What's new

Thater Synthetic

Has anyone tried the Thater synthetics? I mainly use the RR Big Brucewhile occasionally using my Envy TBSW tuxedo Synthetic. Curious to see if anyone has tried them or have any opinions on them.

I have one on the way, time will tell.

Can’t wait to hear your review. Unlit sure if it warrants the 70$ price tag compared to a 12$ RR BIG BRUCE, but the Thater badgers are my favorites so I’m tempted to try.

I'm very new to synthetics and have been very impressed with Yaqi knots that cost <$20. Is there that much variety in synthetic knots now? I honestly don't know as I only have Yaqi and RazoRock. I will say that two of my synthetic brushes have great knots but terrible handles. I'd pay a little more for a nicer handle.

99% sure that the Thater knot is the same as the Shavemac synth. I have two of the Shavemac synths and I like them a lot. They are more similar to a Muhle synth knot than a Yaqui/RR synth.

EE86D841-5969-46E0-BAAB-BFD46193F0C8.jpeg
Used the 28mm fan Shavemac synth in jade today. There’s a 26mm bulb tortoise synth next to it. These are great dense synth brushes with nice backbone and soft tips.
There’s a Thater 2-band badger in the background. That is one of my very favorite brushes, great for face lathering.
If I was had to choose between the synth brush or the badger, I’d probably go for the badger. Luckily, I don’t have to do that. They excel in different ways and I appreciate them both.
I’m operating under the assumption that the Shavemac and Thater are the same. I’d expect the Thater to be just as nice.

View attachment 1027216
Used the 28mm fan Shavemac synth in jade today. There’s a 26mm bulb tortoise synth next to it. These are great dense synth brushes with nice backbone and soft tips.
There’s a Thater 2-band badger in the background. That is one of my very favorite brushes, great for face lathering.
If I was had to choose between the synth brush or the badger, I’d probably go for the badger. Luckily, I don’t have to do that. They excel in different ways and I appreciate them both.
I’m operating under the assumption that the Shavemac and Thater are the same. I’d expect the Thater to be just as nice.
There is a relationship between the two German firms so I would not be surprised to find they shared the same knot. They look identical to me as well.
Lovely brush in the tortoise beehive, I have a 2-band Thater and a Thater boar with that handle and love it.

Just got my Thater synthetic about a week ago. After a couple of shaves, I'm liking it. It's got very solid backbone, but that kind of means that it tends to fling lather a little bit. Makes great lather, but can't compare to the new M. Red I just got from France. I love everything about it. In this case, France>Germany.

Top Bottom