What's new

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the very warm welcome and let me start by saying that you have created an amazing community here on the forums. I found I travelled here more and more and learned so much already from all the advice and experiences I read here.

Let me tell a bit about myself. I'm in my fourties, from the Netherlands but living in Berlin these days where I work as a Software Engineer.

I've had a short beard for several years and shaved both electrically and with cartridges in different periods before that. This spring, with the nice warm weather, I felt like a big change and enjoy the freshness of a great shave again. So I bought a whole bunch of Fusion blades and Gillette Gel. But I hadn't even used a single cartridge when I decided to go DE, with proper soap, a proper brush... Get a real shave!

So I got a Merkur Futur as it is adjustable, Feather blades, an expensive Floris Elite soap and a proper badger brush and I was off. I quickly found I did not like the Futur that much, mainly because of the thick head, heavy weight and long stem; with my cartridge technique I also quickly learned I made better roast-beef than smooth skin that way:S So I've been watching and reading a lot and experimenting to get things right.

I found myself a refurbished Gillette Flathead L2 from 1966 on e-Bay and that was the first big improvement. I love that razor!
Then I found one of those wonderful artisan-style shops here in Berlin (called Soul Objects) that really got me started with supplies and advice. You probably know these kinds of stores where the owners know everything about every product they sell. Nothing to get you more into the shaving-mood than a place like that!

I got a good lather bowl, alum stone, and all kinds of other supplies to have a great setup. I had bought a 200ml Boss Bottled, but after I had bought a balm there, Panama 1924 by Boellis, I think that bottle will go the same route as the Fusion did. I just love that smell so much that I'll be switching to their EdT soon! I want to get one of those old-fashioned atomisers, so if anyone has tips here, don't hold back! I also bought the Panama 1924 soap last week (in the Coffret). What a luxury experience that is compared to the previous soap:) Just wonderful

I'm getting more and more proficient with practice and all the information I found online, especially here. I had some big issues with XTG and ATG and was really pushing too much, with a prep that wasn't working for me. Several people here have been incredible in helping me understand the problems and I'm making massive improvements now. The articles from @Kyle, @DEdestroyer77 and @AimlessWanderer, and the personal advice from the latter two were particularly helpful. Thank you so much guys! I finally start to have really great shaves with no cuts or burn and that wonderful shaving experience I read in so many of your posts and comments.

I look forward to reading and learning a lot more, and I will share my experiences as I'm discovering things.

Thank you all!
Niels

Schoene Gruesse. Ich habe mal in Hamburg gewohnt, aber bin jetzt wieder in den Vereinigte Staaten.
Danke @JTshaves! My German isn't that great yet unfortunately. Working with 2 people from Spain, a Russian and a Japanses does improve my English a lot though:| I've not been to Hamburg yet, but I hear it is a great city from friends!
Looks like you are off to a great start! :a14::a14:
Sure feels like it @BigJ!

@niels, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before your German is outstanding. Though it took me almost a year of living there before I felt really fluent.

I must admit, I'm jealous that you have a shop close to you. Then again, I'm not surprised. Berlin is a great city where one should be able to get just about everything.

@JTshaves, I hope it will as I've been here for more than 2 years now, hehe. I'm fluent enough to have a conversation, but when subjects get specific, I have a lot to improve.

Yeah, a shop like that is great and indeed, Berlin has everything you can, and probably cannot imagine. The shop has an amazing interior with all kinds of refurbished furniture from all over Europe and of course they know where they came from, who owned them and every detail of the refurbishment. Also a lot of art, playing music from vinyl records on a beautiful old record player. Just a perfect little shop you can only find in a place like Berlin.

I enjoyed reading your post. Like you, I did not care for the Futur but I did like the Merkur Progress.

I enjoyed reading your post. Like you, I did not care for the Futur but I did like the Merkur Progress.
Yeah, the Progress would be more my type of razor as well: Thin/flat head, short stem and it looks a lot lighter than the Futur. Did I just read it is adjustable? I thought only the Vision and Futur were adjustable from Merkur... I would probably have selected this razor over the Futur, had I known.

Yeah, the Progress would be more my type of razor as well: Thin/flat head, short stem and it looks a lot lighter than the Futur. Did I just read it is adjustable? I thought only the Vision and Futur were adjustable from Merkur... I would probably have selected this razor over the Futur, had I known.

Progress is the rock star of adjustable razors

I have several including a custom made one.

Grab one next time you are out. Short or long handle. Your choice. You will enjoy them

proxy.php

proxy.php

Long Progress is close in "size" to the Futur but that is where the similarity ends

proxy.php

@Mick, thanks for the info and photos, really easy to see the comparison. Head does seem a bit thicker than I first thought now that I see it next to the Futur. I'm not sure I want to go that way; I might go thinner in the future without adjustable now that I find I like my Gillette at the highest aggression setting, as it makes the angles easier and shaving with no pressure goes really well so far. I might go open-comb or, dare I, even a barber razor? Not sure yet. Kind of scares me still, but I'm warming up to that:) For the coming months, I'll try not to change much to keep all the variables the same to allow me to work on my technique more.

Welcome Niels, great read!

I’m glad you are finding so much joy through this experience!
Thank you @GearNoir!

Welcome to the club, Niels. Glad to have you aboard.
Thanks @xxvaleria

Thanks for your post, Niels. It was a most enjoyable read and it is great to hear of your enthusiasm for traditional wet shaving! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom