What's new

Thayes hazel witch

I've seen lots of shave product reviews and I noticed Hazel witch is used frequently by many before using a balm so what's the take on this Do you use it and what's the benefits ?

I've been using Thayers toner, usually alternating with a balm, for years. I especially like the lavender version. The fragrance is noticeable but very light so it doesn't leave a lasting aroma. I like that, but some folks prefer a lasting scent.
The Thayers gets rid of any soap or oil left after shaving. There's some glycerin in it, and I think that contributes to my skin seeming smoother but not at all greasy after I use it.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Peterv1!

There are a few brands and varieties of witch hazel.
And they don't have to be used with a balm.
Often wh is a good stand-alone aftershave splash.
Or just as a skin soother, cleanser, or face-freshener.
With or without light scent; usually without alcohol (no burn), while a couple have added alcohol.
Thayers call itself "face toner" and now come in small 3 oz bottles, so easy to try.
Enjoy the journey!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I tried three types, the astringent, and two toners, rose and lavender. To be honest I was totally unimpressed, the scent was non existent in the toners as were any noticeable benefits to my skin after shaving. Had you replaced the contents with plain water I would not have noticed. The astringent was more effective but I did not like the effect which was to reduce the aftershave burn which I love. I gave them all to my wife who uses them as a cleanser and likes them a lot. YMMV.

Witch Hazel can be an astringent (with alcohol in there) or a toner (alcohol-free). The former has antiseptic properties, and the latter helps to moisturize the skin.

The scents are very light and are not designed to last like an AS or cologne. They mostly fade as soon as the product evaporates.

In winter I use Thayer's toner because it helps with my dry skin. And I'll use it to help reduce shave irritation when that happens. For razor bumps, the astringent is good because it helps to dry them out (you can dab it just on the bumps a few times a day). As the warmer weather is here I find I'm not using it that much.

It's definitely an optional step. Many AS splashes contain WH so there can be some redundancy.

I use Thayers cucumber or lavender with aloe after every shave. My post shave is an alum block, witch hazel and then an aftershave product mainly for the scent. The witch hazel leaves my skin soft and smooth. I could easily omit the aftershave splash or balm and really be just fine. I just like a nice Bay Rum or Proraso scent to finish my shave. Witch Hazel is a must for my shave routine. Thayers is my favorite.

I bought this and to honest it feels like too much artificial stuff on my face doing both. It feels like a non stingy splash to me so I alternate either the lavender toner or a balm but not both.

I do use Witch Hazel, after my cold water splash, and let it dry on my face as I clean up my brush and bowl. Mostly for its antiseptic qualities before smoothing out my face with Nivea or Proraso balm as my final step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use Thayer's as part of my aftershave rotation; I like it when I want something light. I love the cucumber scent, and also like coconut. Just bought some lemon. I don't like any alcohol in my aftershaves (I hate that sting/burn), so Thayer's suits me well.

For a thicker balm, I go to Spieck or Stirling.

I use Thayers after every shave. After the cold water splash, I feel like the witch hazel helps to remove any remaining soap residue, and it also feels nice on the skin. Once it dries, I slap on an alcohol based splash.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've really grown to enjoy using the Thayers Medicated Superhazel most days. I like the aloe vera and the camphor in addition to the witch hazel and mild alcohol. But alas, it has apparently been discontinued recently.

I've really grown to enjoy using the Thayers Medicated Superhazel most days. I like the aloe vera and the camphor in addition to the witch hazel and mild alcohol. But alas, it has apparently been discontinued recently.
Renamed to Medicated I believe. My favorite as well.

Edit: Holy cow. Went to get you a link and it’s discontinued.... Only pads with it on now.

Last edited:
For many years, I have been using Thayers WH toner either rose petal or lavender. I started using it on a recommendation from my dermatologist.

BTW, I wrote to Thayers concerning the Medicated Superhazel. The individual who answered by email said there was not enough interest for them to continue producing it.

I don't like thayers, too much glycerin and it makes my skin feel greasy. I'm a big fan of Dickinson's and just plain store brand witch hazel. In the summer time I really enjoy the Dickinson's enhanced line that has menthol, eucalyptus, and camphor and my wife uses their rose version daily. Also cheaper then Thayer's! Thayer's is usually $10-$12 a bottle and Dickinson's is usually around $7 a bottle for those 'fancy' ones I mentioned.

I've used Thayers for a few years, great product. I apply right after rinsing off lather (no cold slash here), usually follow up with a no-brand moisturizer after 5 or so minutes. I normally have oily skin (olive complexion) and this routine is perfect for me.

I find it acts as mild astringent for small nicks, seems to disinfect/clean, and tones/closes pores slightly.

edit: Wife also takes bottles from my stash and uses it daily.

I use it dally after shaving and before applying AS. Great stuff. I have every flavor and I try to match it with my soap and AS.

Top Bottom