What's new

Thater Premium Boar

Thank you for your boar advice! I really appreciate reading your suggestions

I agree with you that omega can change hair quality within the batches. I put on sale my quite as new Proraso boar brush (I have 2) because it has less backbone as my first one. Still is a great brush but I have a Mondial brush (bought on the valuable advice from @Chan Eil Whiskers) that covers the soft area.

By the way (Thater in the mind) do you have the omega 48? If yes, what do you think about it?

For facelathering, i would suggest an Omega 24x55, if you want backbone, but not too much. It will be lower than Proraso, but still there. The dyed Omegas, are supposed to be a bit softer. Supposed, because i can tell you for sure, that Omega can change the bristle quality in the same model according to various batches. I have the same model in 2 brushes. The older brush has softer quality bristle. A more luxurious equivalent would be the Semogue 1250 (22x52 loft). This is badger-like soft on the upper half and the backbone is more pronounced in the lower half.

If you want a backbone similar to Proraso (maybe a bit lower), get Omega 22x50 or the Semogue 1470 (21x48 loft), which will be bit softer than the Omega, but with more backbone than the 1250.

Thank you for your boar advice! I really appreciate reading your suggestions

I agree with you that omega can change hair quality within the batches. I put on sale my quite as new Proraso boar brush (I have 2) because it has less backbone as my first one. Still is a great brush but I have a Mondial brush (bought on the valuable advice from @Chan Eil Whiskers) that covers the soft area.

By the way (Thater in the mind) do you have the omega 48? If yes, what do you think about it?

No, i don't have the 48. There is a chance it was the boar that i started with, but i didn't pay much attention at the time and i threw it away at some point during the migration to cartridges. I was also a bowl latherer then. Today, i wouldn't buy the 48 for face lathering (or any Pro for what matters), but if you do want a big Omega for face lathering, i would suggest the 49, which is a bit shorter (it's between the Proraso and the 48 in loft).

No, i don't have the 48. There is a chance it was the boar that i started with, but i didn't pay much attention at the time and i threw it away at some point during the migration to cartridges. I was also a bowl latherer then. Today, i wouldn't buy the 48 for face lathering (or any Pro for what matters), but if you do want a big Omega for face lathering, i would suggest the 49, which is a bit shorter (it's between the Proraso and the 48 in loft).
Not to get off topic too much here, but what boar brush would you recommend for bowl-lathering?

Not to get off topic too much here, but what boar brush would you recommend for bowl-lathering?

The opposites of facelathering. :001_302: Long lofts, big knots. Omega has 27mm knots or if you want something a bit smaller with different handle and softer bristle, there are the more costly of the medium brushes with resin handles, like 81064, 81151 (25x60mm), Zenith has 26mm knots, Antica Barberia Colla has 26mm knots and if you want Semogue, there is SOC. The wooden handle smaller Semogues have a handle that is ergonomic for bowl lathering too, but they lack the mass of bristles to build up the mountains of lather that the big brushes can. Or they can build it, with enough product, but you will have to put more effort to the task at the expense of your joints. :302:

The opposites of facelathering. :001_302: Long lofts, big knots. Omega has 27mm knots or if you want something a bit smaller with different handle and softer bristle, there are the more costly of the medium brushes with resin handles, like 81064, 81151 (25x60mm), Zenith has 26mm knots, Antica Barberia Colla has 26mm knots and if you want Semogue, there is SOC. The wooden handle smaller Semogues have a handle that is ergonomic for bowl lathering too, but they lack the mass of bristles to build up the mountains of lather that the big brushes can. Or they can build it, with enough product, but you will have to put more effort to the task at the expense of your joints. :302:

I prefer brushes without the fake banding in the bristles.

I have the Zenith 28x57 copper handle it is a great bowl lathering brush. When I got it I sold my Thater the following week, along with almost all my other Boars, it is that good for me.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I bought it from BullGoose January 23, 2018. I just read that someone else had one that failed purchased from BullGoose January 28, 2018. I wonder if this was a bad batch?

Thats what I'm wondering too. I suspected a bad batch of epoxy and just going by the time of purchase vs failure its pointing to that, but how many times any brush has been used might also be a factor.

Thats what I was thinking. Its like its a bad mix or something and curing too brittle.

I bought it from BullGoose January 23, 2018. I just read that someone else had one that failed purchased from BullGoose January 28, 2018. I wonder if this was a bad batch?

At risk of being accused of antigermanism again, i can't help but wonder... If this was a $5 chinese brush, would you say the the knot splits in half because of "bad epoxy batch" or would you say that it's "junk, i 've never seen a knot split in half before, they have some serious knot construction problem"?

I am sorry again, i just couldn't resist. Because having a knot come out of the handle, i have seen photos in Amazon, a dime a dozen. But having knots split in half, never before. If the epoxy is the problem, why don't they just fall off, instead of splitting in half?

I must admit I do not own a brush made by this manufacturer, simply because I consider all their products of poor value. Expensive? Yes. Having "soul"? Meh. Lots of gloating and hipe.
One must realize this is not rocket science, when designing such thing. It's a brush, after all.

This is the most expensive boar brush in production today that I know of. In my opinion, the grossly overpriced product didn't get much "soul" by having the current price tag, nor by being advertised and sold by the current vendor.
Both failed miserably. The vendor chose to hide behind the fine, or not, print of a contract or agreement.
Yeah, he did everything by the book. I had the same experience during my only deal with them. Never again.

Well, if any of you, proud and happy owners of the most expensive and poorest value brush on the market don't realize yet, there are many of you that own a lemon.

What the manufacturer needs to do, and that is a must, is to identify the cause of defect, change the process to address the issue and segregate the defective batch by date of manufacture. All, and I mean ALL, brushes manufactured during that time, before the introduction of the improved process, should be replaced at their expense. I believe the manufacturer already admitted an issue in their process and they should replace all brushes sold, regardless if the brushes failed or not.

...All these defects are kind of a chemical reaction of the glue we use...
Harald Schuldes

If you think you are lucky your brush is fine, think again. What if it fails two years after purchase, with occasional or moderate use? Are you going back to vendor or manufacturer and claim this was a defective brush?

The OP did us a favor and I thank him for taking the time to post this.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If this was a $5 chinese brush, would you say the the knot splits in half because of "bad epoxy batch" or would you say that it's "junk

Agreed! A good product or bad product shouldn't have the review swayed by the country of origin. However, after sales support should factor in too. From what we've seen so far, the customer service offered no apology, just an accusatory tone. They have a long way to go to make up for the failings of their product and initial customer contact, but the story isn't over yet.

Agreed! A good product or bad product shouldn't have the review swayed by the country of origin. However, after sales support should factor in too. From what we've seen so far, the customer service offered no apology, just an accusatory tone. They have a long way to go to make up for the failings of their product and initial customer contact, but the story isn't over yet.

Actually, i don't know how many Americans are familiar with chinese customer service (i have a feeling most Americans simply don't mind spending more to avoid any chinese brands and in many cases they are right to do so), but every single chinese vendor on Amazon, is phenomenal in rapidity to give you refund, at the slightest complaint. If you address them before doing the Amazon refund routine (send it back, get the refund), they usually tell you "keep it and we refund you too". As for brushes, before buying Yaqi, i have gone though a long italian forum thread. There were cases of brushes with too high glue. In all cases, the Aliexpress vendor (Chen), spontaneously sent new brush free of charge and they kept the defective one too.

Top Bottom