What's new

Thayers Witch Hazel Vs Generic Witch Hazel

I find Thayers to be worth the extra cost because they add scent to most of them (unless you get the unscented). I find that most generic WH smells a bit like cat pee.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have always found Thayers to be worth the extra cash.

I've never understood why anyone would buy generic WH to save money. I use Thayer's unscented every day. I always pour out a little too much and the bottle lasts me about two years. That's 42 cents a month (or obviously a little over a penny a day). I get if you prefer the stinky stuff, but to save money?

I use the Dickinson's. Can't see the benefit for the price increase. Target has sample bottles of Thayer's for the same price of the full size Dickinson's.

I would be interested in peoples opinions on the Thayer's Rose and Cucumber scents. Those are the Target samplers.

I use the Dickinson's. Can't see the benefit for the price increase. Target has sample bottles of Thayer's for the same price of the full size Dickinson's.

I would be interested in peoples opinions on the Thayer's Rose and Cucumber scents. Those are the Target samplers.

The scents are easy to describe. Very very light and refreshing. Cucumber scented smells like the refreshing cucumber water you’d find in a nice spa or hotel lobby for example.

. One alcohol-free lotion I like is Lucky Tiger after-shave and face tonic. Not sure if it has WH, but it does have aloe vera and chamomile, and a tangerine scent which is most unusual.

Edit: apparently the LT solution does have WH.

View attachment 960633

Lucky Tiger FTW. I used Thayers Cucumber in the past, but LT seems to keep my face from feeling dry post shave. It’s my daily splash now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never understood why anyone would buy generic WH to save money. I use Thayer's unscented every day. I always pour out a little too much and the bottle lasts me about two years. That's 42 cents a month (or obviously a little over a penny a day). I get if you prefer the stinky stuff, but to save money?

Saving money is saving money. You don’t see why someone would spend $2.50 on the spot vs $11? Some people have to think that way, nothing wrong with it.

Lucky Tiger FTW. I used Thayers Cucumber in the past, but LT seems to keep my face from feeling dry post shave. It’s my daily splash now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lucky Tiger and Thayer's is a better comparison of products. They both have a lot of ingredients to nourish your face.

One version along the lines of Thayer's and Lucky Tiger that I've found in France is "L'eau micellaire" by Christian Lénart. It's a blend of floral waters in a witch hazel solution. Really great stuff. Sells for around 6 euros for a 500ml bottle in the supermarkets.

I love Thayer's. I have the original with aloe (astringent) and the rose toner. Sure there are cheaper brands, but I know the Thayer's is good and it works and a bottle lasts ages so I don't really care. I'd like to try the lavender and lemon scents eventually.

There are several alcohol-free WH-based AS products. (My dermatologist is very anti-alcohol for skin.) I’ve tried LT, Stirling and Ogalalla as well as Thayers and plain WH. Thayers is my go-to. It’s the most like plain WH but more refreshing to me. The others have stronger fragrances and more oily feel going on. But each is distinctive. FWIW, Stirling fragrances and skin feel work best for me.

What others should we try?

These are the two I have. Been buying the Rose for years. Both smell very natural and true to their name. I prefer the Rose and will always have a bottle in my cabinet. Will try lavender next.

I like Thayers and other blended WH's that contain aloe vera and other skin food but too much aloe vera leaves a sticky layer on my skin, which I don't like. So ... ehem ... I mix Humphrey's WH with Thayers, 80/20 respectively. Perfect!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Real WH generally has alcohol in it. My take is if you are following up with an alcohol based aftershave so what.

I also have some Thayers lavender scented with aloe. If I get razor burn that is soothing and helps heal and I do use it, but I prefer not to. Aloe leaves my skin feeling gummy/sticky and I don't like that.

If I have a good shave it's just WH and then AS or a lotion type balm.

I think there is an unhealthy fear of skin products with alcohol in them today.

I agree! I am pretty cheap, but a couple cents a day to not have to splash the scent of dirty feet on my face is a no brainer! Ha

Enjoy the cheap witch hazels if you can, I am impressed with your fortitude! Shave on brothers!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Enjoy the cheap witch hazels if you can, I am impressed with your fortitude! Shave on brothers!

I'm not using the cheap stuff to save money, I honestly like it better. The non alcohol and aloe version is a new invention, not traditional at all. It might be an improvement if you have torn up your face, but if I have a good shave, traditional witch hazel is best. This is an interesting read on the main US manufacturer's history and some history of the substance. The Mysterious Past and Present of Witch Hazel - The Atlantic

I'm not using the cheap stuff to save money, I honestly like it better. The non alcohol and aloe version is a new invention, not traditional at all. It might be an improvement if you have torn up your face, but if I have a good shave, traditional witch hazel is best. This is an interesting read on the main US manufacturer's history and some history of the substance. The Mysterious Past and Present of Witch Hazel - The Atlantic
Still stinks!:001_tt2:

Very interesting. Thanks for the link. I live near East Hampton, CT and go fishing there often in the spring. I had no idea that my witch hazel comes from the there.

Top Bottom