What's new

Thats it!

Ive had it...im pulling the trigger and dipping my toes into the deep end...ive been looking at a cut throat for years...i will be buying it in roughly 2 weeks- a month and when it arrives ill show it ....then in a couple weeks ill buy a 1k 4k and a 8k stone (mayyyybe shapton) then a real leather strop....and see what the fuss is... - _-

Go for it!

Unless it needs restoration you won't need all those hones for a while. I highly recommend looking into a pasted balsa strop progression for maintaining your edge. Once it is shave ready, balsa and diamond might keep it going forever. Leather is of course required every shave. Light touch on the stropping!

A bunch of other guys should arrive soon to give you even more unsolicited advice.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to the gentlemanly art of SR shaving. If you can persevere with a couple of dozen regular SR shaves, you will be kicking yourself for not trying this years ago.

I hope your first SR is truly shave-ready. If it is, @Tanuki is right about the diamond pasted balsa strops. Here you can read all about it while you are waiting.

As for a leather strop, you will most probably cut up at least your first one (I went though two) while you are learning, so keep your first one to something you won't mind throwing out after a few shaves. Please try and refrain from using any sort of abrasive on a leather or linen strop. Here are the strops that used to practice cutting up:

As for whetstones, I started off using lapping films on an acrylic substrate. Much more economical while learning. For the best advice on all your initial honing requirements, check out the Newbie Honing Compendium here:

I now use 400, 1k and 6k synthetics (cost me about USD 30 total including delivery on AliExpress) for bevel setting and initial refinement before moving on the lapping films and finishing with the diamond pasted balsa. I have so far honed up 32 different SR's only using the gear that I have. Unless you intend to hone many more SR's, I believe that expensive whetstones are just not worth it. Once a blade has been properly prepared, it should never need honing again. Just some very light laps on 0.1um diamond pasted balsa (hanging) after each use and that edge will never deteriorate.

My tip is to get the strop and chosen honing equipment before you get the razor. Otherwise you are likely to hit a dead end pretty quickly. With all the gear in place you will be ready for anything.

Thank you i shall read that soon :)...hm so dont bother with the shaptons if im not going to have multiple razors ? Mmm...i did see some japanese ones that also caught my eye they were alot cheaper maybe half as much

Welcome to the gentlemanly art of SR shaving. If you can persevere with a couple of dozen regular SR shaves, you will be kicking yourself for not trying this years ago.

I hope your first SR is truly shave-ready. If it is, @Tanuki is right about the diamond pasted balsa strops. Here you can read all about it while you are waiting.

As for a leather strop, you will most probably cut up at least your first one (I went though two) while you are learning, so keep your first one to something you won't mind throwing out after a few shaves. Please try and refrain from using any sort of abrasive on a leather or linen strop. Here are the strops that used to practice cutting up:

As for whetstones, I started off using lapping films on an acrylic substrate. Much more economical while learning. For the best advice on all your initial honing requirements, check out the Newbie Honing Compendium here:

I now use 400, 1k and 6k synthetics (cost me about USD 30 total including delivery on AliExpress) for bevel setting and initial refinement before moving on the lapping films and finishing with the diamond pasted balsa. I have so far honed up 32 different SR's only using the gear that I have. Unless you intend to hone many more SR's, I believe that expensive whetstones are just not worth it. Once a blade has been properly prepared, it should never need honing again. Just some very light laps on 0.1um diamond pasted balsa (hanging) after each use and that edge will never deteriorate.
@rbscebu , can you pls add the link for the strop on Ali's?

The review is nice, but doesn't really help w/o a link.

I've browsed on Ali and there are like a dozen of these strops, all look identical, just have a different logo and so it'd be great to know which one is the one you're using.

Ive had it...im pulling the trigger and dipping my toes into the deep end...ive been looking at a cut throat for years...i will be buying it in roughly 2 weeks- a month and when it arrives ill show it ....then in a couple weeks ill buy a 1k 4k and a 8k stone (mayyyybe shapton) then a real leather strop....and see what the fuss is... - _-
I was there just a little while ago and took advice from experienced folks here and in particular from the artisan who created my SR (Ulrik @ Koraat).

The stone to get is a 3K/10K Naniwa. He uses this stone to hone his razors.

Unless you plan to do this on an industrial scale, the combo stone will save you money. The 10K edge is the same as Naniwa 12K, some even say it's more comfortable edge. Anyway, even if there is some difference, it's negligible.

The 3K side is more than enough if you ever need to re-set the bevel, you don't need the 1K. It sure is faster, but you don't "need" it.

My personal advice - get a Naniwa lapping stone, it's a great one and not too expensive. Forget about mounting a sand paper on a marble tile, it's a hassle and as a newbie you won't get it perfect anyhow and so why bother.

Enjoy the ride and post the pics once you get the razor! 😊

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@rbscebu , can you pls add the link for the strop on Ali's?

The review is nice, but doesn't really help w/o a link.

I've browsed on Ali and there are like a dozen of these strops, all look identical, just have a different logo and so it'd be great to know which one is the one you're using.
If they look alike, they are the same. They are all made by the same manufacturer and badge engineered for different vendors. Just pick a vendor that has a price, shipping cost and delivery time that suits you.

Would this be ideal ...they are a decent price for three and he hasnt got many left.. 1k 4k and 8k king stones plus nagura and guide clip

Attachments

• 02270DA5-9A5B-45A1-91E7-A9182E62D70D.png
    02270DA5-9A5B-45A1-91E7-A9182E62D70D.png
    958.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't tried those stones they could be okay though most people tend to go for Naniwa or Shapton.
I tried a few less expensive stones that I had, for knives, after starting to use straights but the results were less than optimal. I have bought a bunch of Naniwas and Shaptons over the past few years along with some naturals and don't regret the purchase, though I wasn't expecting to spend so much at the start.
You will find .1 diamond online, well I did in the UK. I have a whole load of pasted strops that I bought or made and sometimes use, however my new Translucent Arkansas stone from Dan's is giving me edges that aren't improved by paste.

Reactions: CCR
mm ill have to import the .1 i guess ...i wouldnt of blinked at buying overseas but with this virus stuff its made parcels take a heck of alot longer lol

Some times things take longer but from ordering to arrival in the UK my stone from Dan's was three day's not bad for crossing the pond. Three more day's to get here from London of course !!

Top Bottom