What's new

That ATM

Yup, i used to grab some cash from the atm about 2-3x a year. But i’ve had a fiver in my wallet since jan. I dont even know what i would do with it.

That's hilarious! When it looked like we were going to be shut up in March, I went to the ATM and drew out a couple hundred in cash, just in case. I've tried to use it, but there's still $80 in cash in there today.

None of our accounts are associated with atm. No pin number, no transactions allowed outside of personal contact between us and someone we know at the bank. SWMBO even has online banking disabled on her accounts.

I rarely use the ATM because the ones at my bank dont give out bigger bills than 20's. I dont want a pocketful of small bills....I use a card to make most purchases, but alway carry cash. Theres some person to person transactions where cash is still king.

In 1990, I was dating a girl who's Father was a VP with one of the big banks here in Canada. They were testing a new "Bank Card" that would let you make purchases directly out of your bank account without using cash. There were four retail locations in London Ontario that were set up for the the trial, including a gas station we stopped at so she could show off how it worked.

30 years, and the darn things are ubiquitous.

I used to be able to chew through $500 about every two weeks, lunches, taxis, odd smallish purchase but since "circuit breaker" here, so many places are preferring contactless payments that I rarely use it now. Initially I felt like a berk paying for a $7 sandwich with a card, but everyone is now so when you do pull out cash the cashier doesn't know what to do(!)

There is one taxi company here where the drivers routinely say cash only when you get in - I suppose they think they can fiddle their tax declarations.

It’s been so long since I’ve needed cash, I’m not sure I would recognize which bills are what. I can’t remember the PIN on my ATM.

I always carry a $20 in my wallet for emergencies. And I usually have some cash around the house for food deliveries, quick run to the store for milk, small purchases.
But my CU recently reprogrammed their ATM's to be more "usable", and they are a royal PITA! Can't go into the lobby without an appointment, and now the drive thru is closed. I think they'd just like to be done with cash entirely.

I always carry a $20 in my wallet for emergencies. And I usually have some cash around the house for food deliveries, quick run to the store for milk, small purchases.
But my CU recently reprogrammed their ATM's to be more "usable", and they are a royal PITA! Can't go into the lobby without an appointment, and now the drive thru is closed. I think they'd just like to be done with cash entirely.
The government wants to eliminate cash so we are all on electronic transactions. That puts them one step closer to a one world currency.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The government wants to eliminate cash so we are all on electronic transactions. That puts them one step closer to a one world currency.
I don't think that we will see a "one-world currency" for a loooooong time. We would need a one-world government first. A country's government might like to have a cashless society within their country so that they can better monitor what their citizens are doing.

Fortunately, here in the Philippines, cash is still king. This is mainly because it is so difficult here to open and keep open a personal bank account. Besides all the ID's that you need (that many do not have and nor can they get them) you need an initial deposit of PHP 2,000 (an average week's salary). You must thern maintain a PHP 2,000 minimum balance or face fees of PHP 300 per month. Most do not have that sort of money available to tie up.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I went yesterday. I tend to go once a month, but that might increase in future. I'm trying to move away from digital transactions, particularly online purchases, as I'm sick and tired of all the data harvesting. I avoid stalker (aka social) media for the same reasons.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I go into the bank every Friday and get my play money out over the counter. There is an ATM at the side of the bank. I prefer to use the actual bank tellers. I want my bank branch to remain open. Far to many banks are closing their branches in small towns here in Australia. I very rarely use an ATM.

My wife and I were cashless by choice. We had a derecho (an inland mini hurricane) in August. Our area lost power and internet for 10 days. By a simple fluke I had an envelope of cash to pay a contractor which saved us. I had to drive 45 minutes to find a gas station that had their pumps running on generator but they had no network for credit/debit/atm machines. They only took cash. I was one of the few that could fill up my gas cans for our own generator. Needless to say we have a permanent envelope with cash hidden in the house now.

Top Bottom