What's new

Thater 3-Band

I have another Thater coming. I have both the 4125/1 and 2 sizes in 2-Band. I just ordered the 4125/0 in three band silvertip, I've been enjoying smaller brushes lately. I have the Simpsons Classic 1 in both best badger and 2-band silvertip. I'm wondering anyone else has experience with the Thater 3-band silvertip, and how much difference I might feel between the 2 and 3 band silvertips?

I had a 4292/4 (23mm) in three band silvertip. It was a great brush. It's softer with less backbone compared to two band. Hardly any scrub. Three band silvertip is my favorite hair. I wound up selling the Thater since I had a nearly identical Shavemac. Otherwise, it would still be with me. Whipped up great lather from anything.

I thought there would be more input on Thater brushes. I’m a little surprised they don’t get more attention. 🤔

I thought there would be more input on Thater brushes. I’m a little surprised they don’t get more attention. 🤔

Agreed. They are fantastic brushes. Maybe it's the lack of variety or lack of retail presence. I'd buy another if there were a few more handle shapes or colors.

There’s an interesting video on the Thater website of Thater’s brush maker at work making the knot. It sure is an art! Brad Maggard told me about visiting Thater’s, he said they are a very small mom & pop run operation.
In my opinion their brushes are top of the line in materials and quality!

There’s a lot of difference between the two and three band. The two is much springier.

This forum seems to be a lot about Shavemac which is pretty similar to Thater which I prefer for silvertip and 2band. I especially like Thaters “rounded fan”. For me Shavemac is all about the DO1.

Well the Thater 3-band silvertip in the bulb knot arrived, and after using it a few times I’m very happy. Very nice soft tips with good backbone. 22 mm knot is perfect for me!

Well the Thater 3-band silvertip in the bulb knot arrived, and after using it a few times I’m very happy. Very nice soft tips with good backbone. 22 mm knot is perfect for me!

How is it compared to the Classic 1? I’ve had bad luck with Simpsons, but a Classic 1 seems ideal.

How is it compared to the Classic 1? I’ve had bad luck with Simpsons, but a Classic 1 seems ideal.

I’ve used the Thater 3-band silvertip three times now, so I’ll try to answer your question. To me there is no comparison at all. The Thater Silvertip is much softer with less backbone than the Simpsons Classic 1 in best. The Classic has more perceived backbone even though the knots are more of a rounded fan. The Classic 1 in 2-band silvertip has much more backbone, but not quite the gel tips of the 3-band Thater. Also, even though the Thater is supposed to be a 22mm knot, it’s nearly 24mm. All my Thater’s have about 2mm larger knot than listed. My Thater 3-band silvertip is as soft as my Chubby 1 in super. I thought the Thater bulb knot would provide more backbone than the Simpsons Classic, but the shorter lofted Classic has more. If you want softness, the Thater is cheaper than the Simpsons Chubby 1 Super, if you want more backbone both of my Classic 1s have more. The Classic 1 2-band limited edition is my favorite of the three. If I knew the Thater was as soft as my Chubby 1 Super, I would have waited and purchased it in 2-band silvertip. Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps!

I have a Thater 49125/0 (22mm 3 band in Plexi handle). It's my softest brush, but I tend to use it more with a softer soap like Plague Doctor. For my harder soaps (DRH), I prefer my Thater 2-bands (4125/1 and 4125/2). All 3 of my Thater's are bulb knots, so I recommend going up a size over what you think you might like.

I have a Thater 49125/0 (22mm 3 band in Plexi handle). It's my softest brush, but I tend to use it more with a softer soap like Plague Doctor. For my harder soaps (DRH), I prefer my Thater 2-bands (4125/1 and 4125/2). All 3 of my Thater's are bulb knots, so I recommend going up a size over what you think you might like.

I have those same brushes! But my size 0 has the black octagonal handle instead of the plexiglas. I agree about the 2-bands being better soap brushes. I’m sure the 3-band will do just fine, but it’s so soft that it seems made for creams. Other than the bulb knot it feels a lot like my Chubby 1 super, probably softer if anything.

I’m sure the 3-band will do just fine, but it’s so soft that it seems made for creams.

My 22mm 3-band Thater would probably be great with creams, but I haven't used a cream in years. I used my /O-3band today to lather the broken bits in the bottom of my tub of SRD West Indies Bay, and it lathered this soap just fine. Using this brush I might be able to squeeze 2 more shaves from this discontinued soap. Sadly, that will leave me with less than 1/2 tub of SRD Opus X. SRD was one of the best soaps I ever used. Easy to lather, with no face irritation on my old mug. I can't believe someone didn't put WIB and Opus X out under another name.

I own a THÄTER 4125/00 silvertip 3-band, that's the smallest knot THÄTER makes I think, 22/49 mm knot. It's a fantastic face latherer, the voluminous bulb knot gives the knot a surprisingly "big" feel for its size. If I was to pick just one favourite brush out of my entire collection, this brush would be a strong candidate. There are not many THÄTER retailers in Europe either, and they are expensive brushes, but quality is superior ... I would be tempted to get another 4125/00 just for backup, or perhaps an 4125/0 as well (next size up) if it wasn't for the price tag.

PS: all I use with this brush is soaps, no creams. Mostly sticks like Arko and Tabac, occasionally pucks like Mitchell's Wool Fat and KLAR. No prop at all -- and I like using lots of product, I mostly reload for 2nd pass anyway
sotd-arko-thater.jpg

Last edited:
I have 3 Thaeter brushes, two 3-band and one 2 band. The 3-band are different shapes. One is the special Thaeter bulb, kind of "pointy" round, the other is a fan. The fan is borderline of being floppy but still ok. Both are very soft. The 2-band is a class of it's own, or with up there with cream of the crop of brushes. Great backbone, soft tips and a wall of badger. I am not sure about the exact number code ... I never got their "system" without checking my old order history :001_rolle

Top Bottom