What's new

That legendary Sheffield smoothness...

I've been dabbling in a few different types of razors since I started: German, American, and Swedish steel, with some TI c135 thrown in too. All except the TI were full hollow ground (the TI was a half hollow).

I've heard many times over that sheffield razors are smoooooth, and I'm definitely intrigued. However, I've found myself wondering something. It seems the vast majority of sheffield razors are wedge or near wedge (even the "full hollow" ones seem to be rather wedgy), and now I'm wondering whether it's the grind that contributes to that smooth feeling or the steel.

I only ask because I'd like to feel that legendary sheffield smoothness, but want to know whether that's more a function of the heavy grind or not, as I didn't like the stiffness of the c135 (or who knows, maybe I just didn't like the c135 steel, in which case this question is rather flawed).

Long story short, who's tried the more hollow ground sheffield razors (I've noticed a few extra hollow ground W&B's, but perhaps there are others that I just haven't seen yet), and can you tell me whether that sheffield smoothness is still there, or do you really need a sheffield wedge to get that feeling? And in that case, will any wedge do?

Or am I completely off the mark here? :lol:

I have a full hollow W&B for barbers use and it is a very smooth shaver. Nothing like a wedge but it is smooth, I think any wedge you get that is properly honed will be silent and smooth.

I have a full hallow 6/8 TI in C135 and it is one of my favorite shavers.

$DSC_0069a.jpg

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got some wedge, half, full and extra hollow Sheffields. All great shavers and very smooth yes! Tomorrow, I'm taking out my Wade and Butcher Full Hollow, one of my best shavers. Are they worth it? I would say yes. I prefer Japanese (western style), French and Swedish razors but, Sheffields are worth it!

IMO it's all about the edge you can put on a razor. A razors origin of manufacturer and grind is less important than the ability to hone it properly. Sheffield hollow ginds are nice but no better than German, American or any other razor.

Ya beat me to it Doc.

good thoughts all. So far I'm not too impressed by my American items but am still trying them. I love my Evide Sonnant TI 69 and my German's.

I have one Sheffield that is almost ready to play with. We'll see soon. It seems softer steel and easy to hone.

I think that it's the weight. I find that I'm drawn more to a heavier feel in the hand. My TI has a nice balance to it. Hones great. The Sheffield is soft and easy to hone. It takes a crazy edge. I am playing on some hobby items and will be fixing up a W&B 5/8 with bone scales that I found dirt cheap. The name is very faint with dirt and I don't think the owner new what they were selling. They were happy so I'm happy.

Oh, the Mayflower is a wedge also.

That's the thing, I'm quite happy with my current 3 razors (yes I've actually kept a cap and rotated out the razors I wasn't happy with). I've got a 5/8 robeson suredge, 13/16 Hairop (japanese western style), and 13/16 tanifuji cape (another japanese western that I just received last week!). I've honed all of them on either a la verte coticule or a nakayama asagi, and I'm very happy with my shaves. They're nice and smooth and sharp, but I keep thinking "gosh, I bet I could get something even smoother"

Perhaps it's time for another good honing session to see if I'm missing anything there. Every time I try to compare my honing to earlier attempts I realize I'm getting better results, so I'm guessing I haven't reached the pinnacle there. Of course if I come across a nice sheffield at a good price I might have to give it a shot, just to make sure...

I imagine I have had a couple dozen straights I have bought, used and rotated. I think I have a very average beard but am always drawn to the weight of a wedge or near wedge. Using an extra hollow ground where the blade really sings as it is used I do not care for. They just don’t have the momentum that a heavier blade has. Gimme the heft!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
What does smoother mean to you? Just curious as some equate a very keen edge with harshness, and a less keen edge as smooth.

i personally rather like American razors. they are just right IMO. i also like other razor makers English, French, German, Spanish, & Swedish. i own & use them regularly. i have not met many vintage razors i do not like. i guess that is just me.

I can't really choose from which country I prefer the razor. They're all pretty even to me smoothness-wise.

The W&B I have is smooth, but being a wedge it glides better probably because of its weight and heft.

What does smoother mean to you? Just curious as some equate a very keen edge with harshness, and a less keen edge as smooth.

I like edges that will slide through hair without feeling like they're going to cut me as soon as I put them to my face. I like it when I get something that feels like a butter knife running across my skin. I've been able to get pretty close to that feeling recently with the blades mentioned above, but I guess I was just curious what the hubbub was about those sheffield choppers.

If it's more a matter of grind/heft and honing than the softer steel, then I guess I don't have as much of an urge to look at sheffield razors specifically. Perhaps I just need to try out some less expensive heavy grind options in order to satisfy my curiosity.

All Sheffield steel razors are junk. As part of the heat treating process, they quenched the blades in molten lead. How safe can that be to put on your skin?
Shaving with them is like dragging rusty nails across your face. The scales, for the most part, are made of horn, which is composed mostly of a material that in composition, structurally is alot like hair. Can't you get anthrax from that?
All and all they are truly a waste of time and money.
I would suggest some of those fine and inexpensive Pakistani blades that are available on Ebay.
If you have already been taken in by all the Sheffield hype, you can send them to me for a safe and proper disposal.:001_rolle

Lol

all sheffield steel razors are junk. As part of the heat treating process, they quenched the blades in molten lead. How safe can that be to put on your skin?
Shaving with them is like dragging rusty nails across your face. The scales, for the most part, are made of horn, which is composed mostly of a material that in composition, structurally is alot like hair. Can't you get anthrax from that?
I would suggest some of those fine and inexpensive pakistani blades that are available on ebay.
If you have already been taken in by all the sheffield hype, you can send them to me for a safe and proper disposal.:001_rolle

All Sheffield steel razors are junk. As part of the heat treating process, they quenched the blades in molten lead. How safe can that be to put on your skin?
I would suggest some of those fine and inexpensive Pakistani blades that are available on Ebay.
If you have already been taken in by all the Sheffield hype, you can send them to me for a safe and proper disposal.:001_rolle

If ya get overloaded, I'll help ya out with storage of that hazardous waste.

THAT being said, I like the Sheffield stuff. I LOVE the wedges, but I have a KROPP 6/8 full hollow that is a smooth shaving razor. I also have a Clauss 5/8 square point that will shave just as smooth.

I prefer the heavier blades.

Even though they shave nicely, I'm not fond of the full hollows because of the noise. I wear hearing aids to offset high frequency hearing loss (Thank you Uncle Sam) and they really amplify the pinging noise of those full hollows. If I take my hearing aids off or turn them off, my wife accuses me of TUNING HER OUT.

Little does she know. ;)

Top Bottom