What's new

Thanksgiving-Hanukkah PIF

In the spirit of Thanksgiving and Hanukkah:

I give thanks for the miraculous bounty of BadgerAndBlade, its spirit of shared interest in and passion for better living and shaving and shaving products, communal support, sharing, independent, passionate, vivacious yet civil thought and speech, and the faith that if you keep at it and trust in yourself and the community, baby butt smooth shaves and other miracles can happen.

I've learned a lot and benefitted immensely from these values, the community and specific members.

In honor and furtherance of these, I PIF the gifts detailed below, with the theme: Fat of the B&B Land
(fat being a highly esteemed, even sacred thematic ingredient shared by Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, shaving soaps, creams, and many pre-shaves and ***).

These delights have come to me via B&B PIFs and my own acquisitions. But none of them would I have known of, no less how to use, appreciate, and enjoy, had it not been for the spirit of sharing and giving which so permeate B&B. I've tried everything I'm PIFing (where I mention 'unopened' I've tried another unit, otherwise, I've tried the one I'm PIFing), and range in my estimation from good to great.

RULES:
  • Say "I'm in" or something to that effect
  • Offer up a thanksgiving prayer/wish for: B&B, traditional wet shaving, wet shaving products, this PIF, PIFs in general, some experience you've had via this site, something you've learned or discovered here, a particular member, or something. (I guess expression of thanksgiving for something is really the key criteria.)
  • Be reachable by postal service anywhere in the world.
  • By participating in the PIF, you agree not to sell any of this, but to PIF along some of this PIF's contents, along with some new items.
SCHEDULE: I'll announce the PIFee sometime Thanksgiving Day (USA, EST), Thursday, 28 November 2013 / 1st night of Hanukkah 25 Kislev 5774. If you want to make sure you're in, get in by 12:00am that day, although, who knows, I may not decide until 11:59pm... but I wouldn't count on it.

PIF CRITERIA: I will PIF to whichever prayer most moves, delights and inspires -- don't ask me by what criteria, I don't know yet. My style is creative and eclectic. For a sense of it, check out my last PIF, responses, and what inspired me.
Your prayer can be:

• as simple as: Bless this shaving mess!
  • funny, parodic, or satyrical. I'm a fan of Ogden Nash, for instance
  • passionate, earnest expression of the heart
  • in any medium: written, sung/performed/danced and recorded, illustrated.
  • a copy or adaptation of a well known, classic, biblical prayer, or text from any religious or other tradition
  • a secular, atheistic wish, and doesn't have to do with anything religious, or even spiritual
  • in any language, as long as you also provide an English translation.
If the choice confounds, I'll pray for some help in deciding, the fall-back method being a random number generator.

proxy.php

• PIF'd to me by the estimable superkreep via his April Jetson's PIF
    • Yardley Lime Shaving Soap in its original, historic wooden tub. This is the heart of the PIF: historic shaving soap in its original bowl. A seductive shaving heirloom with great lime scent, nice performance and awfully handsome and historic covered wooden bowl. While I'd love to keep it, superkreep was passionate about its continued circulation, and so am I. Keep the PIF flowing.
    • Mystic Water Adirondack Jack soap. Delightful performer.
    • Honeybee Fresh Lemon soap. Nice n lemony.
    • A bar of hyper-aromatic Mysore Sandal Soap from the Mysore sandalwood forest factory in India, intended for bathing and deodorizing. So strong is its aroma, I suspect it could make even a dead skunk smell like it just enjoyed a nice sandalwood bath and shave. Makes a not bad shampoo bar and shaving soap, too. (unopened)
    • Jovan Sex Appeal cologne. Too sexy for me... but on you....
  • Füme Lavender Shaving Soap from Turkey. Performance reminds me of the estimable Arko, but in lavender.
  • Stirling Soap Naked & Smooth puck. I love Stirling soaps: unbeatable value, with some great fragrances. This one has extra lanolin and no scent, naked in all its soapy, fattiness, and I guess is intended to compete with MWF or something like that. After I get a good lather going, I like to sprinkle in a dash of whatever aftershave inspires at the moment.
  • Mitchell's Wool Fat sample. If you've not yet tried MWF, you really should. Tamp the entire sample down at the bottom of a mug in one lump to get as close as you can to actually loading/lathering off a puck, otherwise, the sample crumbles are even harder to lather.
  • Proraso Shaving Cream Green menthol eucalyptus 9.8g (unopened). A classic and a favorite. The best shaving cream deal on the market when you get it on sale from Bath & Body Works as CO Bigelow.
  • Nuka Shaving Cream with Allantoin. Great Russian performer, with a light scent and allantoin, a soothing/healing classic from the herbalist pharmacopoeia.
  • Mamma Bear Soaps Men's Cologne Favorites glycerine soap samples (assorted, in unopened wax-paper wrappers). I just face lathered with one this morning: fantastic face lathering performers, providing a delicious noseful of classic colognes, a few of whose names I can no longer read as the wax paper wrinkled and stuck to the soap.
  • DE Blades
    • BIC Chrome Platinum. Surprisingly friendly.
    • Personna LAB. The nice and easy, everyday DE blade.
    • Gillette 7 O'clock
    • Derby Extra. Beloved of many.
    • Wilkinson Classic. An old standard.
  • AND you never know what other goodies I may be inspired to drop in there as the spirit moves me.
    • ​Shark Super Stainless DE blades (added Monday). Just a bit sharper and toothsome than Astras?

NOTE RE ALCOHOL BASED COLOGNE: I gather sending products containing alcohol via postal service across international borders may not necessarily be permitted. In the event the PIF is awarded to someone where the Jovan can't be mailed: sorry, but that one item gets included in my next CONUS PIF, with special thanks to you.

Last edited:
Please do not include me, but I wanted to say thank you on behalf of our membership for such a generous PIF!

Generous and wonderful idea. I am currently maximally blessed myself so I am notin. My prayer is that the good ol' USA could back on track again. I'll leave it there.

Very nice! I'm in. Let me say that I am thankful for the simple fact of finding this site. I had been talking about learning wet shaving for quite a while now and with my better half giving me the nudge I jumped in beard first. Since then I have been OBSESSED with the art. Everyone here has a wealth of knowledge that I have only just tapped the surface. I pray that B&B, with its members, will continue on and inspire others like it has done for me. Thank you.

I'm in.

I wish to give thanks to my wife who puts up with my shaving mania, the good people of B&B who have inspired, instructed, and comforted me on my journey to truly wonderful shaves, and to all my fellow veterans who have served, (and to those currently serving). My life is truly a blessed one to have such a wonderful SWMBO, and the good people here who never cease to amaze me with how they are generous and so respectful and nice.

I'm in

May the lather of all DE shavers stay slick and cushiony
May the bristles stay attached to their brushes
Let their blades be sharp, smooth and long lasting
Allow them to keep a firm grip and not drop their razors on the floor
May their touch be light and their attention not wander
Permit them not to suffer nicks or irritation
And please keep them all solvent.

I'm in.

My prayers are simple. Thanks to the Lord for all we have. God bless us, everyone. To my atheist or agnostic friends, luck shall find you.

I'm in.

Thanks goes to all these helpful persons here on Badger & Blade!
I'm sure my start as a DE shaver would have been much more painful and frustrating, if I haven't checked this awesome forum first.

May your blades be sharp, always!

Not in but thought I'd share. This was given to me by a friend. It was shared by his Rabbi:

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you for bringing me to
this day; for the gifts of life, health and strength, home, love and friendship,
and for the innumerable blessings which you bestow upon me seemingly without
fail. I am especially grateful for the relationships in my life and ask for your
continuing guidance in an effort to always steward them honestly. Empower me to
improve the quality of life for those less fortunate and as your devoted
student, teach me humility without necessarily bringing me to my knees. I
fervently pray for a time when all people will feel your presence, when
corruption and evil shall give way to purity and goodness and when the natural
rights of all persons are recognized as unalienable. As I remember those who
have gone before me and the blessings of their lives, I sense that they are with
me now. Grant me the courage to look straight into the mirror and the wisdom to
understand that the reflection I see represents the entity most responsible for
making my life a blessing as well. Teach me to pray as if everything depends
upon you and to act as if everything depends upon me! Amen.[/FONT]

Blessings and grace to you all brothers!!

Bill

I am in! Thanks for the generous pif. My prayer in simply to have my wife keep healthy during her pregnancy and give my a healthy baby(crossing fingers for a boy). Also to keep my current daughter healthy and just to be able to continue to pay off current debt and just provide for my family.

I'm in!

And here's a Chanukah prayer.

Blessed are You, Lord our G-d, King of the universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us to kindle the Chanukah light.
Blessed are You, Lord our G-d, King of the universe, who performed miracles for our forefathers in those days, at this time.
Blessed are You, Lord our G-d, King of the universe, who has granted us life, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this occasion.

I'm in, lots of stuff I haven't tried there!

I'm thankful for the generosity and demeanor of the members of this forum. I've been cruising around the Internets since old BBS days in the late 80's and haven't seen any place like it. It's a positive thing that I like to think makes everyone a little happier and nicer.

I'm in.

My prayer: I pray I don't slit my throat and bleed out in my in-laws guest bathroom learning how to use the SE razor my father in law just gave me with the promise of giving my the rest of his no longer used collection of SE and DE razor, brushes, etc if I can do a decent SE shave before we leave Saturday. Hell of an incentive for my first SE shave.

From the Book of First Ouch, chapter 2:

Then Stan-the-man prayed and said:

“My heart rejoices in good shaves;
in the Lord my straight razor is lifted high.
My mouth boasts over my enemies,
for I delight in better shaves than they.
2 “There is no one clean shaven like the Lord;
there is no one besides you;
there is no barber like our God.
3 “Do not keep shaving so badly
or let your face bear so many whiskers,
for the Lord is a God who shaves,
and by him soaps are lathered.
4 “The cartridges of the warriors are multibladed,
but those who find Badger and Blade are armed with DEs, SEs, and Straights.
5 Those who were full must have found the Mess Hall,
but those who were hungry must still be posting in the Clown House.
He who was bearded has shaven,
but he who has had many shaves celebrates Movember.
6 “The Lord brings soaps and aftershaves;
he shaves down with the grain and also against.
7 The Lord sends aftershaves and fragrances;
he splashes and uses balms.
8 He blesses the poor with PIFs
and lifts the cart user from his misery;
he seats them with princes
because they are always Baby Butt Smooth.
“For the foundations of a good shave are the Lord’s;
on them he has built our shave dens.
9 He will guard the faces of his faithful servants,
but the wicked will be silenced and condemned to use electrics.
“It is not by strength that one shaves;
10 those who use too much pressure will be broken.
The Most High will thunder in the flea markets;
the Lord will judge the DFS from the BBS.
“He will give good shaves to his people
and exalt the straight razors of his anointed B&B Members.”

Adapted from First Samuel chapter 2:

Then Hannah prayed and said:

“My heart rejoices in the Lord;
in the Lord my horn[a] is lifted high.
My mouth boasts over my enemies,
for I delight in your deliverance.
2 “There is no one holy like the Lord;
there is no one besides you;
there is no Rock like our God.
3 “Do not keep talking so proudly
or let your mouth speak such arrogance,
for the Lord is a God who knows,
and by him deeds are weighed.
4 “The bows of the warriors are broken,
but those who stumbled are armed with strength.
5 Those who were full hire themselves out for food,
but those who were hungry are hungry no more.
She who was barren has borne seven children,
but she who has had many sons pines away.
6 “The Lord brings death and makes alive;
he brings down to the grave and raises up.
7 The Lord sends poverty and wealth;
he humbles and he exalts.
8 He raises the poor from the dust
and lifts the needy from the ash heap;
he seats them with princes
and has them inherit a throne of honor.
“For the foundations of the earth are the Lord’s;
on them he has set the world.
9 He will guard the feet of his faithful servants,
but the wicked will be silenced in the place of darkness.
“It is not by strength that one prevails;
10 those who oppose the Lord will be broken.
The Most High will thunder from heaven;
the Lord will judge the ends of the earth.
“He will give strength to his king
and exalt the horn of his anointed.”

I'm in.

Father, at this time of Thanksgiving we give you thanks for your many blessings to us. In particular we wish to thank you for this place of fellowship at Badger and Blade, for the generosity of members displayed in PIFs, in the charity auction and other random acts of kindness. Thanks for the camraderie and welcoming spirit found here for newcomers to our hobby and the wealth of information to be found here for those willing to seek it. We ask your blessings upon this community and its members in the upcoming year. Amen.

I'm in.

A prayer of thanks for all the help I've received here in my shaving journey. Thank you for all the beautiful badgers who have given their hair for my brushes, And thanks to all the moderators and those who run this website. May the gods of all things sharp keep your blades honed. May the gods of all things whipped, keep your lather slick. And may the gods of skin keep your shaves irritatin free.

Top Bottom