What's new

Thank you to Terebush for a terrific PIF!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
It was supposedly for a Fatip Grande, and was in the DE Razor forum, but it also included, a brush, soap, and a tuck of blades, so off to the General Shaving Forum it was!

I never cease to be amazed by the generosity of B&B members, and @Terebush realle set the standard with this one! In addition to the Fatip Grande, which I have been interested in trying for a while now, he included a Made Rite 750C handle expertly reknotted in two-band badger, which looks to be unused! Did you reknot that yourself? Also included was a Klar Kabinett soap sample, which I have also never experienced, and a tuck of 7 O'Clock Greens, which, interestingly, I did not add to my dozen blade sampler package a couple of months ago, so I am anxious to try them, as well.

What you see here is tomorrow's Sunday Shave, gents. I will post the shave right here, stay tuned!

PIF.jpg

Just so you know, those are the Indian market greens not the super stainless. The sharpness is supposed to increase dramatically on the second or third shave. I have not verified that.

It was supposedly for a Fatip Grande...
Not just a Fatip Grande, but a Fatip Grande Mk1, which has more blade exposure than the Mk2, so more aggressive, and is currently unobtanium!

I was also PIF'ed a very nice razor by @Terebush recently, plus some excellent extras like a Klar Kabinett sample. Very thoughtful!

I was also pifed a Muhle R89 and some soap with a brush and a tuck of blades from this member. Very generous of him and quality gear to boot. Couldn't be happier.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Sunday's shave

PIF from @Terebush

Will post same in PIF thank you thread

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Fatip Grande original model
Blade: Schick Plus Platinum #1
Soap: Klar Kabinett
Brush: Made Rite 750C reknotted with maybe a silvertip?
Post shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Cella red A/S

DFS+, 9.5 / 10

Wow! Terebush was kind enough to PIF a Fatip Grande, and a beautiful reknotted brush, and a sample of Klar Kabinett, and some 7 O'Clock Super Stainless blades I have never tried. I knew the Fatip would be aggressive, so I actually used a new vintage Schick Plus Platinum, deciding to test the 7 O'Clock Greens in my Fat-Handled Tech later. I wanted a smooth blade for this.

First, about the razor--the finish was pretty good, much better than I expected reading some reviews of this razor. Was it Edwin Jagger nice? No. But it was certainly well finished, IMO, and it should give decades of good service. I understand it is all brass, nickel-plated, so it should hold up really well. I also did not have any trouble aligning the blade. There was less blade play than I thought there would be from reading other reviews, as well, and I although there is some slight play when tightening it down, I was able to get perfectly even and parallel. I don't know if I just got a jewel of a specimen or if people over-hype the supposed shortcomings of this razor, but I find it a good, quality piece of kit.

The brush is fantastic! I love the color, I love the shape, and the reknot was done perfectly. @Terebush do you know what the knot is? When I looked at it I thought it was a "best" or "finest" (no real standard for these terms) badger, but it is super soft, so I'm thinking it is a premium knot for sure. I love it! I love vintage reknots, in general, but this one was an instant favorite.

And Klar Kabinett, what can I say? Never tried it, and did not know it is now out of production, so a huge thank you for sharing this. I love rose scents and often have a tub of TOBS Rose cream, but have wanted to get a rose soap for a while now. This stuff is terrific! No tub or anything, it's the little block next to the Schick blade dispenser in the photo.

The shave? Well, it was aggressive. I've read that Fatip released a newer, milder version of this razor, and now that I think of it, maybe that is why this one seems so nice. Maybe the QC complaints I've read are about newer production. But open combs in general have a lot of blade feel because it is basically riding right on your skin--the OC does not provide much protection from the blade edge, so I find I have to concentrate with this razor. And I got what I should have classified as a BBS yesterday with my E-Type Schick, not a DFS+, so I am a little sensitive right now. I think I'll use the EJ DE89 tomorrow and just do two passes and let my face recover for a day, then I plan to use this with the Schick PP for a full week.

Got a little more than the usual burn from the Cella A/S, but it always leaves my face feeling good, which is why I chose it today. After a day or two with the Tech, I will definitely come back to this efficient shaver.

2021-10-24_shave.jpg

Top Bottom