What's new

The 1930 Gillette New Foldabrush Shave Kit

A78BEA8E-25A5-401C-AA4A-5EA220BFAE55.jpeg

This set was originally posted in the acquisition thread. However superb additional information was provided by @luvmysuper about this set, so we decided to start a separate thread - in order for future lurkers to be able to locate this valuable information.

The 1930 Gillette New Foldabrush Shave Kit was delivered with a Gillette New razor, but actually the most fascinating thing about it is the case and paraphernalia design. It was built as the ultimate travel kit with several true engineering feats to enable everything fitting into the smallest of containers: A patented foldable brush cleverly hinged to make it a full size brush in use. A small reloadable shave cream container where the razor handle served as the “plunger” to take cream out. And all carried in a very clever case design with a hinged separator plate also holding the razor head and a few blades.

The gorgeous art deco case was delivered in a cardboard shipper and was offered in four different color designs: All-gold, All-nickel, or two choices of enamel patterns (one blue, one red). But always with holding a gold plated a Gillette New on ball-end handle.

But even if the set thus was delivered with a Gillette razor it was actually not produced or marketed by the Gillette corporation, but rather by another Boston, Mass. located company: The ‘Old Colony Distributing Co’. And fittingly this company details are engraved in the set as well as was used in advertisements. The background of this partnership and the reasons for Gillette accepting this have since been lost(?) but is confirmed by a same-time advertisements.

It seems(?) that the set was originally delivered with a Gillette De Luxe (Kroman) blade, today very rare indeed.

I came upon this immaculate and complete set in Rome, Italy. An extremely lucky find as only few sets appear, and only very rarely with both the soap dispenser and manual present.

Seller pics provided; I will provide my own when I receive the set.

Any further or corrective information warmly appreciated :thumbup1:

6B0E01B5-A772-4B91-BB73-7D16A015506B.png
861D1FB2-28E1-4CB2-A2F4-A7309D46DADB.png
E576C322-5347-453C-9C03-604FF8A5954E.png
7F73CE1F-FE73-4EFB-82F0-4DA4C73434C9.png
BC6C8179-A62F-4F6B-9F99-E35049874211.png
3B9CA7A1-1175-4C2B-BF3B-2BF5C11BB398.png

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys! - The only thing I am lucky about is my razor friends with observant eyes :thumbup1: … and then my own occasional wild finds (not mentioning all the hours searching) :biggrin1:

Achim, your enamel sets are gorgeous - my next holy grails to hunt!

Thanks a lot guys! - The only thing I am lucky about is my razor friends with observant eyes :thumbup1: … and then my own occasional wild finds (not mentioning all the hours searching) :biggrin1:

Achim, your enamel sets are gorgeous - my next holy grails to hunt!

the red enamel set is complete with Kroman blades, but is missing the instruction. The blue enamel set is empty, has only the Folder Brush :blush:

The patents must be expired..... I no NOTHING of the process, but could that brush be 3D printed do y'all think?
I would not bother to print it. You still need 4 custom knots to get it going and all the other bells and whistles

Twice the size, but you could be amazed what fits in a standard stirling tub. Afaik someone even made a printed insert for just that.

and there are smaller refillable tubes to load with soap. Surprises me no one designed one to fit a stick of arko

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would not bother to print it. You still need 4 custom knots to get it going and all the other bells and whistles

Twice the size, but you could be amazed what fits in a standard stirling tub. Afaik someone even made a printed insert for just that.

and there are smaller refillable tubes to load with soap. Surprises me no one designed one to fit a stick of arko
Thank you for the reply my friend!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The patents must be expired..... I no NOTHING of the process, but could that brush be 3D printed do y'all think?

Completely doable, as mentioned - finding a suitable knot would be the difficult part.
I'm working on a 3D printed cream tube as my Foldabrush set is missing the tube.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Some genius engineering there, and the engine turned finish on the inside of the top lid just tells me care was taken to put quality into it. Very nice indeed!

Top Bottom