What's new

INFO! The 2022 Gold Dollar Mod Competition

First of all that is beautiful work! I especially love the blue scales.

I am sorry for the confusion and I guess I didn't make it clear in the initial post. To make a razor to enter in the Gold Dollar Mod Competition you must start on May 1 or later and finish by July 1. Of course if you started and finished your razor in the last two weeks you are in. Otherwise you have to start a new one. I hope this helps.
That makes sense—thank you for your reply.

It’s funny because I joined B&B originally because I was looking for GD modification information and was really interested in this contest. It was cancelled due to supply chain and covid issues and I kind of forgot about it. Recently decided to finally buy a GD and give it a shot and then remembered B&B. Wouldn’t you know it, the contest is back on.

Even more ironic, according to the photos I took on my phone, I started the razor on May 5th and finished on the 11th. Only by fluke it’s within your window for entries since I had forgotten about B&B. I don’t think it took me that long to finish because realistically I didn’t do much to the blade itself. Mostly wanted to see if I could make a nice set of scales and hone / sharpen the blade properly to get a nice shave. I just had my second shave with it tonight and am happy with the results.

I would like to try modifying another though. Could anyone tell me which vendor they use to get their blades? I feel like the $25 I paid for mine was steep for a Gold Dollar.

Next bit of research
IMG_20220516_213538.jpg

That makes sense—thank you for your reply.

It’s funny because I joined B&B originally because I was looking for GD modification information and was really interested in this contest. It was cancelled due to supply chain and covid issues and I kind of forgot about it. Recently decided to finally buy a GD and give it a shot and then remembered B&B. Wouldn’t you know it, the contest is back on.

Even more ironic, according to the photos I took on my phone, I started the razor on May 5th and finished on the 11th. Only by fluke it’s within your window for entries since I had forgotten about B&B. I don’t think it took me that long to finish because realistically I didn’t do much to the blade itself. Mostly wanted to see if I could make a nice set of scales and hone / sharpen the blade properly to get a nice shave. I just had my second shave with it tonight and am happy with the results.

I would like to try modifying another though. Could anyone tell me which vendor they use to get their blades? I feel like the $25 I paid for mine was steep for a Gold Dollar.
My bad again for thinking that you couldn't have done your Gold Dollar mod that quickly! That is very impressive that you completed that work in less than a week. Certainly that qualifies!

Of course working with the blade is another step. Sorry I don't know where to find some GDs to modify. Back in April I saw one on Ebay that wasn't listed as a 66 but looking at the pictures it certainly was one. I think there were some on Aliexpress but of course shipping takes time. Good luck and I hope you find some raw material!

Well Folks I wont be joining this year due to health issues, as I failed my hgv test on the tread mill they found out I have more heart issues going on and told I must rest until I see a cardio.

So I'm sad to say no gold dollars from me this year as I was looking forward to this.

But I am looking forwards to what you all come up with this year so I will be following this post to see those stunners.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So am I Mike and Thanks, but I dont see me getting my hgv back I would say that's gone for good but fingers crossed.

It all depends on the docs and the test results. When I had my heart attack I couldnt drive for 6 months. If I was licensed for air brakes, it would have been a year and the testing is more stringent but... good thoughts!

Well Folks I wont be joining this year due to health issues, as I failed my hgv test on the tread mill they found out I have more heart issues going on and told I must rest until I see a cardio.

So I'm sad to say no gold dollars from me this year as I was looking forward to this.

But I am looking forwards to what you all come up with this year so I will be following this post to see those stunners.
I'm sorry that you won't be joining us this year, especially because of health issues. Take care of yourself and do what the doc says. Hopefully when next year rolls around you'll be able to join us. In the meantime relax and enjoy the show.

Sorry to hear that, Ian - I've been regarding your previous work as a reference of what things should look like.

My best wishes.

Here we go. Working title “Brass Farthing”.

brass farthing.jpg

I can tell it’s going to be heavy - on reflection I might have gone for 1.5mm brass plate instead of 2mm, but we’ll see how it plays out and how it handles. I know the reasons not to do it, but I thought the question “what kind of lunatic would try to make heavy metal scales?” deserved an answer.

I’ll take the end of the spine back a little bit further, but am planning to leave the curves on the heel and toe so it’s a bit French and a bit Canadian (is there such a thing as a Quebecquois point?). If the nub-end of the stabiliser doesn’t mess up the fit of the scales or make honing too tricky it can stay. I might go in for a small barber’s notch - depends how it looks and whether I think that would be “in character” when it’s in the scales.

Ahead slow.

Here we go. Working title “Brass Farthing”.

View attachment 1459522

I can tell it’s going to be heavy - on reflection I might have gone for 1.5mm brass plate instead of 2mm, but we’ll see how it plays out and how it handles. I know the reasons not to do it, but I thought the question “what kind of lunatic would try to make heavy metal scales?” deserved an answer.

I’ll take the end of the spine back a little bit further, but am planning to leave the curves on the heel and toe so it’s a bit French and a bit Canadian (is there such a thing as a Quebecquois point?). If the nub-end of the stabiliser doesn’t mess up the fit of the scales or make honing too tricky it can stay. I might go in for a small barber’s notch - depends how it looks and whether I think that would be “in character” when it’s in the scales.

Ahead slow.
Looks like some serious scales there plus all those blade mods!

I was going to start another mod with a different Gold Dollar (W62) and noticed something at the toe. Is this a crack formed from heat treating? It runs from the toe, down the spine, and almost to the pivot pin. It appears solid, but I am not sure what to make of it. Should I return/exchange this blade? It was $25 from Fendrihan.ca and it looks like they take returns. Wondering if this will affect the razor at all or if it’s just cosmetic. Can I sand it out? Thanks in advance for your input.

Attachments

• FC19F8EC-D3DF-4078-A169-DA30DBA03CD3.jpeg
    FC19F8EC-D3DF-4078-A169-DA30DBA03CD3.jpeg
    726.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 4FFDF413-F577-402B-8648-3B22C80E8D57.jpeg
    4FFDF413-F577-402B-8648-3B22C80E8D57.jpeg
    722.8 KB · Views: 35
  • E8626BDC-B3CB-4299-B1B1-002123F4FE59.jpeg
    E8626BDC-B3CB-4299-B1B1-002123F4FE59.jpeg
    786.2 KB · Views: 34
I was going to start another mod with a different Gold Dollar (W62) and noticed something at the toe. Is this a crack formed from heat treating? It runs from the toe, down the spine, and almost to the pivot pin. It appears solid, but I am not sure what to make of it. Should I return/exchange this blade? It was $25 from Fendrihan.ca and it looks like they take returns. Wondering if this will affect the razor at all or if it’s just cosmetic. Can I sand it out? Thanks in advance for your input.
Eee. I don't like the look of it. If it was just along the spine I might be less concerned, but since it's visible on two perpendicular surfaces that suggests there's some depth to it.

Hope someone else will be along with an explanation or a fix.

It looks like something that happened in the forging process, but like @Kaldane said I hope someone with more knowledge can give us some insight.

Top Bottom