What's new

The 2011-2012 NHL Hockey Thread

I still miss ESPN's coverage. Their on air talent was superior to VS, IMO, but ESPN bailed on the NHL when the NHL needed them. Adding insult to injury, they bailed in favor of Bull Riding and Poker. Part of holding the rights to broadcast for the league involves putting forth a good faith effort to sell the sport. ESPN really didn't do that. I understand the market dictates coverage, but every sport has popularity cycles. The network has to do its part to perpetuate the cycles of high popularity. So I'm glad ESPN missed out on the contract. They got what they deserve.

NBC/NHL is a good pairing. The NHL needs a network who needs them. VS has been improving their coverage every year. I'm still not in love with the personalities, but the actual in-game product is quite palatable now. I think Mike Emrick does a nice job.

NHL is a good pairing. The NHL needs a network who needs them. VS has been improving their coverage every year. I'm still not in love with the personalities, but the actual in-game product is quite palatable now. I think Mike Emrick does a nice job.

I like hockey on NBC. Although Mike Millberry annoys the hell out of me. As does Darren Pang, but hes not around all that often. I used to hate Pierre McGwire, but Im ok with him now...all NBC needs is Don Cherry...also, I kinda miss the days of Hockey on Fox...with the blue puck tracker...

I was trying to tighten up the cable bill today and as I was speaking to the rep, she ran through packages that I could add/cut to keep my bill about the same. Seems my two year price protection deal is expiring. Long story short, I ended up getting rid of a couple of channels and picking up the NHL Network. It's not in HD here yet, which stinks, but she promises it won't be long before they roll it over to their HD line up.

Anyone have NHL Network?

I'm kind of looking forward to it. I wasn't sure if they showed actual games or if it was only hockey news/classic games/live updates. But I guess they do broadcast games. Tomorrow they're running the Caps/Wings game, which is SWEET! Not sure I'll be able to watch it, but I feel better knowing it's available.

Boy, the Wings/Caps game (my bias taken out) was lousy and awful to watch. I had the NHL network for a while, I quite liked it. Quick with another shutout...........

VS definitely makes more of an effort than ESPN, which has resorted to promoting high school football games and the aforementioned poker/bull riding championships. VS needs to work on its intermission commentary. I get tired of watching Jeremy Roehnick and Keith Jones try and talk over one another. I liked the VS piece about the Bruins.

ESPN, as a monolith, has defined the sports marketplace for the most part. I'm always baffled by Top Plays. Since when did a 6'8" guy on a clean break who dunked on an unguarded basketball hoop constitute a top play? He should be able to do that. It would be like Ovechkin taking a slapper on an empty net from the top of the crease. Why isn't that a top play, ESPN?

I'll be really intersted to see whether ESPN adds more hockey reporting if the NBA doesn't play. My guess is that they won't report on hockey more than they would if there was an actual NBA season. ESPN will just substitute segements on NBA Labor Talks and whatever an NBA idiot tweets for basketball highlights.

Boy, the Wings/Caps game (my bias taken out) was lousy and awful to watch. I had the NHL network for a while, I quite liked it. Quick with another shutout...........

When I saw the score I was glad I missed the game. LOL. Too bad Howard didn't get the start. He's been playing well. Might have made the game better a little closer.

And Quick! I'm a big fan of Quick (he backstopped @ at my Alma Mater). All the talk of Bernier overtaking the #1 this season has been ludicrous, IMO, especially considering the effort and results Quick gave last season.

VS definitely makes more of an effort than ESPN, which has resorted to promoting high school football games and the aforementioned poker/bull riding championships. VS needs to work on its intermission commentary. I get tired of watching Jeremy Roehnick and Keith Jones try and talk over one another. I liked the VS piece about the Bruins.

ESPN, as a monolith, has defined the sports marketplace for the most part. I'm always baffled by Top Plays. Since when did a 6'8" guy on a clean break who dunked on an unguarded basketball hoop constitute a top play? He should be able to do that. It would be like Ovechkin taking a slapper on an empty net from the top of the crease. Why isn't that a top play, ESPN?

I'll be really intersted to see whether ESPN adds more hockey reporting if the NBA doesn't play. My guess is that they won't report on hockey more than they would if there was an actual NBA season. ESPN will just substitute segements on NBA Labor Talks and whatever an NBA idiot tweets for basketball highlights.

+10000

And I also doubt we'll see much more/if any coverage on ESPN. Especially since they're feeling burned by the NHL for not getting the broadcast rights.

The most frightening thing Ive ever seen was when Pronger got hit in the eye with a stick blade last night. He doubled over, and was screaming in pain...the rink mics picked it up...truly scary...because of the pace and toughness of the sport, you forget that they are just regular fellas out there...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=597339

Wow. From a fan standpoint only, I hate that guy as he is kryptonite to the Wings. As a hockey fan in general, he is great and I hope he is alright. That looked awful.

The most frightening thing Ive ever seen was when Pronger got hit in the eye with a stick blade last night. He doubled over, and was screaming in pain...the rink mics picked it up...truly scary...because of the pace and toughness of the sport, you forget that they are just regular fellas out there...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=597339

Yeah, that was terrible. I was squirming in my seat. Pronger's about as hard as they come, too, and he was clearly in pain and scared that he'd lost his eye.

When I saw the score I was glad I missed the game. LOL. Too bad Howard didn't get the start. He's been playing well. Might have made the game better a little closer.

Well, to be fair Jimmy's wife did give birth to their first kid the following day. So there was a darn good reason not to start Howard.

Well, to be fair Jimmy's wife did give birth to their first kid the following day. So there was a darn good reason not to start Howard.

Is he a hockey player or a Nanny?

No...of course I'm kidding. I hadn't realized his wife was giving birth until I read about it yesterday. I thought he was getting a maintenance day for some strange reason.

HABS/BRUINS tonight! Love it!! Nice to see Montreal have a nice game yesterday.

Bah, I can't believe I just typed that. It's only because I have Price and Subban on my fantasy hockey squad.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
HABS/BRUINS tonight! Love it!! Nice to see Montreal have a nice game yesterday.

Bah, I can't believe I just typed that. It's only because I have Price and Subban on my fantasy hockey squad.

If Plekanec had scored twice against Thomas, would anyone have thrown a hat on the ice? :ohmy:

If Plekanec had scored twice against Thomas, would anyone have thrown a hat on the ice? :ohmy:

:001_smile He almost scored a second goal on Price toward the end.

It was a good game. The Bs were pretty flat in the third period, though. I give props to Price for standing tall throughout.

I thought is was a little crazy for Marchand to keep trying to go with Subban. He gives up a good six inches and probably 30 pounds to PK. I was afraid for Marchand, but he did OK. Reminded me a little bit of Pat Verbeek.

The two man forecheck was pretty effective, I thought. It gave the Bruins fits getting it out of their own zone several times.

Got a rematch tomorrow!

On a slightly different topic, has anyone seen how much a hockey stick costs these days? I've been away from competitive play for about 5 years now, but I'm trying to get out and play once a week just to get a really vigorous workout. I remember one-piece composites being about $130 five years ago. Now they cost upwards of $200. I was stunned. Is the stick really more than $70 better or do they just have to keep increasing the price so people thinking that the new stick represents an improvement over previous years' sticks?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Red Lights and Sirens Are Wailing!!!!!
proxy.php

"[So far], The roar in the hockey community about discipline for illegal hits to the head and boarding seems to have subsided — for the moment, at least. So what’s the game’s latest trending topic? How about the lack of great goaltending in some cities"?

Want to know more?
proxy.php

Funky goaltending abounds in the NHL

Bryzgalov's no laughing matter.

Alex Edler scores twice, Canucks beat Capitals 7-4.

Flyers rally, but fall to Jets, 9-8

proxy.php
"To Guard and Protect…for only God saves more than Goaltenders". Christopher

Last edited:
Top Bottom