What's new

The 3 Pass Shave Is Bad Advice?

I am on the two pass, WTG for the first and Across? The Grain (sideways) on face and WTG for neck. Anything else I used to break out as well.

I to am a night shaver and agree with this, do what you like. I don't chase no BBS anymore, a good DFS/DFS+ I am happy, sometimes a BBS just depends on my how I feel, how long I have gone inbetween shaves as I want to go back and shave more frequently, every 2-3 days, which means I need less passes to shave well. Shaving well also means, and its pretty much my 1st priority now vs chasing the BBS is to have a shave with no cuts, weepers, irritation or ingrown hairs and feel good afterwards.

Depends a lot on the results you want and the face and the equipment you’ve got.
If I want a smooth as possible result then I need a seriously sharp straight razor, a great lather and four passes.
My beard grows tough in at least four directions and this is what works for me.
I could definitely leave the house after one pass, or two but the shave feels pretty rubbish.

Click Bait! ;)

Really though. I tried out DE's about 10 years ago (I posted about it a while back on here) and had zero luck. For a little over a year I got nothing but bad shaves, razor burn, and ingrown hairs...all which, I NEVER got with a cartridge. Now that I'm trying again I'm realizing things that would have helped me tremendously back then.

The main factor in my opinion is your beard type and how often you shave. If you have very thick and coarse facial hair AND you have to/want to shave every day, I highly suggest trying out a mild razor and NOT doing 3 passes...AKA shaving your face three freaking times. I did 1 pass this morning. WTG on my cheeks and jaw/chin (mustache March is coming up and I'm getting a head start, even though I don't need one.) and ATG on my neck. WTG on my neck just doesn't get everything. That's it! One pass! Done! Great shave! I look back to when I first tried DE 10 years ago and have to laugh. 3 full passes every single day, with a medium-aggressive razor? WHY!? Completely unnecessary. YMMV is so true. It may vary even from advice that seems like it's the gold standard. Again...if you're a daily shaver you MAY not need three passes to get a great shave, even if you're like me and have ridiculously thick and coarse facial hair.

Another thought: This whole thing about "beard reduction" makes sense...if you literally have a BEARD. I totally understand needing a 3 pass shave then. I will probably do more than one pass when I take leave and actually have a beard. Some people don't need to perform a 3 pass "beard reduction" shave when you literally just shaved yesterday...even guys like me with lumberjack facial hair. It makes me laugh now..."it's all about beard reduction." Ha! My "beard" from yesterday's shave!? Yes, I'm literally OCD and have had too much caffeine.
You really need to know your face and stop comparing yourself to others. Some people can shave every day with an aggressive razor using a Feather blade and have no issues. I shave every second day to give my sensitive skin a rest. If you have sensitive skin, it is fine to do a 3 pass shave above the jawline. Where many people get into trouble when they try to go "across the grain" (XTG) on the neck. I only do 2 passes on my neck: WTG and ATG. I do a light touch-up on my neck if necessary. This has worked for many others who have sensitive skin.

I'm a two pass shaver, always have been. At least since I started DE shaving. I was a 2 blade cartridge user before then. Tried 3x a couple of times. Can't do it. Occasionally, I will do single pass just ro give my face a break. I do shave daily. I haven't missed a shave since July 2020.

Everyone is different and will have different needs/wants. You do you. Not what anyone else says to do.

You can't take what anyone says too seriously. I've found 2 are almost always sufficient for me with the grain and against. But different strokes and all that.

Do what works for you

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I'm usually happy with a two pass shave. The first pass is a mix of with and across the grain; the second is across and in places against the grain.

A third pass sometimes leads to irritation, and more importantly it wastes soap. At $15 the box for 12 Arko sticks, eliminating that third pass saves me 88 cents' worth of soap every eleven years.

I'm usually happy with a two pass shave. The first pass is a mix of with and across the grain; the second is across and in places against the grain.

A third pass sometimes leads to irritation, and more importantly it wastes soap. At $15 the box for 12 Arko sticks, eliminating that third pass saves me 88 cents' worth of soap every eleven years.
Wow! That’s 8 cents a year.
Frugality thy name is Owen

I shave daily with a 1 pass blade buff. Around 16:00 I could easily shave again, and in the Summer months often have a refreshing cold water shave in the evening. The rest of the year round I make do with the daily 1 pass and there is always plenty for me to go at the following morning. This was the way my Grandad shaved in the 1960’s and using his method I never get irritation, just a good socially acceptable shave.

I shave daily with a 1 pass blade buff. Around 16:00 I could easily shave again, and in the Summer months often have a refreshing cold water shave in the evening. The rest of the year round I make do with the daily 1 pass and there is always plenty for me to go at the following morning. This was the way my Grandad shaved in the 1960’s and using his method I never get irritation, just a good socially acceptable shave.
Those Grandpa’s seemed to know best!😊👍💈

Click Bait! ;)

Really though. I tried out DE's about 10 years ago (I posted about it a while back on here) and had zero luck. For a little over a year I got nothing but bad shaves, razor burn, and ingrown hairs...all which, I NEVER got with a cartridge. Now that I'm trying again I'm realizing things that would have helped me tremendously back then.

The main factor in my opinion is your beard type and how often you shave. If you have very thick and coarse facial hair AND you have to/want to shave every day, I highly suggest trying out a mild razor and NOT doing 3 passes...AKA shaving your face three freaking times. I did 1 pass this morning. WTG on my cheeks and jaw/chin (mustache March is coming up and I'm getting a head start, even though I don't need one.) and ATG on my neck. WTG on my neck just doesn't get everything. That's it! One pass! Done! Great shave! I look back to when I first tried DE 10 years ago and have to laugh. 3 full passes every single day, with a medium-aggressive razor? WHY!? Completely unnecessary. YMMV is so true. It may vary even from advice that seems like it's the gold standard. Again...if you're a daily shaver you MAY not need three passes to get a great shave, even if you're like me and have ridiculously thick and coarse facial hair.

Another thought: This whole thing about "beard reduction" makes sense...if you literally have a BEARD. I totally understand needing a 3 pass shave then. I will probably do more than one pass when I take leave and actually have a beard. Some people don't need to perform a 3 pass "beard reduction" shave when you literally just shaved yesterday...even guys like me with lumberjack facial hair. It makes me laugh now..."it's all about beard reduction." Ha! My "beard" from yesterday's shave!? Yes, I'm literally OCD and have had too much caffeine.
We have a whole thread on the history of the three pass shave. Link below. Historically most shavers performed a one or two pass shave. Three passes is a relatively recent phenomena. Bottom line is that each of us needs to do what works best for our own beard characteristics and preferences. 2+ passes works best for me.

I do one with the grain and usually one against, but just on cheeks, jawline and upper lip. My skin’s way too sensitive for a third pass, even if they were all WTG. I did it once and my face was sore as hell.

Top Bottom