What's new

That awkward moment between strangers

Not sure what's in the air, but I've had some really awkward moments with strangers these last few months. There has been 2 incidents that really stand out in my recent memory.

First one was back in May. It was after work and I was having dinner by myself at my favorite local Vietnamese restaurant. I go there so often, they generally know what I want without me having to order and when it's empty I just sit down without waiting to be seated.

It's a normal day, I walk through the door, sit down at my usual table. As I'm surfing on my phone, someone sits down across the table from me. My head is still down, when I hear a female voice say "hey sexy, did you wait long?" It's at that moment the girl looks up from her purse, and I look up from my phone. I'm looking at her thinking "who is this person?" and I can see she is processing the "oh **** I'm sitting at the wrong table with the wrong guy. It's probably been a good 20 seconds of just silence and staring at each other when the waitress comes up and says "She's not your girlfriend and He's not your boyfriend" At that point the only thing I can think of to say is "uhhh awkwardddddd, but hi I'm Boris and I think your boyfriend is the guy waving frantically behind you two tables down" She laughs awkwardly and apologizes and runs off.

The second time was in June. I was off early and was out picking up some burritos for dinner for me and the girlfriend. I get my order and am off to the salsa bar to fill a couple of those little plastic containers up with salsa, onions, cilantro, and other burrito toppings.

Here's where it gets weird. A well dressed man around the same age as me is standing next to me. So I didn't think about it, I just reached over and grabbed a couple of the plastic containers since i was between him and them. I then try to hand them over to him. He then gives me this awkward look like he was stuck. He didn't accept the containers from me. It was at that moment I realize he didn't want them because I touched them. But at this point we are staring at each other. I'm standing there thinking "crap I'm pretty sure this guy doesn't want it because I touched it. I can see him thinking "crap how do i reject this without being rude." We stand there caught in that awkward limbo for 10 seconds but it seems drastically longer then that. I didn't know what to do, and the only thing I could come up with was to slowly un-extend my hand and just put the empty container in my pocket.

The man finally says, "I'm sorry, If my wife was here she would have yelled at me for being an *******." I laughed and just said "its ok, If my girlfriend was here she would have yelled at me for being unsanitary."

The thing is, in both times even though it was my first time ever seeing these strangers, we could both tell exactly what the other person was thinking in those awkward moments.

So have any of you guys had any of these awkward encounters lately? or am i just odd?

Interesting stories. Was the girl good looking ? That was awkward.

I can't think of any right now but I will post if I remember

Interesting stories. Was the girl good looking ? That was awkward.

I can't think of any right now but I will post if I remember

ya she was pretty cute...too bad neither of us were single (assuming the other guy was her boyfriend)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hilarious!

I'm typically that guy that makes normal situations awkward just for personal amusement. I don't get embarrassed easily.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I was on a date once with a good friend of mine. Friend date. The waiter comes to take our order, takes her's first while I'm still trying to decide. I'm staring at the menu and I finally order a steak. The waiter says "pink or no pink". I slowly look up from the menu directly at my friend, then **** my head to the side to the waiter and say with a raised eyebrow "always pink". I hear her say "oh my god" under her breath.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
@ Toothpick

She didn't say anything after the waiter left?
Nah we laughed. I always do silly things like that around her just to embarrass her.

Like sitting in a movie theater she leans over and whispers something to me I shout "WHAT?". Having heard every word she said too. Silence ensues.

I was on a date once with a good friend of mine. Friend date. The waiter comes to take our order, takes her's first while I'm still trying to decide. I'm staring at the menu and I finally order a steak. The waiter says "pink or no pink". I slowly look up from the menu directly at my friend, then **** my head to the side to the waiter and say with a raised eyebrow "always pink". I hear her say "oh my god" under her breath.
Fast on your feet, eh? Sounds like something I'd have said back in the day.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Not sure what's in the air, but I've had some really awkward moments with strangers these last few months. There has been 2 incidents that really stand out in my recent memory.

First one was back in May. It was after work and I was having dinner by myself at my favorite local Vietnamese restaurant. I go there so often, they generally know what I want without me having to order and when it's empty I just sit down without waiting to be seated.

It's a normal day, I walk through the door, sit down at my usual table. As I'm surfing on my phone, someone sits down across the table from me. My head is still down, when I hear a female voice say "hey sexy, did you wait long?" It's at that moment the girl looks up from her purse, and I look up from my phone. I'm looking at her thinking "who is this person?" and I can see she is processing the "oh **** I'm sitting at the wrong table with the wrong guy. It's probably been a good 20 seconds of just silence and staring at each other when the waitress comes up and says "She's not your girlfriend and He's not your boyfriend" At that point the only thing I can think of to say is "uhhh awkwardddddd, but hi I'm Boris and I think your boyfriend is the guy waving frantically behind you two tables down" She laughs awkwardly and apologizes and runs off.

The second time was in June. I was off early and was out picking up some burritos for dinner for me and the girlfriend. I get my order and am off to the salsa bar to fill a couple of those little plastic containers up with salsa, onions, cilantro, and other burrito toppings.

Here's where it gets weird. A well dressed man around the same age as me is standing next to me. So I didn't think about it, I just reached over and grabbed a couple of the plastic containers since i was between him and them. I then try to hand them over to him. He then gives me this awkward look like he was stuck. He didn't accept the containers from me. It was at that moment I realize he didn't want them because I touched them. But at this point we are staring at each other. I'm standing there thinking "crap I'm pretty sure this guy doesn't want it because I touched it. I can see him thinking "crap how do i reject this without being rude." We stand there caught in that awkward limbo for 10 seconds but it seems drastically longer then that. I didn't know what to do, and the only thing I could come up with was to slowly un-extend my hand and just put the empty container in my pocket.

The man finally says, "I'm sorry, If my wife was here she would have yelled at me for being an *******." I laughed and just said "its ok, If my girlfriend was here she would have yelled at me for being unsanitary."

The thing is, in both times even though it was my first time ever seeing these strangers, we could both tell exactly what the other person was thinking in those awkward moments.

So have any of you guys had any of these awkward encounters lately? or am i just odd?

You are NOT allowed to put that much custom title material all in one post all at one go.

:letterk2:

Hilarious!

I'm typically that guy that makes normal situations awkward just for personal amusement. I don't get embarrassed easily.

I'm definitely not one to embarrass easily either. But these were just so awkward and I didn't want to come off as a rude jerk. If it was someone I actually knew it would be different though lol.
Boris, is that a new custom title that you've got there? :lol:

You are NOT allowed to put that much custom title material all in one post all at one go.

:letterk2:

apparently it is...i should have known this would happen...:tongue_sm :lol:

When my Granny died it was decided her six grandsons would take her coffin from the service to the waiting hearse. The six of us were instructed by the funeral director to stand beside the hearse and wait for the rest of the family to exit the funeral home (sort of a reception line for the afterlife?).
I'm standing there, tall and straight, looking straight ahead, and whispered to the cousin beside me, "How you doing? Are you holding up okay?", thinking the guy I was whispering to was one of my younger cousins who actually grew up with Granny.
"Why the Hell wouldn't I be okay...what's your (expletive deleted) problem?", was the not so whispered and dismissive reply. I looked over and saw I was standing beside the balding, twice divorced, jack hole older cousin of mine nobody liked.
Great. After ceremonially carrying our beloved Granny to her final ride, I'm stuck beside the biggest loser in the family, and all I'm thinking of is how do I restrain myself from punching out this SOB's face right beside the hearse?
Not exactly a "moment" between "strangers", but this one has stuck in my craw for over thirty years.

Top Bottom