What's new

Thayer's Witch Hazel...why & how???

I got some Dickinson's the other day. My girlfriend smelled me after I put some on, and she told me that I smelled like meat! I guess it's that sour smell that she was picking up on (although I'm not eating the next burger she cooks!). I'll have to try some EO, or maybe just the Thayers.

As far as applying it, I really like using the makeup remover pads. Like a more substantial cotton ball, only spread out into a little "dauber".

I have been using the Thayer's lavender in a small spray bottle. Its great stuff. I know a lot of you guys are also fans of the rose but has anyone tried any of the other varietys. I think there is a lemon or citrus?

Cutthroat said:
I have been using the Thayer's lavender in a small spray bottle. Its great stuff. I know a lot of you guys are also fans of the rose but has anyone tried any of the other varietys. I think there is a lemon or citrus?

There is a Lemon variety. I like it very much and keep a bottle at work. I'd rather smell like a Lemon than a Rose with the folks I work with :biggrin:

KUJO said:
There is a Lemon variety. I like it very much and keep a bottle at work. I'd rather smell like a Lemon than a Rose with the folks I work with :biggrin:
My thoughts exactly. The lavender just smells kind of herbal to me and wears off rather quick. I definately do not want to smell like a vase full of flowers if things get ugly at work and turn physical. Kind of hard to put the fear of god in someone if you smell like grandma's rose garden.

Cutthroat said:
My thoughts exactly. The lavender just smells kind of herbal to me and wears off rather quick. I definately do not want to smell like a vase full of flowers if things get ugly at work and turn physical. Kind of hard to put the fear of god in someone if you smell like grandma's rose garden.

Yeah, and ditch the Nancy Boy Pirate shirt :biggrin:

So they have started selling it in the GNC's... I gotta go grab me some... btw does anyone know where they sell an alum block in the queens, NYC area? Otherwise I'll have to order one online...

Hello to the B&B crowd.. this is my first post

If you use Thayers Original with a few essential oils, you can make a great smelling and effective witch hazel spritz. For acne and related issues, 2-3 drops of geranium, bergamot, and/or tea trea oils will do. For aroma, rose and lavender (which both mix very well with geranium and bergamot) are popular scents that will mix very well. Since Thayers already makes those two scents, you can try peppermint, sandalwood, or vetiver oils.

Be stingy with the bergamot drops because it is phototoxic (makes skin susceptible to sun damage).

Telly

S

Sam

Kujo: I got some Thayers with Lemon from Colonial Drug and let me tell you, it is one nice change of pace. There are two products I love in summer, just as a cheap indulgence: QED Davinci water and the Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel. Each is not expensive, but you come in from a hot afternoon or sweaty work and wash your face and hit it with a splash of either of those - nice

Sam

One thing I'd like to mention as well.... Dickensons Witch Hazel is superb stuff. It doesn't get nearly as much voice on the forum, as it smells medicinal, but it does however work, and work well, and it can be purchased wickedly cheap.

If you are just looking for the "effects" of witch hazel - no need to go with the "fru fru" stuff. Personally - I enjoy the Thayer's scented witch hazels - but again, they most certainly are not necessary and the Dickensons is a heck of a lot less expensive.

joel said:
One thing I'd like to mention as well.... Dickensons Witch Hazel is superb stuff. It doesn't get nearly as much voice on the forum, as it smells medicinal, but it does however work, and work well, and it can be purchased wickedly cheap.

If you are just looking for the "effects" of witch hazel - no need to go with the "fru fru" stuff. Personally - I enjoy the Thayer's scented witch hazels - but again, they most certainly are not necessary and the Dickensons is a heck of a lot less expensive.

I would say that it smells "sour". I tossed two bottles that I had tried to improve with Peppermint oil. This stuff, to my nose, stinks.

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
I would say that it smells "sour". I tossed two bottles that I had tried to improve with Peppermint oil. This stuff, to my nose, stinks.

Randy

I agree. The Dickinson's smells nasty to me and added nothing to the pleasure of my shave whereas the Thayer's is another product that adds to the pleasant experience. That said, some people like kimchee and some don't:shaving:

TstebinsB said:
Hello to the B&B crowd.. this is my first post

If you use Thayers Original with a few essential oils, you can make a great smelling and effective witch hazel spritz. For acne and related issues, 2-3 drops of geranium, bergamot, and/or tea trea oils will do. For aroma, rose and lavender (which both mix very well with geranium and bergamot) are popular scents that will mix very well. Since Thayers already makes those two scents, you can try peppermint, sandalwood, or vetiver oils.

Be stingy with the bergamot drops because it is phototoxic (makes skin susceptible to sun damage).

Telly

elaborate more on the drops of geranium,etc part please
anybody have experience with this?
what kind of product is this? where would one acquire it?

is thayer's witch hazel a moisturizer? do you guys still use aftershave after you apply this? is there a need for aftershave if you use this product?

It is a toner, with a bit of aloe in it. Whether you need moisturizer afterward depends on your skin, the time of year, etc.

randomtw said:
is thayer's witch hazel a moisturizer? do you guys still use aftershave after you apply this? is there a need for aftershave if you use this product?

I put my Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel in a little spray bottle for convenience of application. Sometimes I only use the Thayer's as my after shave if I feel like I don't need additional moisturizing and for those shaves when I've used a cream which does a good job of moisturizing. Other times I use a small, very small, amount of after shave balm or moisturizer.

My favorite way to apply is 1) pat face dry with towel after cold water rinse, 2) put a pea size dab of Nancy Boy AS Balm or Proraso AS Balm in the palm of my left hand, then generously spay the same hand with the Thayer's, 3) rub my palms together and apply to my face, gently massaging the mixture in. Very soothing and cooling, especially with the NB or Proraso.

Thayer's Witch Hazel has become a "must have" shaving balm! You can use it thoughout the day. Thayer's...it's not just for shaving anymore!!!

PottyDoctor said:
My favorite way to apply is 1) pat face dry with towel after cold water rinse, 2) put a pea size dab of Nancy Boy AS Balm or Proraso AS Balm in the palm of my left hand, then generously spay the same hand with the Thayer's, 3) rub my palms together and apply to my face, gently massaging the mixture in. Very soothing and cooling, especially with the NB or Proraso.
That sounds like an interesting way to apply. I think I'll try it out.

Kyle said:
That sounds like an interesting way to apply. I think I'll try it out.

I find that most balms applied by themselves leave my face feeling a little too greasy or overmoisturized sometimes. But mostly the reason I started combining the two was that it rubbed in or absorbed better and when applying you did not get that "sticky" feeling trying to rub in a thick balm like the NB.

I have tried spraying the Thayer's directly onto my face, then applying a balm. However, it seems you get a much smoother and better absorbing solution when you combine the two in the palms first.

Since I have started using the Thayer's I have had much, much less problems with skin irritation. It is a product I now use at least once daily. One of the best values in AS balms!

Top Bottom