What's new

The $5 PVC shaving stand!

Well, I bought my kit, but then discovered I had omitted any sort of shaving stand. Rather than leave things flopping about the counter, at my wife's insistence I decided to acquire a shaving stand to keep blade and brush off the counter and also partially corral my burgeoning array of shaving junk.

Of course, I'm also a fantastically cheap bastard, so rather than spending $10-$100 on a nice chrome or pewter shaving stand, I went to my local home improvement emporium for the ultimate prototype building material: pvc.

This also has the added benefit of being immune to water spots (well, not immune to the spots, but immune to caring about them)--we have very hard water (after one shave my Merkur HD is already hazy and dull) and I'd hate to spend actual money on a shaving stand and have it get icky from hard water deposits.

So, without further ado, I present the ultimate in declasse shaving kit: the $5 PVC shaving stand. See my silly howto at Instructables (probably the only DIY guide containing the phrase "distraught pink-cheeked badger-pamperers"!)

Vic

proxy.php

That's funny, Vic. It reminds me of something one might see on the Red Green Show.

"If they can't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy":lol:

Cheers,
Indy

Bravo Vic! Well done and all that. That ingenious work gave me some ideas for a pan pipe-like razor display rack! Off to Home Depot!

Quite honestly, I think "shabby chic" is being too kind. It's just plain shabby!

But hey, it works, so I'm happy with it. I actually think it would qualify as "shabby chic" (and look kinda good, actually) if it was made in all copper and polished!

I should probably cut the front out of the Tee that holds the razor, though--as it is you have to lift it out by the head... which isn't so bad as long as you remember to hold it by the sides. Otherwise... yow.

I also didn't bother using solvent to really firmly attach things, so you can bend and twist it a bit, which doesn't bother me at all--hey, it would even fold flat for storage! :w00t:

Vic

You must have a very understanding wife as mine would evict me if I tried to put something like that on the counter. I had to fight just to get my brush to remain out in the open.

PottyDoctor said:
Every object must have a "style." I believe yours might be called...

:001_cool:
"ShabbyChic"​
:ohmy:

Maybe if you spray painted it silver, you know, to resemble chrome...

Randy

Dripp said:
You must have a very understanding wife as mine would evict me if I tried to put something like that on the counter. I had to fight just to get my brush to remain out in the open.

No doubt! I believe my wife to be extremely cool, but even she would not let this fly. One of the reasons that she has been so understanding with my wet shaving fetish is that it has caused me to really organize my toiletries, throw away unused items (that old, 95% used deodorant stick collection that every man has) and keep the bathroom cleaner. I'm afraid that a PVC rack would bring about the quick demise of her coolness.

In fact, she was looking over my shoulder and laughing at the comments.

Of course, she hasn't seen it in person yet... it's been lurking upstairs on the counter and getting ready to strike. Muhahaaaa! (actually, there may be a little discussion of where on the counter it goes, because if I leave it right next to her Box O' Bathroom Stuff, one leg extends over the sink, and that's not great).

Actually--and believe me, I am not making this up--her suggestion was plain pegboard with drop-in hooks. The PVC is almost a step UP. My wife rocks. It's true. When I pointed out the economic advantages of DE shaving over cartridge shaving, her response was basically "so why haven't you done this earlier?"

Maybe if you spray painted it silver, you know, to resemble chrome...

Hey, PVC is at least honest cheap. I'm not going to FAKE something better! But the copper version still sounds kinda fun. If only I had a torch handy...

guenron said:
Bravo Vic! Well done and all that. That ingenious work gave me some ideas for a pan pipe-like razor display rack! Off to Home Depot!

that is exactly what i was thinking. I just hope I can make something small enough to fit all my razors in. right now i have them hanging through the wires in my rack that goes over the toilet, which actually is pretty nice and space-saving.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think that setup looks cool. I would have loved to have such a rig back in college, or at least during my "single barbarian" phase, but I don't think it would fly today.

I spent a lot of time (way too much) over the years building home made aquarium filters, and just love playing with pvc and acrylic.

Here in Virginia at the State Fair, they have a competition for duct tape. Any household item you want to make, it just has to be ALL duct tape. So, with your PVC stand, I've got my inspiration for creating a brush and razor stand in ALL duct tape.

I kid you not, see the link here, page 2 section 44

Winners get 20 bucks so I'm thinking of cleaning up!

AACJ said:
Here in Virginia at the State Fair, they have a competition for duct tape. Any household item you want to make, it just has to be ALL duct tape. So, with your PVC stand, I've got my inspiration for creating a brush and razor stand in ALL duct tape.

I kid you not, see the link here, page 2 section 44

Winners get 20 bucks so I'm thinking of cleaning up!
Durn shame they do not have cash awards for Painting by Your Pet.

By the way, for those following this, my wife finally saw the PVC shaving stand last night. And when she did...

Well, the enormity of it is still pretty stunning; let me collect myself.

...when she did, she moved her Box O' Stuff to make room for it!

Woooot! :w00t:

(not that I expected anything else actually--she's phenomenally cool when it comes to me building things. I think it's the same reflex that makes parents think it's cool when their six-year-old brings home a lump of clay with a stick in it and says "I made this for you!" She lets me keep seven rackmounted computers in the water heater closet, puts up with my homebuild DVR, and is even proud of my Tea Remover on the kitchen counter).

Sounds like my wife when I come downstairs after shaving and before she even touches my face says, "WOW, what a great shave you got this morning!"

She really knows how to humor me.

vputz said:
By the way, for those following this, my wife finally saw the PVC shaving stand last night. And when she did...

Well, the enormity of it is still pretty stunning; let me collect myself.

...when she did, she moved her Box O' Stuff to make room for it!

Woooot! :w00t:

(not that I expected anything else actually--she's phenomenally cool when it comes to me building things. I think it's the same reflex that makes parents think it's cool when their six-year-old brings home a lump of clay with a stick in it and says "I made this for you!" She lets me keep seven rackmounted computers in the water heater closet, puts up with my homebuild DVR, and is even proud of my Tea Remover on the kitchen counter).

vputz said:
Quite honestly, I think "shabby chic" is being too kind. It's just plain shabby!

But hey, it works, so I'm happy with it. I actually think it would qualify as "shabby chic" (and look kinda good, actually) if it was made in all copper and polished!

I should probably cut the front out of the Tee that holds the razor, though--as it is you have to lift it out by the head... which isn't so bad as long as you remember to hold it by the sides. Otherwise... yow.

I also didn't bother using solvent to really firmly attach things, so you can bend and twist it a bit, which doesn't bother me at all--hey, it would even fold flat for storage! :w00t:

Vic

Did somebody say Copper??? :idea: Now you got me to thinking about this whole thing in copper. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, I work with the stuff practically everyday. I'll explore the idea a little farther for sure.

Polished up nice and bright...then coated with ClearCoat...that's what I'm talkin' about!!! :thumbup:

Nothing more powerful than good old redneck ingenuity! :biggrin:

Top Bottom