What's new

Thayer's Witch Hazel...why & how???

Ron,
I tried your method this morning, and it's not bad. I actually used it to combine 3 products for a far better result than that achieved by my normal methods. For a witch hazel and proraso only application, I'll probably stick with my old methods, but this certainly has it's place.

You know, as a gastroenetrologist, I know that the primary ingredient in Tuck's pads is witch hazel. Perhaps, I would just wipe those on the face. I wonder how Prepearation H would do as an aftershave balm? Anyone care to do a review on that?

sorry...

Seriously, this sound great and I will pick some up in the next day or two.

MJB

I just dropped $11 for a bottle of Thayer's at Whole Foods Market. That's $2 more than Thayer's sells it for on their website. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow morning...

I usually pay $8-9 dollars per bottle. Check Whole Foods, Wild Oats or GNC. Remember, if you buy locally, you don't pay shipping!

Randy

I got my Thayers off of Amazon.com and paid $7.99 a bottle for 2 bottles of Rose. On Classicshaving you can get it for the same price (I think) but get different flavors (I prefer the alcohol free). I love the Thayers! It is now a part of my SOTD everyday and I use it in the evening after I was my face. So refreshing.

I also put it on after walking around on the fourth, was sweaty and such, and it was great and refreshing. I splash it on like an aftershave.

Darren

what is the difference between the rose and the original thayer's witch hazel?

what other places carry this product besides whole foods, gnc, and wild oats?

when applying this, should one spray it onto ones face or just rub it in?

what kind of bottles do you guys transfer the thayer's into to spray onto your face?

Steve said:
It sounds great! I just ordered a bottle of the rose. I have been using Jason's Witch-Vera gel, which is a combination of witch hazel and aloe vera along with some other skin soothing ingredients. I will compare the two.

How is the Thayer's after shave? Has anyone tried it?

The like th J/A/S/O/N products. While their shaving lotion is MINIMALLY foaming (which is by design) and I do not believe that it compares to a truly great wet-shave; I think that it works admirably. They also make a 6 in 1 after shave gel/balm. Its very fluid. Has Aloe and witch Hazel and is also very nice. When I use the JASON's I use a pump or two of the lotion and a small splash of the 6-in-1 for shaving. Then dilute the 6 in 1 about 30% with water for the aftershave (the dilution is so it doesn't foam which otherwise it does ever so slightly). The J/A/S/O/N is also tea scented so not really my favorite.

I did get some Thayer's Aloe/WH Lemon Scent. It is very nice although slightly medicinal and sour smelling--I added no balm or gell after that and thought it did what it needed to do.

Thanks all for the tip.

MJB

It's an astringent. You can apply the same way you apply a splash. Can't speak to spraying, as I've not tried that method. I

It's an astringent. You can apply the same way you apply a splash. Can't speak to spraying, as I've not tried that method. I
With all the 10 year old threads your resurrecting I'm heading over to the Speakeasy to check out the thread "What are you Drinking Tonight" to see what you posted there............:biggrin:

Last edited:
I have Dickinson's. That's just what they had at CVS, I didn't know any better :( Still, it seems to work nicely for me even though it has no rose, aloe, and contains alcohol!

BTW I use a cotton ball.
I have both and Thayers doesn't perform any better to me just more money.

I like witch hazel for its astringent and neutralizing properties. It calms down, so to speak, the burning of alcohol, bay rum, and probably others of which I'm unaware. For example, the Cap'n puts it in his Co9T to keep its strongest burning effects in check. Witch hazel is a multi-purpose ingredient, IMO.

Top Bottom