What's new

That Windsor feeling! My journey with the Windsor from Above The Tie.

Pls tell me you like Feather blades, too!

Hey Dave, nice to meet you here! 🌞

Feather blades, they have been my favourites for many years. In all razors. However with the arrival of my Windsor I thought I should evaluate my choice of blades anew and the Perma Sharp has replaced the Feather for me. The PS offers a similar sharp edge while holding the sharpness longer and keeping it's feel for days.
The other favourite of mine is the Gillette Silver Blue. It's just ever so slightly less sharp but so lovingly smooth and very solid. I can easily 4-5 days of continuous excellent shaves with the GSB and it's still not done yet.

We seems to be sharing yet another passion - the love for SV Opuntia.

View attachment 1280044

Oh yeah! SV soaps are a new great love over here. Stunning material! I have written a bit in my previous posting about them.

Now @TexOkie Shaver and I have another Kouros-brother! 😊

Ah, a connoiseur! 🕶

Then you will surely like this: Here's my Windsor SSR1 on a 1991 Parfums Corp splash bottle of Kouros, like the one in the picture you had quoted.
This is from the second Kouros era and the formula is that identical to the original from 1981 that a reformulation is higly doubted at all. The depth, richness and luminance of the ingredients not allowed nowadays is thermonuclear. This is pure and finest hardcore and will instantly TKO anyone used to modern formulas.
In the background you can see my back up bottles of this edition. The Kouros flacon to the right is from the PPR-Gucci Era, the fourth edition of Kouros. It's from 2004 and it's the last Kouros incarnation that satisfies the lovers of the true Kouros, still very strong with the essential character and great power. No comparison to the current Kouros since L'Oréal has taken over YSL and has introduced 'Kouros light' as I call it. I also have these but they only serve as an after shave until they last on days I plan to go real Kouros later on.

Cheers! 🍻

--

The Windsor SSR1 meets Kouros:

210613_14395-Above-The-Tie-Windsor-SSR1.jpg

Last edited:
This is a superb thread, and some outstanding photography.

My first premium razor - back in 2013 - was an ATT with Kronos handle and R plate. At the time it was the thing to have and it was certainly a superior performing razor (and still is). Anyway, reading this thread inspired me to buy a Windsor and update my acquaintance with the brand. I got one of the Windsor 5-piece copper-plated steel sets with bamboo handle, MR and RH plates, and inkwell stand. I must say it provides an excellent shave and it’s as good a razor as anything on the market - efficient, comfortable, well-balanced, a pleasure to use. I feel the copper plating also adds some extra smoothness to the shave and I am sure it will patina beautifully. Very pleased I bought it.

C29B98BA-1ADF-4D7D-99CF-A7367EEEB6DE.jpeg

AD9DCDD7-A69D-416D-B02C-D8C27EA8275E.jpeg

Last edited:

My first premium razor - back in 2013 - was an ATT with Kronos handle and R plate. At the time it was the thing to have and it was certainly a superior performing razor (and still is). Anyway, reading this thread inspired me to buy a Windsor and update my acquaintance with the brand. I got one of the Windsor 5-piece copper-plated steel sets with bamboo handle, MR and RH plates, and inkwell stand. I must say it provides an excellent shave and it’s as good a razor as anything on the market - efficient, comfortable, well-balanced, a pleasure to use. I feel the copper plating also adds some extra smoothness to the shave and I am sure it will patina beautifully. Very pleased I bought it.

View attachment 1368646

View attachment 1368658
Congratulations. It is exceptional

The Windsor Open Comb plate are up for preorder. I ordered an one, has anyone else bought? Im hoping for some smooth efficiency out of this one.

The SSPro is an excellent razor, My brother shaves on a daily basis exclusively with R41, he was very impressed with SSPro and got one.
I haven’t skipped to the end of this thread, as I wanted to read through from the beginning, but is there a reason I don’t see the SS Windsor Pro on their site for sale? I bought the Slant open comb version, and added the black aluminum Windsor Pro.

View attachment 1368646

View attachment 1368658
ATT has me confused. When I was looking on my second order with them to buy base plates, I see the copper plates say discontinued, but they are still selling the Copper 5 piece sets. I’d like to get a copper heavy CH1 plate but looks like I’ll have to source the used market for that. I also bought a copper Windsor on B&B BST but it has the CR1 regular plate, and knowing me I’d prefer the most aggressive plate.

Ps. Did they ever make the copper plates in open comb as I tend to prefer to buy open comb if that is an option.

I have a couple questions. I have the ATTR1.

How does that base plate compared to the Windsor or Windsor Pro?

Can you just buy a Windsor base plate and use it with the ATT top cap and get the same shave or is the cap Also different?

ATT has me confused. When I was looking on my second order with them to buy base plates, I see the copper plates say discontinued, but they are still selling the Copper 5 piece sets. I’d like to get a copper heavy CH1 plate but looks like I’ll have to source the used market for that. I also bought a copper Windsor on B&B BST but it has the CR1 regular plate, and knowing me I’d prefer the most aggressive plate.

Ps. Did they ever make the copper plates in open comb as I tend to prefer to buy open comb if that is an option.
The 5-piece set is not copper. It is stainless steel with copper plating. I don’t think ATT produce copper razors any more, but they do offer razors with various platings. So if you just want the feel and look of copper then you may be able to get what you want. But if you want the weight and permanence of solid copper, you need to search the second hand market.

The 5-piece set is not copper. It is stainless steel with copper plating. I don’t think ATT produce copper razors any more, but they do offer razors with various platings. So if you just want the feel and look of copper then you may be able to get what you want. But if you want the weight and permanence of solid copper, you need to search the second hand market.
Well good thing i didn’t ever purchase that thinking it is solid copper. I must have missed that it was only Copper plated. Yeah I already have WTB posting for the CH1 copper plate.

I haven’t skipped to the end of this thread, as I wanted to read through from the beginning, but is there a reason I don’t see the SS Windsor Pro on their site for sale? I bought the Slant open comb version, and added the black aluminum Windsor Pro.
The Windsor Pro line was/is manufactured in China. The Pro was offered at a reduced price but frankly it is an excellent razor. The Windsor which is made in the USA has tighter measurements top notch. Although ATT tried to reduce prices for customers by manufacturing in China (witch many do Apple…..) they made sure the Pro is of high quality.
It seems they finished their first batch of SSPRO, no idea if they will bring it back.
Take care and a blessed Sunday

The Windsor Pro line was/is manufactured in China. The Pro was offered at a reduced price but frankly it is an excellent razor. The Windsor which is made in the USA has tighter measurements top notch. Although ATT tried to reduce prices for customers by manufacturing in China (witch many do Apple…..) they made sure the Pro is of high quality.
It seems they finished their first batch of SSPRO, no idea if they will bring it back.
Take care and a blessed Sunday
So their first batch is done but they are just leaving people hanging in the balance? This in itself seems odd especially since they announced expanding the Windsor Pro with open comb plates and other options. The idea there is no mention of the Windsor Pro on the website (speculating here) tells me they lost confidence in the experiment of manufacturing in China. It will be a sad day when you’ll be able to buy ATT razors on Ali baba with all the other Chinese junk.

So their first batch is done but they are just leaving people hanging in the balance? This in itself seems odd especially since they announced expanding the Windsor Pro with open comb plates and other options. The idea there is no mention of the Windsor Pro on the website (speculating here) tells me they lost confidence in the experiment of manufacturing in China. It will be a sad day when you’ll be able to buy ATT razors on Ali baba with all the other Chinese junk.
As you mentioned, they announced items to be introduced, and the recently introduced items are made in USA. Products produced in USA or any other country have their Pro's and Con's in their own respect. For me, I prefer the ATT produced in the USA but could not miss on the Pro for its price point. I hope not to see ATT razors offered on Ali Baba and do not think they will be.
Take care and happy shaves.

Top Bottom