What's new

INFO! The 2021 Gold Dollar Modification Competition

May 1 marks the start of another season of our long running Gold Dollar modification competition. Each year experienced and novice modders take a very basic Gold Dollar razor and turn it into a razor that will wow shavers everywhere. Gold Dollars can be purchased very cheaply, usually on EBay. They have very basic plastic scales and a blade that is not quite shave ready. Usually the geometry is poor and they haven’t been honed properly. The steel is good so all of that can be fixed.

Folks create all sorts of designs from this raw material. They create new scales, thin the spine and generally make significant modifications to the shape of the blade. If you look at this compendium you can see the beautiful work they have done.

The rules are simple. Start with a Gold Dollar 66 razor and turn it into any kind of straight razor you want, as long as its shave ready. This has to be new work, starting no earlier than today. You have two months to finalize your beauty. On July 1 we’ll open an entry thread where you will post pictures of your finished razor. After five days we’ll close the entry thread and open a poll where the entire populace of B&B gets to vote on the entries. Last year, because of supply chain problems, we extended the deadline until August 1. I hope it won’t be necessary this year, but let us know if these razors are hard to obtain.

For now let us know who’s in and whether you have ever modded a Gold Dollar before. In the past we’ve had novice and pro classes. Lately its all been one class as we have mostly first-time modders. Please respond to this thread and let us know if you are in or are even thinking of joining the fun. Looking forward to your work!

Anybody else want to try a Gold Dollar mod? It's a great challenge for a new modder. Some of our best creations have come from first timers!

I will give it a go if I have a Gold Dollar still. I will look tonight. If so I need to be in the What the Heck am I doing class.
I'm curious... Not that experienced with straights but the crafty side of things (scales etc) I can definitely get into.

Quick scan on eBay I can get one in the UK for not too much so okay, I think I'm in.
Glad to have you two along! This should be a fun year!

Just got a batch of GD 66's, so if I can find the time I will try and make an entry - not my first time modding a GD, so if there is more than one "class" I would have to participate in the experienced one :001_smile

Just got a batch of GD 66's, so if I can find the time I will try and make an entry - not my first time modding a GD, so if there is more than one "class" I would have to participate in the experienced one :001_smile
Great! Glad to have you aboard.

I'm in for the not-novice class. Waiting for delivery, unless we cab use GD not 66.

-Mel
Welcome! The GD66 has been the standard raw material for this competition for a long time. I don’t know if we have strayed from this before and I’m not enough of an expert on GDs to know the difference. What does everyone think? Are other Gold Dollars acceptable?

The GD66 has been the go-to razor because it is the cheapest, but other cheap Chinese razors or higher no. of GD's has been accepted, if I recall correctly (I have known to be wrong before :wink:) - I have never looked into it, but I think a Gentleman once mentioned that the higher the number on a GD the more finished it was.

It has been some years since I have participated in this, but the start of it all was to take something cheap and change the look of it (not just changing the scales)
I don't mind if other GD's are used, it is after all, all about the fun - but this is just my humble opinion :001_smile

Is this still open for expression of interest? It'll be my first attempt, so I'm not sure it'll go anywhere useful, but if you're still taking names I'll see where a month gets us.

Is this still open for expression of interest? It'll be my first attempt, so I'm not sure it'll go anywhere useful, but if you're still taking names I'll see where a month gets us.
Entry is absolutely still open! Anyone who would like to play along is welcome at any time before the deadline of July 1. We're looking forward to seeing what you come up with. This thread is the place to show your progress.

If I remember right it cannot have a thumb notch, that's why they use the 66 as its a plain blank canvas and cheap to boot...

Top Bottom