What's new

The 2014 Badger & Blade Awards

Is there a listing somewhere with all of the nominated products that did not win?
At present, no, but that request has come up more than once, so we'll certainly keep it in mind for next year.

Frankly, the amount of review data collected just to present the winning entries is overwhelming, and even the discussion to decide release schedule to ensure we weren't overwhelming everyone, and drowning out the recognition for the winners took several days to agree on the 'four up, then two a day' format. Additionally providing testing methodologies, as well as runner-ups would've been unwieldy (at least for an inaugural release).

Thanks Steve! Keep the comments rolling everyone!

-Nick

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Anyone else feel the urge to own every winning item for 2014?

well I can scratch these 3 off the list:

Czech & Speake No. 88 Shaving Soap
Cyril R Salter Wild Rose Luxury Shaving Cream
The Gentlemens Refinery Unscented After Shave Balm

Call it a Christmas present to myself.

I like the Saville Row brush. C&S soap will be in my future.
I have a nice strop. I'd like a TM one day, but the website turned me off.

The rest are above my pay grade.

Maybe I just missed something, but were the winners decided by sheer number of reviews? Was there a poll or something?

Out of curiosity, were the items that won given to the judges from vendors to try and then review, or were they actual selections from dozens of products the judging team owned/ purchased? The reviews sound more like advertising copy than critical assessments. I just think it would be nice to have an overview of the process if it's going to be put forth as 'Best of 2014' on the boards.

Out of curiosity, were the items that won given to the judges from vendors to try and then review, or were they actual selections from dozens of products the judging team owned/ purchased? The reviews sound more like advertising copy than critical assessments. I just think it would be nice to have an overview of the process if it's going to be put forth as 'Best of 2014' on the boards.

I'm glad you had the courage to bring this up. I was thinking along the same lines from the first day the "Awards" were rolled out.

In a forum where YMMV is a virtual mantra, it is disconcerting to encounter this thread. I am more than a little surprised to find that B&B would have the audacity to define what products are THE BEST and even more concerned that so many members seem to have bought into the notion that some authority should judge for them what is best.

It is one thing to recommend a product, based on objective attributes (materials, construction, etc) and quite another to declare it to be THE BEST. I believe that our members are very able to decide for themselves what is best.

I have to say that I found these awards to be very entertaining. Each piece has its justification outlined and while I admit that I am not partial to some of the choices, I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

Well done gentlemen and I look forward to an annual award season with categories that cover all aspects of B&B

I'm glad you had the courage to bring this up. I was thinking along the same lines from the first day the "Awards" were rolled out.

In a forum where YMMV is a virtual mantra, it is disconcerting to encounter this thread. I am more than a little surprised to find that B&B would have the audacity to define what products are THE BEST and even more concerned that so many members seem to have bought into the notion that some authority should judge for them what is best.

It is one thing to recommend a product, based on objective attributes (materials, construction, etc) and quite another to declare it to be THE BEST. I believe that our members are very able to decide for themselves what is best.

What he said. I'd like to see what the members deem best in all these categories and think they would differ greatly.

Top Bottom