What's new

Thater 2 Band Silvertip 28mm

Can someone describe the scritch if this brush. I recently acquired an Epsilon 2 band but it seems to just wreck my face. Not sure if the knot, but it lathers like a champ so I’m looking to see if there are any softer 2 band brushes out there.

Thäter seems to have different grades of 2-band silvertip. I purchased one that was called simply "2-band Silvertip" that was less expensive than others, though it looked the same. It is a nice brush but has a bit of skritch. I purchased another called "finest 2-band Silvertip" that was a bit more expensive but it's like shaving with a cloud. It's the softest brush I have. Thäter is very good at combining density and loft to make the most out of the hair's softness and provide great flow-through. If you want greater backbone get a bulb. If you want more of a cloud-like feel, get a fan. IMHO you can't go wrong with either.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll defi be getting a bulb. I’m just curious how it might stack up to a Chubby 2 in Super or even a Manchurian. So many question, so many brushes to try and so little time ha.

Can someone describe the scritch if this brush. I recently acquired an Epsilon 2 band but it seems to just wreck my face. Not sure if the knot, but it lathers like a champ so I’m looking to see if there are any softer 2 band brushes out there.
Thanks for the reply, I’ll defi be getting a bulb. I’m just curious how it might stack up to a Chubby 2 in Super or even a Manchurian. So many question, so many brushes to try and so little time ha.

When you say the Epsilon 2 band "wrecks you face", what do you mean? I'm only asking because mine has fairly soft tips, but it has a massive amount of backbone due to the low loft/high density. If you are mashing the brush to your face in an attempt to try to get it to splay, it isn't going to feel very comfy. You need to concentrate on just using the tips of the brush to lather. If there is too much soap or water in the base of the knot, just squeeze it out.

2 band Badgers are so dang expensive because they have soft tips with good backbone. If you are mashing the brush to your face, you aren't actually feeling the soft tips anymore.

With regards to the Thater 2 band hair, the Epsilon 2 band is a better badger knot imo, it's just lofted way too low.

If you are looking for budget two band brushes, I highly recommend Elite Razors Manchurian White, Sapponificio Varesino V2.0 Manchurian, Shavemac 2 band silvertip, and Romera Manchurian (in that order) The Elite Razor/Romera will be your cheapest options, but I don't like Romera's customer service or the wait time for him to produce a brush.

Finally, I would knot buy a bulb knot if you are sensitive to brush tips as the point of the bulb accentuates feel of the tips, especially with the exaggerated bulb that Thater uses. You'd be better served by a hybrid or fan knot.

Hope this helps.

paintflinger thanks for the information. I used the Eplison 2 band twice with DR Harris Windso and by wreck I mean it felt like it was scraping the skin off. I was mashing the brush in so maybe that was my problem. I might give it another run today since it’s the weekend to see how it goes. I love the backbone as it makes lather like crazy, that I’ve never experienced but it seems so harsh. I’ve heard the Thater would be super soft, but have no firsthand experience.

Yeah, I think you'll feel a little better using just the tips. Paintbrush strokes (side to side, up/down) rather than circles are also good to help soften the feel of the brush on the face and just use the tips.

The Thäter fan is indeed a soft brush; it's like shaving with a cloud. That softness comes at the expense of backbone, and so does well with a light touch. If you are one who likes to bear down on the brush, you may not like it so much.

Yeah, I think you'll feel a little better using just the tips. Paintbrush strokes (side to side, up/down) rather than circles are also good to help soften the feel of the brush on the face and just use the tips.

+1! This! Precisely my approach to using a quality badger.

I used to like brushes with some scritch but not anymore. My favorite brush is a Thater 4125/2 2-band finest silvertip bulb. I also have a Thater 4125/1 2-band finest silvertip bulb. Both are great for face-lathering hard soaps and neither has any scritch.

i have been happily using the same brush for a few years...recently i dropped the brush on the bathroom floor and chipped the handle. i hate when my stuff is less than perfect so i decided to buy a new brush...it arrived today and i have it soaking now.

i received a Thater ivory beehive silvertip bulb from bullgoose.

hope i like it!

I have a Thater 4125-2 2 band silvertip and it’s one of my favorites for face or bowl. No scritch at all. It’s also packed very dense, and it’s a beautiful brush

i used the thater brush a few times and after using the same brush for many years i can see the differences. i guess the vie long beehive brush i have used was very soft (similar to the softness of the savile row i once owned and the shavemac regular silvertip). the thater is soft but has a firm face feel when pressed against my cheek and at first i didnt think i liked it but now i realize i do like it.

another nice feature of the thater vs other brushes i have used is that the bulb shape holds its shape really well aftre being used... no stray hairs, no shedding and even after being soaked in water, the shape still holds nicely.

my prior brushes only got back to shape after i left them in a travel tube for a little bit.

Top Bottom