What's new

That'll teach me to loan a pen out...

We were on our way to get to the airport for our trip just over a week ago, and SWMBO needed to a pen RIGHT NOW! to write something down. Not thinking anything of it, I pull out my Retro 51 Tornado Big Shot in titanium and rose gold and hand it over to her. It looks like this:

Retro51 Big Shot Titanium by HurricaneDad411, on Flickr

The next thing I know, she's giggling like a schoolgirl and my pen disappears into her purse. Little did I realize that her current kick on rose gold was THAT intense. So, I did the only thing that a man can do.

I pouted. Then, at the first opportunity, I bought myself another one. It should be here tomorrow afternoon. :D

I just hesitate to think about what would have happened if she had taken a liking to my Edison!

It's good that she appreciates your collecting but bad when she decides that you are collecting nice things for her too.... Especially when she picks your best toys. Now you need to get here interested in Harleys :lol:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That turned out so much better than the title suggested! I figured someone messed up the nib of your Parker Big Red when they dropped it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My wife couldn't care less about my pens. My 10 year old granddaughter, on the other hand, has gotten the bug. When I bought a big bottle of Noodlers, it came with that free pen. I told her if she took care of it I would get her another pen. She has taken great care of it, and I will be ordering a Noodler's flex (my Ahab is too big for her hands) and a bottle of Noodlers Tchaikovsky. She is my library buddy, too.

She has taken great care of it, and I will be ordering a Noodler's flex (my Ahab is too big for her hands) and a bottle of Noodlers Tchaikovsky. She is my library buddy, too.

PM me your address. I've got a Flex (new vintage) that is not going to get any love from me. Yours (hers) for the asking. It's the green and white swirl.

Buy her a nice case for it so it's not clanking around in her purse.

Heh, she's got an organizer in her purse that she's got it clipped to a vertical pen pocket of. sheesh, that's a rotten sentence. Anyway, between the body being Ti and the fact that she's got it stored decently, I don't think she'll do it any harm. She absolutely loves the way it writes. So did my dad when he borrowed it, but he wouldn't appreciate it, since he steals pens from the bank tellers. :p

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I won't even loan my wife a Bic Stic pen. I'm not a pen guy, but I know my wife and she will send it to the lost pen black hole of the universe. I once had 1000 pens with my business name, address and phone number and within a few months, between her and our youngest, they have all but disappeared. I think I supplied pens to the entire graduating class of 2007, their kid sisters & brothers, aunts & uncles, cats & dogs...

My wife couldn't care less about my pens. My 10 year old granddaughter, on the other hand, has gotten the bug. When I bought a big bottle of Noodlers, it came with that free pen. I told her if she took care of it I would get her another pen. She has taken great care of it, and I will be ordering a Noodler's flex (my Ahab is too big for her hands) and a bottle of Noodlers Tchaikovsky. She is my library buddy, too.

That is wonderful to hear. I always loved pens and pencils, since a young age, but i didn't get my first fountain pen until middle school, probably around 12 or 13 i think. She is getting a good early start! Also wonderful to hear that bit about the library. I get so sad whenever i speak to someone, child or adult, who doesn't read.

I have wanted a Retro 51 for a long time, probably at least 15 years, I would have put it in my purse too...if I had a purse.....

Marty

You said you were on the way to the airport. Good thing TSA didn't classify that thing as a club or weapon and confiscate it! I know they're on the lookout for some of the tactical protection pens like the Benchmade or Surefire pens/kubitons (of course, a Zebra F-701 serves the same purpose without looking as "tacticool", and is the pen I'll travel with since I can't really fly with my FP's without a lot of prep work).

Cheers!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That is wonderful to hear. I always loved pens and pencils, since a young age, but i didn't get my first fountain pen until middle school, probably around 12 or 13 i think. She is getting a good early start! Also wonderful to hear that bit about the library. I get so sad whenever i speak to someone, child or adult, who doesn't read.

I have 2 other grandchildren of reading age- they couldn't care less about it. I remember when Preslie (the reader) came to me and gave me an excited book report on a book she read on Harriet Tubman. After that, we started going to the library regularly. When I get a spare bedroom back, I was discussing making it my office, with book shelves and a nice reading chair. She said "Pappy, will you give me a couple shelves and a chair?" I said of course I would. She was so excited she told all of her friends at school.

Top Bottom