What's new

Thater Premium Boar

All's well that ends well. OP received a much better brush from Thater and then traded it for something he liked. That is like having the transmission fail on your Focus and Ford replacing the defective vehicle with a Lincoln.

Upstream, as Jim suggested, Connaught sells a very nice premium Omega boar with a jade handle for thirty bucks more or less. It is a nice one. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
All's well that ends well. OP received a much better brush from Thater and then traded it for something he liked. That is like having the transmission fail on your Focus and Ford replacing the defective vehicle with a Lincoln.

Upstream, as Jim suggested, Connaught sells a very nice premium Omega boar with a jade handle for thirty bucks more or less. It is a nice one. :)

4-15-19.Kukri.Mallard.jade.640.JPG

I believe this to be the finest boar I know of.

It may not be my favorite boar. It's in the top three and gaining, but it has a perfect size, perfect handle, and perfect knot. It's on the small side overall, and its knot is small enough to rinse fairly quickly. At the same time the knot is actually pretty large in the ways that matter.

Somebody flat out nailed the ergonomics of the turned acrylic resin handle.

By my measurements the Omega 011829 Jade Handle Connaught Premium Boar has a 27mm knot and a 49mm loft.

I claim no expertise when it comes to boars but I set out to build a small collection of the premium brushes available. This is the Crown Jewel!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Your link is for a Silvertip Badger... I believe Thater boar's retail below $100

Again my reply was to Cino's comment that the badgers were stellar.

They better be for $150.

I've had some albeit, limited experience with epoxies while making fishing rods so I'm very interested to know why the hairs sheer off like that. Is the compound too brittle or once dry the glue forms crystals that are abrasive to the slight movement of the hairs.

Hello, a short story of my acquaintance with Thater
In October 2018, I purchased a premium wild boar, so I got a brush from the Bullgoose store
proxy.php

proxy.php

I contacted Harald Schuldes and sent him a damaged brush, he confirmed the marriage and sent a replacement
proxy.php

a new brush worked for 2 or 3 months and became unusable
proxy.php

proxy.php

this time Harald Schuldes had enough photos and he sent a new brush, though he had to wait. That's what came from him.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

and cherry on the cake, Thame noname
proxy.php

I think this is a shame, I have not been able to use a quality product from this company for almost a year, I wrote them a letter asking them to return the money, but Herald replied that he didn’t see the defect, the brush was perfect and they would send a logo. This cannot be considered a premium product. I just want to return the money for this low-quality product, but they do not want to return it.

...but Herald replied that he didn’t see the defect, the brush was perfect and they would send a logo.

What I objectively* learned about Thater from this thread:
1) They don't know how to make brushes.
2) Bad customer communication skills.
3) Bad dealer relations.
4) Reluctant to stand behind their warranty.
5) No pride in manufacturing their product.

*not trying to bash the brand

I will say it again that Bullgoose getting a complete pass in any of this is wrong and will never get a dime from me ever, for anything!! They should've been the go between for any and all transactions here and made sure the money you paid them was satisfactory, period... Its just not fair they get a free pass on any of these brushes that "THEY" sold as defective!!

I will also add that though I once wanted a Thater brush, I no longer do!!

This is a shame. I agree that Thater does not know how to make a boar brush or any brush for that matter.
Their customer service is really bad. And BullGoose should have gotten involved in this. As someone said, they BullGoose, did sell the product.

BullGoose should have gotten involved in this. As someone said, they BullGoose, did sell the product.

They complained that the manufacturer is difficult to deal with and wouldn't stand behind their warranty or give any leeway that keeps a customer happy in the long term. So they are doing the manufacturer/dealer shuffle on who should take the financial hit for a faulty product.

Any manufacturer can have occasional quality issues. A good manufacturer will respond to those quality issues in a responsible manner. Unless the brush was dropped or otherwise damaged, it should not have failed so soon. Thater should have offered to replace the brush, or at least replace the defective knot.

1. the first brush had a defect with glue above the level of the handle - the manufacturer recognized and replaced
2. the second brush broke after 2 or 3 months - the manufacturer replaced
3. the third brush came with a defect (glue is higher than the handle and there is no logo). I refuse to use it and ask for a refund. In less than a year I have visited 3 brushes with a defect, do I have the right to a refund?

I've been using boar brushes for over 55 years, and have owned and used well over a hundred different brushes. I was so impressed with my first Thäter Premium White Boar brush that I gradually added two more, and have used one or the other nearly daily for the past year. The size of the knot and the loft are perfect for my tastes, as it is similar to the Antica Barbieria Colla boar brush but with more density, which is also one of my favorite brushes. I've been very impressed by the high quality of my Thäter brushes, and I've had no issues with them after nearly a year of vigorous use. I do think the Connaught premium Omega boar brush is an excellent brush, and is probably the best quality boar brush for the money, although I usually prefer more loft. It is, however, similar in size and loft to one of my favorite Semogue boar brushes.

I've been using boar brushes for over 55 years, and have owned and used well over a hundred different brushes. I was so impressed with my first Thäter Premium White Boar brush that I gradually added two more, and have used one or the other nearly daily for the past year. The size of the knot and the loft are perfect for my tastes, as it is similar to the Antica Barbieria Colla boar brush but with more density, which is also one of my favorite brushes. I've been very impressed by the high quality of my Thäter brushes, and I've had no issues with them after nearly a year of vigorous use. I do think the Connaught premium Omega boar brush is an excellent brush, and is probably the best quality boar brush for the money, although I usually prefer more loft. It is, however, similar in size and loft to one of my favorite Semogue boar brushes.

Just curious, do you face lather or bowl lather?

Top Bottom