What's new

The absurdity of Aggressive VS Mild

Here's where I run into a problem with my logic.... Not matter how stubborn I am with my insistance on only using blades considered among the sharpest (Feathers in my case) I've still got a handfull of TTO razors that have sentimental value,I want to keep them.... but aren't giving me nearly as good of a shave as my 3 piece razors give.

This question's open to anyone
: If I want to continue to shave with my TTO's and match or at least come close to the great shaves I'm getting out of my 3 piece razors that have Feathers on board..should I consider using something other than Feathers in my TTO's ?

Well....as the say...your mileage may vary....but, I have found different razors like different blades. What blades have you tried???? some of my favorite blades are : Supermax Super Platinum, Iridium super, Gillette Blacks, Gillette Yellow, Personna Red from Israel .

I prefer my open combs, but like you I keep my TTO's due to sentimental reasons....but I can still get a excellent shave out of my slim, or my 40's NDC SS with the right blade. Go on the blade part of the forum...there's a never ending blade pif....try a few, give a few before you commit to any purchase...or contact Dave at Razor blades and more and I'm sure he will send you a few free samples.....he always send me at least 15-25 free blades with every purchase...It's been a great way to try blades I may have not considered....it's how my brother found one of his latest favorites, the Lord SS.

Well, I can get from my house to work by hoofing it, or I can ride a gnu.

In the sense that I get to work, it's all the same, but if I posted a thread on the absurdity of shoe versus gnu...

You have very good eyes to have been able to tell that from the miniscule part of the back that tuck of blades that was visible.

Why, thank you turtle :blushing:, one should know the tools of one's vocation, also I knew those bionic implants would come in handy one day.

Last edited:
Shaving with the most aggressive DE head and the mildest DE head made no difference in the closeness or comfort of the shave I was able to achieve. Both of these razors performed admirably in providing me a close comfortable BBS shave.

3 Passes to a BBS shave. No stubble that I can find anywhere on my face even when pressing and pulling across my skin as hard as I can. The skin is still there but it seems my beard was removed BELOW the skin as it is that close.

Contradictory statements here, my friend. A Tech won't give you that kind of shave.

Well, I can get from my house to work by hoofing it, or I can ride a gnu.

In the sense that I get to work, it's all the same, but if I posted a thread on the absurdity of shoe versus gnu...

:lol:

proxy.php

Shave 4 of the comparison (day 2 with the Tech).

Back to the Gillette Tech headed BRW bull mastiff, this time loaded with a Personna Med prep blade.

Soap was a Valobra stick which was face lathered with a Duke 2.

AGAIN I will have to use the same exclamative I used for the 3 previous shaves. WOW

4 Passes to a BBS shave. No stubble that I can find anywhere on my face even when pressing and pulling across my skin as hard as I can. Once again WOW

Conclusion:

Looks like the Gillette Tech head will shave just as close as the Muhle R41 2011 head will. Each razor requires its own technique and approach to get the perfect shave but the end results I was able to obtain from the most aggressive head on the market and the mildest head on the market were identical. Smooth, comfortable, close, BBS shaves.

When I started this head vs head Tech VS R41 test, I had no idea that I would come to this conclusion. I don't see much of a point in continuing this back to back comparison as all 4 shaves have been so perfect that I think continuing will not add anything else to the comparison..... So.... After today's shave with the Tech, I am going to get back to my straight razors which I have been ignoring much too long.

Take it for what it is worth. I call em as I see em.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks Turtle for an interesting thread. Thought provoking, discussion and opinion creating, and leads me towards many new tests of my own!

Ya gotta love this forum!!

Great post Turtle, I'm glad you put this link on the other thread. I don't have a heavy beard but I always thought I could get a nice close shave with all of my razors. I'm glad to hear it from someone who's been at it awhile.

There might be some truth to this as others have indicated elsewhere that the heavy Joris handles seem to tame the "agressive" (there's that word again) Fatip heads.

Thanks,
Mike

... Yesterday I shaved with the R41 (2011) ... I cannot compare the extra weight of the bull mastiff handle to the stock Muhle handle as the razor only came with the bull mastiff (I like heavy razors) so I don't know if the extra heft helped with the shave or not ...

In my ball tech, changing the blade totally changes the attitude of the razor. I tried a Feather in mine and got nicks in places I hadn't ever before. May just be my technique or skill level but it spooked me. Will try the Feather in a SS and see if that calms it down. I was really surprised at how it changed the razor though. It was like hearing your g'ma cuss for the first time. I am happy that in the modern world we now have choices to be able to tune our shave by interchanging different aspects like blades. Just imagine our grandparents or great grand parents that only bought what was available...or what they could afford. Then just had to make do with what they had.

Very interesting thread. I find the quality of shave can vary, and it maybe more to do with my prep/style/tiredness than the razor/blade I am using. However it is not really possible to do these tests scientifically but they sure are fun to try!

I tend to use the same razor/blade for 3 days before swapping over (unless the blade is a Derby!).

I'm one of those who just can't shave with a really aggressive razor. It's just too painful. The R41 is a razor I will probably never try.

As this thread started out, it is almost absurd to compare an aggressive razor to a mild razor based on the aggressiveness alone. Turtle more or less proved that one can get a BBS shave from either type of razor.

Ah! Great posts by many experienced shavers. I have my favorite blades which include Feather, Astra SP, Gillette blacks, Personna Reds, and Polsilver SI. Recently, I've been running Polsilver SI's through a rotation of razors including Hoffrits slant, 37c, 39c, Gillette New, 1949 Gilette SS, Tech, and EJ 89. There's enough difference in feel each day to have fun, but always get non irritating BBS. The other blades produce the same result. I've matched the other above blades and razors in many combinations but have never seen any significant difference. I stopped worrying about the aggressive/mild issue long ago.

Top Bottom