What's new

The 2 Year Rule

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, so my apologies if I'm creating the 500th thread on this topic. However, most so-called "experts" seem to tell you that a good EDT has about a 2 year lifespan. Is this true? I keep mine in the house, in a dark cabinet at room temperature, and out of sunlight. Can I expect longer than 2 years from my fragrances?

You could trust "experts" who want your money to replace the 'old' bottle in your wardrobe or who want to make you fear buying 'old' bottles from cheaper sources. Or, you could trust enthusiasts who spend lots of their own money chasing vintage bottles because they prefer the old juice to the new.

I also keep my frags in a dark cabinet at room temp, and some must be at least 10 years old, and have had no problems with aging.

This question comes up all the time.

I keep my frags pretty much the same way Randy does and I have not had any real problems. I have some Gucci Rush that is at the bottom of a nearly empty bottle that I have had for probably a decade and 1/2 that seems weak, and I suspect some things I have that are really old have evolved a bit. But two years is not based upon any typical experience as far as I know.

It does cut against the search for vintage scents, which does not make sense. I am not saying that I have not had scents that had turned. I had some what must have been ancient Pen's BB in a one ounce glass stopper bottle no one I have ever talked to has ever seen before. The partial contents had turned a dark brown that seemed kind of thick. They were actually still quite wearable, although not much citrus to it.

In fact, I would be curious to see a reference to a two year shelf life. Sounds intentionally phony, frankly.

I have a 1944 EdC of Nuit de Longchamps by Lubin that smells pristine. Granted, NdL is an aldehydic oriental so maybe that's not fair but it is at least an EdC. On the other hand, I have a 40 year old bottle of Creed Olivier (both EdC and EdT) and they both smell really good, too. This is a citrus based perfume so I think it holds up. If not, my 20 year old bottle of Eau Sauvage should surely put this argument to rest. If not, I'll gladly provide you with more examples.

Simply put, there are no hard and fast rules.

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, so my apologies if I'm creating the 500th thread on this topic. However, most so-called "experts" seem to tell you that a good EDT has about a 2 year lifespan. Is this true? I keep mine in the house, in a dark cabinet at room temperature, and out of sunlight. Can I expect longer than 2 years from my fragrances?

I just bought a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver EdC from 1967. It still smells better than the current stuff they shipped yesterday.

Excellent choice! and my favorite of all the Guerlain Vetivers!

Here it is. . .

$Guerlain Vetiver EdC (Vintage).JPG

Sure. When they get that old, send them to me. In 25 years and up, I'll still be using them.

Seriously, though. That's crap. There's no expiration date on them. They may smell a little...very little different than when you first got them. And, not all do smell different. Some smell the same. I'm talking 30 years or more old fragrances. Then again, wine tastes different the longer it sits.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I have all my colognes on my shelf, away from sunlight with no ill effect. Most of them are 5+ years old.

I agree with the fine wine comparisons. If you take care of them, they will become great vintage items that will keep on evolving for you. If you neglect them, they turn into vinegar.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I keep my scents out in the light and not in a cool dark place, and I swear my vintage OS just keeps getting better.

I store all my essential oils, incense and colognes in a wine refrigerator, in the dark and in cool temps so this rule doesn't apply for these conditions. However, in high temps, you may get the alcohol and/or essential oils evaporate if the bottle isn't sealed well enough so the scent signature changes in time.

I still have a bottle of Givenchy's "Gentleman" that I recieved on my 21st birthday. I just turned 56 last week. It still smells fine and it is 35 years old!

Regards,
David

At a museum exhibit for the Titanic, there were decants of perfumes that were recovered from the wreckage. They were open and you could still smell the perfume and these were ~100 years old. They smelled perfectly fine.

From a chemistry perspective, I'm sure that there may be slight changes but I doubt you'd notice. If the container is well sealed, any evaporation that occurs will reach an equilibrium with whats in the head space of the container and whats in solution.

Top Bottom