What's new

Thanksgiving 2022

shavefan

I’m not a fan
We haven't even planned it yet, beyond staying local, not visiting family out of town. When my wife gets back from Ireland later this week we'll discuss it. Stay tuned...

Same as every year, I will fry about a 1/2 dozen turkeys. We usually have a pretty big bash at Thanksgiving at the church.

11270002.JPG

Can't wait to try out my Char-Broil Big Easy oil-less fryer. I picked it up last night. I've fried turkeys before with peanut oil & all that, but this thing looks like a no-brainer. Giving it a go with some chickens tonight or tomorrow, & pending the outcome, I plan on doing turkey in it this year.

Standard turkey, stuffing made from milk crackers(good luck finding those), egg,celery, onion, cooked breakfast sausage.
Cold cranberry sauce, and prob an apple pie, and some gravy for hot turkey sandwiches w gravy for leftovers.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Going to Fredericksburg Thanksgiving eve, and leaving Sunday. We will keep it simple- turkey breast, loaded cauliflower, and my wife’s dressing (although I won’t be eating as much as I normally would).

Going to Fredericksburg Thanksgiving eve, and leaving Sunday. We will keep it simple- turkey breast, loaded cauliflower, and my wife’s dressing (although I won’t be eating as much as I normally would).
Sounds like our house since my wife and I went Keto. Good plan.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We host Thanksgiving every year at our house. It's our opportunity to bring all those dysfunctional family members together so that we have a greater opportunity to witness psychotic meltdowns induced by too much alcohol consumption, followed by lots of yelling and cursing. You know. Really setting a great example of the kids. Anyway, my wife has perfected the art of cooking a turkey in the oven. I don't much like turkey but I really like hers. Nice and moist and great flavor. The dark meat is the best. We have fried turkeys in the past but went back to the oven for some reason that I cannot recall. Now for the accompaniments. To start, I'm responsible for the appetizers/hors d'oeuvres. I've been doing cheeses for the past few years. I get large blocks of some amazing cheeses and try to get different kinds. So, a mix of cow, sheep and goat. I usually have some aged Manchego, Midnight Moon, a soft french cheese, a strong blue cheese like Stilton and something else. I think this year I'll make that fifth cheese something infused with truffles. I get a bunch of different crackers to go with it. Cashews and almonds. Some green and red grapes, sections of mandarins, kumquats, dates, figs. And I'll get some good salami, both mild and spicy.

My contribution for dinner is going to be brussels sprouts. I'll make them using a balsamic glaze that has some brown sugar in it and they'll be roasted. My wife makes an amazing cranberry sauce that uses both fresh and dried cranberries and some port wine. It's absolutely the best cranberry sauce I've ever tasted. My sister in law brings her famous stuffed mushrooms. My mother will do a salad. My wife is trying a new stuffing made in a pan this year. My sister in law usually makes a sweet potato thing but she won't be here this year so now that I think about it, I'll have to make one. One year I remember having a baked sweet potato dish that had corn flakes drizzled with some kind of sweet syrup or glaze. I'm going to have to find that one. It was delicious.

Of course the wine will be flowing. I usually find some nice reds to go with dinner. My wife and I have a great bar. Even though we aren't alcoholics, we probably have more different spirits than many real bars do. I always have Lagavulin 16 on hand and now I also have the 8. Clyde May's Bourbon or Alabama Whiskey, Ketel One, Hendricks Gin...... You name it, we probably have it. And later on we'll break out some after dinner drinks like Sambucca, Drambuie, Port....

I recently came across another real winner of an appetizer/hors d'oeuvres that I won't make for this Thanksgiving but will make for Christmas. Bacon wrapped dates stuffed with a blue cheese (cabrales if I can find it) and drizzled with honey. Last year I made three trays of them and burnt one of them pretty badly. I kept that tray in the back and put the good ones out. When I meandered to the back where I stuck the burnt ones, most of them were gone, having been eaten any way. They are that good.

So, that's basically it but I'm sure I'm missing several things. The only thing that gets us through the day is everyone's agreement not to talk politics. We have some very diverging political positions in the family so if the conversation ever headed in that direction, someone is bound to get hurt. I think the challenge will be that much greater this year for obvious reasons. I remain hopeful.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Our daughter is coming in from Seattle this year for Thanksgiving so I will probably over-cook! Haven't landed on a menu yet since we just got notice yesterday that she was coming.

MntnMan, love your writeup... And, you need to post a couple of those recipes.

Two years in a row we will be heading out of town. Last year was the in-laws and we all made tamales the day before Thanksgiving. This year it will be my sisters house. I'm happy about that, as my brother-in-law is a pretty good cook. I DO NOT like my mother-in-law's turkey or dressing. I will miss the tamales, though.

I prefer when everyone comes to our house, because I really like my turkey. I brine with spices and orange juice. Comes out moist and tasty.

MntnMan, love your writeup... And, you need to post a couple of those recipes.

Two years in a row we will be heading out of town. Last year was the in-laws and we all made tamales the day before Thanksgiving. This year it will be my sisters house. I'm happy about that, as my brother-in-law is a pretty good cook. I DO NOT like my mother-in-law's turkey or dressing. I will miss the tamales, though.

I prefer when everyone comes to our house, because I really like my turkey. I brine with spices and orange juice. Comes out moist and tasty.

I also prefer to host Thanksgiving. That way I can drink as much as I like, if I feel like it. But we also control the menu to some extent. My wife was smart many years ago she told her family that she was "claiming" Thanksgiving as her holiday. And ever since it's been at our house. Last year the widow of one of our dearest friends who used to live two houses away until they moved down south flew up and surprised my wife. I was able to get away with setting an extra setting at the table without her realizing. That was really special.

But there is danger in hosting Thanksgiving. Two years ago both my mother and mother-in-law both came up and stayed at our house...........FOR 10 FREAKING DAYS!!! The two of them drove my wife and I insane, quite literally. It was the worst Thanksgiving either one of us had ever had and we said we would never host Thanksgiving again. As I was just talking about last year, clearly we broke down and stuck to our historical claiming of the holiday. But this time while both my mother and mother-in-law flew up again, my wife said they could only stay for no more than 4 days. That turned out to be 5 (4 nights) but it was ok. It's when you double it that the nightmare begins. This year it will only be my mother. Mother-in-law isn't well enough to travel this year. And my mother is staying the requisite 5 days.

My wife's sister typically does Christmas......except last year their house was a wreck. So what happens? We hosted Christmas as well. For some strange reason, I much prefer to go elsewhere for Christmas, as long as it's close. Or it could be to someplace warm.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My wife and I really don't like turkey, but we tolerate a smoked one. I've smoked them 3 years running...mostly for her family. I prefer a good smoked ham, brisket, ribs or shrimp boil. This year is not a good health year for my wife's mother so we may be spending time in the hospital with her. If that happens I'll be missing my home made dinner rolls the most. I don't eat bread very often any more so I made an exception for the rolls...they are the bomb.
They make the whole house smell like a bakery of love.

20181223_190434.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My wife and I really don't like turkey, but we tolerate a smoked one. I've smoked them 3 years running...mostly for her family. I prefer a good smoked ham, brisket, ribs or shrimp boil. This year is not a good health year for my wife's mother so we may be spending time in the hospital with her. If that happens I'll be missing my home made dinner rolls the most. I don't eat bread very often any more so I made an exception for the rolls...they are the bomb.
They make the whole house smell like a bakery of love.

View attachment 1034933
One of my favorite child hood memories was coming home from school and smelling bread baking in the oven.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
We were supposed to go to sister-in-laws, with daughter-in-law and hubby coming up from Austin and nephew and their family there, but DIL can't come so SIL is going there. Wife bought a whole turkey to cook for that.

I think I'll cut the legs off of the turkey and smoke those, then let SWMBO cook the rest of it in the oven. The sides will be some of the classics...to be announced.

One nice trick is to debone the raw turkey, then stuff it and tie it back together.
It is a lot of work at first, but then there are no issues carving, you get neat slices of turkey and stuffing.

The other bonus is that with the raw bones, rib-cage etc. is that when you roast them with veggies to make stock, the raw bones make a very nice rich stock.

There are many good videos on doing this.
20191009_091604.jpg20191009_130627.jpg20191009_125420.jpg20191009_093351.jpg

Top Bottom