What's new

Thater Premium Boar

That brush (handle) is indeed well traveled. I'd place it in plexiglas box like an autographed baseball and give it a name.

Last edited:
Jim,

Ouch sorry to hear about your misadventures. Sincere hopes that alls well in the end!

Seriously W T F for Mongoose and Thater!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
And is it better or the same as the previous one (before it fell out)?

The one that fell out was a boar.

I traded the badger mostly because I wasn't thrilled with its backbone, but it was in my view a much better brush than the boar. The boar had nothing going for it even before the knot broke. The handle was great in my opinion, but the boar knot, not good at all. Scratchy. Floppy. Scritch City.

I am not saying all of the boars were bad necessarily. Many guys have reported loving theirs, but I'm not the only one to have had a bad Thater Premium Boar.

Still, not the end of the world. I suspect someone is really enjoying the badger they received in our trade and I'm enjoying what I got out of the deal.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The one that fell out was a boar.

I traded the badger mostly because I wasn't thrilled with its backbone, but it was in my view a much better brush than the boar. The boar had nothing going for it even before the knot broke. The handle was great in my opinion, but the boar knot, not good at all. Scratchy. Floppy. Scritch City.

I am not saying all of the boars were bad necessarily. Many guys have reported loving theirs, but I'm not the only one to have had a bad Thater Premium Boar.

Still, not the end of the world. I suspect someone is really enjoying the badger they received in our trade and I'm enjoying what I got out of the deal.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks for the update Jim!

I'll be staying away from Thater brushes for the time being.

Thater brushes are great brushes in my experience. I have several 2-band bulb and fan badgers and believe that they are flawless. Thater appears to have had a rough start with their venture into boar brushes so maybe caveat emptor with their boars. Their badgers are stellar though.

Thater brushes are great brushes in my experience. I have several 2-band bulb and fan badgers and believe that they are flawless. Thater appears to have had a rough start with their venture into boar brushes so maybe caveat emptor with their boars. Their badgers are stellar though.

I guess the issue is customer service and the price. Their brushes are about $150, at that price my expectations would be sky high. I would rather get a Maggard SHD knot and have a custom handle with a 19mm depth or a yaqi for just $50.

I guess it's all down to what's value to the end user.

I guess the issue is customer service and the price. Their brushes are about $150, at that price my expectations would be sky high. I would rather get a Maggard SHD knot and have a custom handle with a 19mm depth or a yaqi for just $50.

I guess it's all down to what's value to the end user.

Huh? Thater boar brushes are not $150. And once Jim, the OP, sent his defective brush to the company, they replaced it with an even nicer, more expensive one. Looks like a solid company.

Huh? Thater boar brushes are not $150. And once Jim, the OP, sent his defective brush to the company, they replaced it with an even nicer, more expensive one. Looks like a solid company.
You’re kinder in your description of Thater’s dealings with Jim than I would be. I’d describe Thater as finally relenting after being shamed into dealing with an unhappy customer with a seemingly defective product.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Your link is for a Silvertip Badger... I believe Thater boar's retail below $100

Yes, below a hundred dollars but not much below.

Other than the Thater what's the most expensive boar brush you can find?

There are a few Zeniths in the upper 60s ($68), but they have the same knot as Zenith brushes with less fancy handles, and much lower prices.

My Omega Premium from Connaught was in the 30 something dollar range.

The SOC is fairly expensive. Mine was in the 30 dollar range.

The Omega Italian Flag? The fancy handle raises the cost of it I think.

The Thater handle is certainly very nice (as I see it) but is it of better quality than the handle of the Connaught Omega? I don't think it is, but that's just my opinion. However, both are, I believe, turned acrylic resin or something similar.

There are plenty of fancy handled European boar brushes costing two thirds or one third what Thater boars sell for.

The Thater's marketing claim is a superior knot. Perhaps some are.

Maybe SV and Plisson make boars but I don't think so. If they did, they'd be expensive.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You’re kinder in your description of Thater’s dealings with Jim than I would be. I’d describe Thater as finally relenting after being shamed into dealing with an unhappy customer with a seemingly defective product.

+2

Not to mention that they are aware, that there are in the commerce brushes, that have a very specific defect in their glue and they just pray that those who will have broken knots won't be too many, too soon.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
+2

Not to mention that they are aware, that there are in the commerce brushes, that have a very specific defect in their glue and they just pray that those who will have broken knots won't be too many, too soon.

Interesting point. How many of the knots will eventually break? Was it one glue batch or all the glue batches? You'd think they might use the same glue every time and in the same way?

I was glad to get a replacement and all that, but I never liked the boar brush even before it broke on me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Interesting point. How many of the knots will eventually break? Was it one glue batch or all the glue batches? You'd think they might use the same glue every time and in the same way?

I was glad to get a replacement and all that, but I never liked the boar brush even before it broke on me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

That is a question, for which only they, know the answer... The thing is, even by EU law, after 2 years, they have no legal obligation to honor any warranty. If a brush breaks within 2 years, EU citizens could "demand" a replacement or repair. I don't know if this covers overseas sales though. Past the 2 years, there is no obligation and well, honestly, if your brush breaks after 2 years, would you even try to have it replaced or repaired? I wouldn't... Quite frankly, i wouldn't do it even if it broke within 6 months. But, i guess this is why i buy cheaper brushes and buy spares too. So if one breaks, i can just grab another from my stash and not having to deal with adventures like yours for a...shaving brush.

At the end of the day, i like to swirl without mercy my brushes. I don't want to have a "jewel" brush of $200, for which i will have to "mourn" if something goes bad. Because i have read that even the "royalty" brands like Simpson, do have their fair share of compulsive shedders for example. I have read about several Zeniths too.

Top Bottom