What's new

INFO! The 2022 Gold Dollar Mod Competition

Was planning on a rustic look with deer antler scales, but I couldn't get 2 scales out of the piece of antler I had and couldn't get a matching piece in time, so I changed direction and went with a classic style in ivory acrylic.

20220704_125934.jpg

Starting to file in the bevels.

20220704_125943.jpg

Mostly rounded to my liking with a file.

20220704_141926.jpg

Sanded through the grits and polished.

20220704_143809.jpg

Mock up.

20220704_155004.jpg

Wedge going in.

For pics of the finished item, look in the competition entry thread...

This has been a load of fun, pushed my skill boundaries, and I'm well hooked now.

Was planning on a rustic look with deer antler scales, but I couldn't get 2 scales out of the piece of antler I had and couldn't get a matching piece in time, so I changed direction and went with a classic style in ivory acrylic.

View attachment 1482621
Starting to file in the bevels.

View attachment 1482622
Mostly rounded to my liking with a file.

View attachment 1482623
Sanded through the grits and polished.

View attachment 1482624
Mock up.

View attachment 1482625
Wedge going in.

For pics of the finished item, look in the competition entry thread...

This has been a load of fun, pushed my skill boundaries, and I'm well hooked now.
What a great come back from disaster!

I was going to wait until Friday to post the official poll. By my rough calculation all those who have posted about their progress have put their finished work in the entry thread. Does anyone have pictures they haven't posted yet? If not I'll start the poll a little early.

Was planning on a rustic look with deer antler scales, but I couldn't get 2 scales out of the piece of antler I had and couldn't get a matching piece in time, so I changed direction and went with a classic style in ivory acrylic.”

A good source for antler quick, is a pet store. Antler is sold as dog chew. You do need to search for a 6-inch piece as most are cut to 5 inch.

We have a Home Outlet store nearby that often sells Antler chew for $5-10.

Antler is very hard, you will need a bandsaw to cut them, but they shape well with a belt sander. They also polish up nicely and can be different color, from pink to green, depending on what the animal was eating prior to sheading. So, try to get both scales from the same piece.

Nice work.

Was planning on a rustic look with deer antler scales, but I couldn't get 2 scales out of the piece of antler I had and couldn't get a matching piece in time, so I changed direction and went with a classic style in ivory acrylic.”

A good source for antler quick, is a pet store. Antler is sold as dog chew. You do need to search for a 6-inch piece as most are cut to 5 inch.

We have a Home Outlet store nearby that often sells Antler chew for $5-10.

Antler is very hard, you will need a bandsaw to cut them, but they shape well with a belt sander. They also polish up nicely and can be different color, from pink to green, depending on what the animal was eating prior to sheading. So, try to get both scales from the same piece.

Nice work.
I actually got that piece from a pet store to begin with.
There weren't any other pieces that matched well though.
And they charge $27 for a "large" which is 6-7 inches...

I miss having access to a friend with a deer farm...used to have almost unlimited antler for using on bow limb tip overlays.
It takes a beautiful notch for the bowstring.

I don't have a bandsaw any more...my ex kept it when we split.
Likewise the belt sander.
I've got a coping saw and files...which are slow going on antler.

Hopefully I'll have a bandsaw and a belt grinder in the next year or so...hand filing knife blades is getting old fast too!

Top Bottom