose the blades carefully for the first run though these razors. I've been around the block enough times to get a fair grasp on what "should" work best in each style of head even though both head styles are new to me.

I plan on going back and forth with both razors over the course of the next week using different blades. Next duo will be an Astra SP in the R41 head and a Med prep in the Tech head.

I have a fair assortment of blades that I can pick from to run through both razors but I am leaning toward using sharp blades in the Tech head and smooth blades in the R41 head based on past experience with other razor/blade combinations in the past. I don't think I will stick a feather, med or black/yellow o'clock in the R41 as they are just too "edgy".

Don't shortchange yourself on the Feather/R41 combination. It's the best shave I've ever gotten.

Well - I would say the R41 (which I own) and the Feather, while an extremely close shave, is not the smoothest shave for me. I would much prefer the slant.

But I agree with you about "mild" razors; I used my Super Speed Gillettes this week (red tip and flare tip rocket) and got very close and smooth shaves.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Don't shortchange yourself on the Feather/R41 combination. It's the best shave I've ever gotten.

Yepper to what Tony said, but then I may be in that small subset referenced, I could never get a Tech to cut a good shave, tried 6 passes once .. :) and no cigar

I think if you had to shy away from the sharper blade in the aggressive razor and put it in the milder razor you are negating the attributes the razors are known for. I used my new Tradere handle on my R41 head today with a Gillette Yellow (third shave with this blade) and it was unbelievable. Smooth and close. I think the added weight makes a huge difference. I think the fact that it took four passes with the Gillette head and only three with the R41 speaks volumes about which one does a better job of mowing down whiskers. Try them on even footing and I bet the R41 will come out on top.

Yepper to what Tony said, but then I may be in that small subset referenced, I could never get a Tech to cut a good shave, tried 6 passes once .. :) and no cigar

I'm a fan of the Tech also, probably because it's what I learned with. I can get a good shave out of pretty much anything, but the Feather/R41 combo is the winner for me!

Well I think Turtle has the idea by matching a mild razor like the Tech with the feather, and using a smoother blade in the R41...for me those always seem to be the best combo's....gives more balance and equilibrium .....makes total sense to me...

My sentiments exactly, turtle. I feel like too many make too big a deal out of "I must have X aggressiveness in order to get a good shave." I think this extremism is relatively common but, I think, the results have much more to do with technique.

When I first started using a single ring, I thought I HAD to use only aggressive razors because my results were better than any before. What really happened was that my technique had improved. I've since used a Gillette Tech, NEW, Tuckaway, Superspeed, Slim and Fatboy and get almost identical, excellent results with all of them...with the same blade, prep, etc.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm not sure technique explains it all away .. there are pretty significant variations in men's beards. I canna get a Tech to "cut it", and probably first used a Tech while Ike was in office. While I was in chemo, you could cut it with a spoon, after not so much.

I haven't payed much attention to the agressive/non aggressive razor labels,what's working for me is eliminating variables.

I thought it seemed logical to find a really sharp blade I like a lot and stick with it,I've got a drawer full of Feathers,they're the only blade I use.

I always use VDH Deluxe Shaving Soap,it's available from the Pharmacy down the street,been getting a good protective lather out of it.

The razor(s) that works best with the above get used most often,in general I'm having the most success with 3 piece razors,my TTO's seem to require more strokes and produce more skin irritation.

Last edited:

proxy.php

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who had a blade door like that.

I think that I need to try that Trumper's Coconut Oil Cream, so far the 2011 R41 has been stressful, although bloodless shave.

..... so far the 2011 R41 has been stressful, although bloodless shave.

No reason to stress over the R41!! My first shave with it was...cautious...mostly due to the stories and the infamous youtube video...But I find now I can use it as quickly as any of my razors...what it has done for me is greatly improve my technique.

As I'm writing now...just felt my face...I shaved this morning and my face stills feels good...starting to feel some stubble ATG...so no longer BBS, but I could go out and look perfectly presentable. So far this is the only razor I own that gives me such close shaves..I have learned that some blades work better than other in the R41...the Gillette Yellows...while close, makes my face feel "raw" for several hours..

Blades cost less than razors and perhaps I've got this backwards but I feel like a razor needs to work with my preferred blade choice.If a razor can't house an ultra sharp blade and provide a close shave with minimal irritation,then my blade's just fine...I've got the wrong razor.

Blades cost less than razors and perhaps I've got this backwards but I feel like a razor needs to work with my preferred blade choice.If a razor can't house an ultra sharp blade and provide a close shave with minimal irritation,then my blade's just fine...I've got the wrong razor.

I agree. I am going to spend the next month only using my two most agressive razors, the 2011 R41 and the Parker 97r, in hopes of improving my technique. If after a month they still frighten me, I will probably put them up on B/S/T.

I can use the rest of my razors with any of my top four blades and do it almost without thinking, just second nature. Even the 2010 R41 I am completely relaxed with.

That is a very nice blade selection turtle, I spied a Treet Classic in there. Its just that, in my rather inadequate experience, I have found Voskhods and Feathers to be some of the smoothest and mildest blades. Feather maybe sharp but when just glided over the skin, it won't do much damage. Now I have a Gillette Open Comb Old Type and I just cannot seem to tame it. Its an excellent razor, nice DFS always but it burns me so bad that I have only been able to try about 4 blades with it yet, the burn lasts a while after each attempt. So I'd call that post title a bit extreme, some have to work a lot harder to find that ideal combo.

Well for me and my kind of hair i cant get a decent shave with a mild razor without using a very sharp blade. Thats why i use a Schick Krona if i want to use the Rapira SS blades i bought recently. With Red Tip i have a feeling it would be slicing festival.

Top Bottom