What's new

Thayer's Witch Hazel...why & how???

I have searched to find some in depth info on Thayer's Witch Hazel but have come up with very little solid info I am really looking for. Here are my questions.

1. What is the real purpose of applying Witch Hazel after a shave?

2. How is the best way to apply it? Cotton ball, splash, spritz, spray?

3. How much do you use per application?

4. What additional uses have you found for it?

I am a lover of the Rose fragrance so I just had to buy a bottle of the Thayer's Rose & Aloe Witch Hazel [alcohol free] today. Please give me some pointers.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Folks will tell you it's mildly astringent, removes excess soap residue, etc. I use it (the Thayer's) because it just feels so good going on. It's always the first thing to touch my face after the cold water rinse. All other treatments come after this initial application.

I was always a "pour a teaspoon in my hands and rub it in" kind of guy, but recently have had much success spritzing it on. A quick spritz also is great before applying an alcohol based a/s, or before applying the thick and unwieldy Proraso pre/post.

I can't do without it. The best method I have found is to use an atomizer to really cover my face and let it soak in. It stops very light bleeders, cools and soothes my face. I'm also a firm believer in that it helps reduce redness and irritation. It's an absolute must in my shaving routine.

CraigK

PottyDoctor said:

• I use witch hazel to clean and close the pores.
  • I really enjoy using a spritzer/sprayer for application.
  • The amount I use depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll spray until my face is dripping and other times, just a light misting.
  • I like to keep a bottle of this stuff at work and towards midafternoon, if my face is starting to get oily or I need a little pick-me-up, I'll pull out the witch hazel.

Kyle said:
I like to keep a bottle of this stuff at work and towards midafternoon, if my face is starting to get oily or I need a little pick-me-up, I'll pull out the witch hazel.

Looks like Witch Hazel is gonna' be my new friend! :wink:

It sounds great! I just ordered a bottle of the rose. I have been using Jason's Witch-Vera gel, which is a combination of witch hazel and aloe vera along with some other skin soothing ingredients. I will compare the two.

How is the Thayer's after shave? Has anyone tried it?

Steve said:
How is the Thayer's after shave? Has anyone tried it?

The aftershave is better at closing pores, but it's nowhere near as mild as the non-alcoholic versions.

Witchhazel is a toner. Thayers also has aloe in their mix to moisturize. Their lavender and rose also smell great.

PottyDoctor said:

Ron,

Thayer's ROSE Witch Hazel is part of SOTD, almost every day. I like it for the astringency, toning, and the scent, even use it at night.

I pour out a puddle into my left hand and splash it on around face & neck, let it dry a little, then put on an ASB. The Witch Hazel makes the balm go a long way.

As an added benefit, I use it on my 12 year old's face when he breaks out in acne and it clears him up in just a few days!

Check your local GNC store. Someone recently posted that GNC is now stocking Thayer's. I picked up a bottle of Rose on Tuesday night. Also, Whole Foods and Wild Oats carry Thayer's.

Randy

tam.audio said:
Thanks much Randy!

Not a problem. If nothing else, you can Google Thayer's Witch Hazel and several online shops will turn up. However, pick it up locally and you will save the shipping.

So, if you are The Other Kyle, does that make you OK?

Best of luck.

Randy

Just used my Rose Petal Witch Hazel a few days and looks like I'm gonna' love the stuff! Great product at a value price! :wink:

I have Dickinson's. That's just what they had at CVS, I didn't know any better :( Still, it seems to work nicely for me even though it has no rose, aloe, and contains alcohol!

BTW I use a cotton ball.

javyn said:
I have Dickinson's. That's just what they had at CVS, I didn't know any better :( Still, it seems to work nicely for me even though it has no rose, aloe, and contains alcohol!

BTW I use a cotton ball.

What does the aroma (stench?) of that Dickinson's do for you?

javyn said:

BTW I use a cotton ball.

I HAD Dickinson's. Two different bottles (they had different colored labels). What a SOUR smell. Tried adding Peppermint EO to it...what a waste. Thayer's, on the other hand, is a delight. I've been using the Lavender for a year and just picked up the Rose. Sweet!

Randy

I guess I just kind of tuned out the smell of it. I do notice though, it smells very sweet when it dries in the cotton ball. When I run out though, I'll definately get one of these more fanciful ones. Can't go wrong with Lavender.

I got myself a pretty large bottle of Thayers rose for $9. I do what Kyle does and spray it on, it's a pretty relaxing scent.

PottyDoctor said:
I have searched to find some in depth info on Thayer's Witch Hazel but have come up with very little solid info I am really looking for. Here are my questions.

I am a lover of the Rose fragrance so I just had to buy a bottle of the Thayer's Rose & Aloe Witch Hazel [alcohol free] today. Please give me some pointers.

Thanks to everyone for all the great answers on the proper use of the Thayer's Witch Hazel. I just had to report back and let everyone one know this stuff has turned out to be a "can't do without" aftershave. And after just two weeks of using it, my face is totally clear of bumps and blemishes! It's the perfect finish to any shave, leaving my face feeling clean, refreshed and irritation free.

The first few days of use, after applying the Thayer's, I would also use a balm in addition (Proraso or Nancy Boy). The combination of both proved to be just a bit over moisturizing for summer months, even using the tiniest amount of balm, so I omitted the balm and just went solo with the Thayer's. This stuff just may be the most amazing shaving product I have discovered since my return to DE shaving last year. I use a small spray bottle to apply it, then massage it in with a wet hand.

I had previously used Aloe Vera 80 with a moisturizer, usually Oil of Olay Hydrating Beauty Fluid. What I didn't realize was that the Aloe Vera 80 was actually causing the mild irriation I was experiencing. It wasn't a strong irritation like I experience with menthol products, but so mild that I thought it must be normal. In addition I kept having all these little bumps and blems pop up and couldn't figure out where they were coming from. Some of us just take a while to catch on you know. Anyway, once I discontinued use of Aloe Vera 80, the irritation went away. I still used the Oil of Olay for a few days on top of the Thayer's but soon discovered that I was over moisturizing with it. Thayer's is all I need, at least in summer months, and my face has never felt cleaner during the day. I no longer have that "grubby" feeling after a few hours.

My conclusion is that pure aloe produces a mild irritation to my face, but the amount in the Thayer's is just right! And being a rose lover, the scent of the Rose Petal Thayer's is a nice added benefit. Now I have to locate some Lavender and mix them! The really sweet part is that this stuff is relatively inexpensive and readily available at the local health food stores. What more can I say? Thayer's...my face thanks you! :thumbup:

Glad it worked out for you. I am in the same camp where aloe bothers me in its pure form, but the Thayer's is just right. Great product.

Top Bottom