What's new

Thanks for answering my barbershop survey. Want to help me pick a name now?

Do you like any of these barbershop names? If so, which one(s)?

• Pendragon ('s)

• Maxim ('s) - ala Maxim de Winter

• The Gilded Comb

• Modern Gentry

• Messrs Shear & Combes

Results are only viewable after voting.
Guys,

You're an indispensable treasure trove of insight. Your answers on my previous survey helped me solidify some ideas for my design. I appreciate your input so much, that I'd like to run a few names by you and see which ones you like best. These are all I have now, but I expect to have several more contenders before it's all said and done.

Oh, also, let me say that I'm going for the kind of image that the prestigious, storied brands such as D.R. Harris, Truefitt and Hill, Geo F. Trumper, and Taylor of Old Bond Street have. I want there to be a sense of history and exclusivity with the name and branding... even though it's obviously going to be completely new.

I voted for Pendragon's. May I suggest something like "A. Pendragon's" instead? I think having the initial there classes it up even more.

I voted for Pendragon's. May I suggest something like "A. Pendragon's" instead? I think having the initial there classes it up even more.

I agree. And may I say you're very much onto what I'm trying to do. There are all these outmoded traditions and conventions out there, and I think reviving some of them instantly recalls the times from which they were prevalent.

Initials, for example. I love a surname preceded by two initials. The most obvious shaving example would be C.O. Bigelow.

And I do like Pendragon's quite a lot too. I like how, for those in the know, there's a likeness to Penhaligon's. I also like that Pendragon is the name of King Arthur's father, because it makes one think of the legendary sword, Excalibur. A name that causes one to think of blades is appropriate for a barbershop, I think.

I like the way that sounds, also. One or two initials always sounds better.

Oh, also, let me say that I'm going for the kind of image that the prestigious, storied brands such as D.R. Harris, Truefitt and Hill, Geo F. Trumper, and Taylor of Old Bond Street have. I want there to be a sense of history and exclusivity with the name and branding... even though it's obviously going to be completely new.

Have you tried contacting any of these vendor's to see about pricing for a shop? I remember talking to a local barbershop owner about ordering me some Trumpers soaps (since they only carried creams, skin food, and edts) and they told me they would no longer be carrying the Trumpers line. When I asked why, they simply said they would have to order more product then they could ever sell in so they could get vendor pricing and not have shipping from the UK cost an arm and a leg.

I know a lot of this might be conceptual currently and you're just throwing some ideas on the table but I figured I'd let you know what I have heard.

I dunno about Pendragon.
I expect to walk in, dust off my old dice and have a rousing game of Dungeons and Dragons.
I voted for the last one. It sounds the classiest to me.

However, after reading some of the other posts, you could jazz Pendragon up a bit with an inital or two. Something that flows.

My other suggestion is to find a classy sounding British last name that hasn't been used yet. Something like Thomas J. Yorke or whatever.

Just hope the real TJ Yorke doesn't show up looking for a cut of the action.

I dunno about Pendragon.
I expect to walk in, dust off my old dice and have a rousing game of Dungeons and Dragons.
I voted for the last one. It sounds the classiest to me.

However, after reading some of the other posts, you could jazz Pendragon up a bit with an inital or two. Something that flows.

My other suggestion is to find a classy sounding British last name that hasn't been used yet. Something like Thomas J. Yorke or whatever.

Just hope the real TJ Yorke doesn't show up looking for a cut of the action.

Are you saying I should add a table for D&D in the lounge? Then the name would make sense? Because I can do that...

As for last names... yeah, I was going to look at a bunch. I was going to look at English town names too.

I like the idea of initial initial "snob" name, but none of the above appeal to me. Pendragon's strikes me as either a tattoo parlor or a Medieval re-enactment Dinner theater type place. :blush:

Oh God... is IS the most perfect name for a tattoo parlor! I'm going to google Pendragon's tattoo parlor right now. I'll be back in a minute...

No offense taken! Out of curiosity, what does a barbershop name sound like to you? I'd love to have another direction to explore.

I KNEW you were going to ask me this! Don't you know that it's far easier to critique others than it is to come up with your own great idea? :tongue_sm

Pendragon ('s) - I love this name, but a) it's used a lot for other things, and b) it doesn't sound like a barber shop to me (I agree with the D&D reference - I LOVE D&D, but unless you've got some tables in the back and a case full of Warhammer stuff, I'd avoid this one).

Maxim ('s) - ala Maxim de Winter - sounds like a woman's shop, not a men's.

The Gilded Comb - trying to hard. Plus, sounds a little sexually suggestive in a not-so-nice way.

Modern Gentry - sounds OLD and GENERIC. A place with this name could be ANYTHING - and nothing good.

Messrs Shear & Combes - trying too hard. I would say that if you and another guy ACTUALLY had these names - go for it. Otherwise, it's just cheesy.

Again - this is one man's opinion.

Classy to me is simple and elegant. Emphasis on the simple. Hopefully if the name sounds familiar, or comes from another source (i.e. Pendragons), it should evoke memories in your customers of something that you want your shop to me associated with. It adds to the ambiance.

As far as I understand it, most of the orignial barber shops in England were simply named after the guys who started the place - now their names are synonymous with a quality shave and quality products. I would probably start with some variation on your own name, if it fits.

Aside from your own name, I would maybe think of the kind of place you envision your shop to be - what your customers are going to expect when they walk in the room - and come up with a name that goes with that FEEL.

I think I'm rambling now . . . Perhaps someone else can pick up where I have left off.

Ok, no D&D hijack intended here, we need a new thread for that. :thumbup1:
(I usually get stuck as the Cleric)

English town names would be a good way to go too.
Lots of things from the UK sound classy.
I'm detecting from your other threads that you are looking to be upscale.

Pendragon ('s) - When I hear this, I think Monty Python. I think it could work, with some re-work, but as it stands I just think medieval. I like it only in the fact that it sounds Old English. So if your decor/logo matches that and doesn't take a medieval tone, then it could work.

Maxim ('s) - ala Maxim de Winter - Don't like the correlation to the Magazine.

The Gilded Comb - Definitely sounds forced.

Modern Gentry - I liked it very much initially. After I thought about it some more, it sounds like a place that sells suits and hats. Could use some work.

Messrs Shear & Combes - Don't know why, but I just don't like it.

What's your last name? What are your initials? Are you opening this shop solo or with a partner?

M. Mori - Barber

Sounds respectable to me. No confusion about it either. Possibly boring, but I assure you that a catchy name is not going to draw more business unless you become a chain of locations.

Phil

Top Bottom