What's new

The 3 T's vs. the 3 C's

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The "3 T's" is perhaps the most overused cliche in all of shavedom. So after a brief hiatus (last week's vacation), I decided that I would make this week's shaves a battle of the T's versus the C's. From Monday until Saturday, I'll alternate similar scents from the competing consonants (say that three times fast) and see who reigns supreme. :a11:

I'm sure there are countless other possibilities, but I have on hand the following-
Trumper's sandalwood
C&E sandalwood
Taylor lavender
CF lavender
T&H rose
Coates rose

Despite the long established cache of the T's, this doesn't look at all like a mismatch.

Anyone else care to play along?

Ouch,

If only my store of creams was plentiful enough to play along. I can (and may) join you in brand (and spirit, I suppose), though not in scent, on C&E-day (Tuesday) and T&H-day (Friday), but it seems a rather feeble gesture. I do, however, look forward to your comments. More so, I look forward to the day when I have a sufficient number of creams to play such games of my own.

I think I'll be able to swing it* - but one day I am going to have to do a "c" Soap versus a T cream.

Mine will be as follows...

C&E Almond Cream
Trumper Almond Cream

CF Lavender Cream
Taylor Lavender Cream

C&E Sandalwood Soap
Taylor Sandalwood Cream

My god we're nerds :wink: :wink:

*If the remaining 3 "comparo" brushes show up before the C vs T war has been completed - I reserve the right to bail out and start the comparo.

ouch

After a long, arduous week of compariong the C's vs. the T's, the final results are in, and the mighty 3 T's have fallen to their less noteworthy breathren.

Of course, selecting different examples from each brand may have yielded completely different results.

For my next trick, I'll dedicate the week of shaves to the Battle of the proprietary blends; those unique products that have no direct competition. I'll try to squeeze in-

Trumper violet
Arran vetiver
Harris Arlington
Taylor avocado
Trumper coconut
Coates tea tree
AOS lemon

May the most ridiculous blend win!

ouch

Trumper sandlewood edged C&E
Castle Forbes lavender trounced the very fine Taylor
Coates rose handled T&H's version

Cool!

That Trumper coconut is awesome. Unfortunately, I don't much care for their other offerings.

Guess I better pick up some Coates....

Ouch,
I had slightly different results.... While I prefer the C&E Sandalwood soap to taylors sandalwood cream, and C&E Almond to Trumper Almond, I much prefer Taylor Lavender to Castle Forbes Lavender. Castle Forbes shaving cream has always been "so-so" in my mind.

Just as an FYI - AOS Lemon does kinda have a rival.... Salter Citrius (it smells basically identical - save for the Salter smelling more potent) and the Arran Vetiver has direct competition from Salter.... Salter Vetiver. Salter discontinued it for a spell - however it is back in production due to popular demand. :smile:

Joel, knowing of your penchant for Salter creams, in your opinion how does the lubrication of AOS compare to the Salter Citrus? I LOVE Salter's Citrus but find the lather a bit lacking. I don't care though, that lemon/grapefruit scent is super. BTW, I tried a sample of the AOS cream a couple of years ago. I don't remember the scent(it was not the lemon though) but I do know that it shaved extremely well. Better I thought than this Salter Citrus. Just thought I'd add that I'm not one of these pre-biased AOS haters.Thanks.

Regards, Todd

Phog Allen said:
Joel, knowing of your penchant for Salter creams, in your opinion how does the lubrication of AOS compare to the Salter Citrus? I LOVE Salter's Citrus but find the lather a bit lacking. I don't care though, that lemon/grapefruit scent is super. BTW, I tried a sample of the AOS cream a couple of years ago. I don't remember the scent(it was not the lemon though) but I do know that it shaved extremely well. Better I thought than this Salter Citrus. Just thought I'd add that I'm not one of these pre-biased AOS haters.Thanks.

Regards, Todd

Todd
Check out my review of the AOS Lemon for an in-depth discussion. The jist of it is - I very much enjoy AOS Lemon, and feel it is every bit as good as the "T's" With that said.... Salter is without question my favorite shaving cream. Could you have received a bad tub? Awhile back Adam Mendelson had received some Salter shaving cream he hated - to which I traded him some stuff for, and lo and behold - it was just awful stuff. Bought some new stuff and it was superb again. Maybe they had a bad run?

Salter has THE BEST Sandalwood & Rose shaving cream on the market... I am surprised they do not get more "forum chatter."

Joel,

Interesting that you say Salter has the best Rose. I've completely fallen in love with Taylor Rose, but I have yet to try any other Roses. Have you tried many Roses besides Salter? I may have to try it out.

ouch

joel said:
Ouch,
I had slightly different results.... While I prefer the C&E Sandalwood soap to taylors sandalwood cream, and C&E Almond to Trumper Almond, I much prefer Taylor Lavender to Castle Forbes Lavender. Castle Forbes shaving cream has always been "so-so" in my mind.

Just as an FYI - AOS Lemon does kinda have a rival.... Salter Citrius (it smells basically identical - save for the Salter smelling more potent) and the Arran Vetiver has direct competition from Salter.... Salter Vetiver. Salter discontinued it for a spell - however it is back in production due to popular demand. :smile:

Another cream I'll have to try. Cool!:001_smile

ouch

Scotto said:
Cool!

That Trumper coconut is awesome. Unfortunately, I don't much care for their other offerings.

Guess I better pick up some Coates....

I agree regarding the Trumper's coconut. The rest of their portfolio leaves me underwhelmed. Even their legendary violet is mediocre, at best. Coates makes decent creams, but they're pretty hard to find. Hopefully they will ramp up production soon.

joel said:
Ouch,

Joel,

When did Salter begin selling Vetiver again? Do you know where you can purchase some?

Thanks,

Kevin

Salter Vetiver was, hands down, the foulest smelling cream that I have ever used. I would be surprised if Salter has made it available again.

Top Bottom