What's new

Thank-you Sam...and everyone who gave him advice on a brush

I'd read all of the questions and replys that Sam has generated on this forum and given all of the data (even taking into account Scotto's opinions) I'd just about convinced myself that a Chubby 2 in best was going to be my next brush. Imagine my surprise when this did not turn out to be Sam's dream brush. Well, it has found a new home and I can honestly say that after just a few uses this may turn out to be the last brush I ever use :biggrin: .

I know that statement is close to heretical around here. After all, I'm still 80+ brushes shy of Peter's collection. Even so, I absolutely love the way this dense brush lathers, the feel of it against my face, and it is the perfect size for use in my large Moss Scuttle. I've not noticed (or simply don't know enough to notice) any of the problems that have sometimes been associated with the Chubby. The handle fits my hand quite nicely, I don't find it too stiff or scrubby, it takes no more cream to build a nice lather than my Vulfix 2235 Super did (and the Chubby builds the lather quicker with better consistency). I guess another Simpsons sycophant has been born.

I have no intention of getting rid of my T&H turnback, but I do believe it will be relegated to the role it was purchased for...travel. I'll wait a week or two, but I think my Vulfix 2235 will probably be offered for sale. No sense in keeping something I'm unlikely to use.

Once again, thank you all for the information. I am forever in your debt.

Ed

I'm in complete agreement, I have a Chubby 2 in Super (as well as a T&H Turnback) and I do love the Chubby. My AOS best badger and SR 208 aren't seeing any more use (well the SR is as it's now my wife's brush). I can't say I won't buy another brush because I'm thinking hard about a Simpsons major in super for travel but I don't think I'll be changing my daily use brush any time soon.

I'm disappointed Sam didn't like this brush. I have quite a few Simpson brushes and the Chubby 2 is my favourite.

rtaylor61 said:
Ed,

The "last brush I ever use"? Yeah, I said that...about 6 brushes ago...

Randy

The one doesn't exclude the other: "the last brush i ever use" isn't the same as: "the last brush i ever buy".......:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

S

Sam

I did like the brush, I did not like the bristles. The handle was decent enough, size wise. The knot is dense, and that I did like. But after using the SMF1 and the XXL Shavemacs, that best badger hair did not feel as soft and I will be honest, that was a turnoff.

Sam

Sam said:
I did like the brush, I did not like the bristles. The handle was decent enough, size wise. The knot is dense, and that I did like. But after using the SMF1 and the XXL Shavemacs, that best badger hair did not feel as soft and I will be honest, that was a turnoff.

Sam

Sam, we each have our own tastes and what one likes the other might not like as much. It's understandable and hopefully you might give a Simpson such as the PJ2 or PJ3 a chance in the future, they are much softer on the face than the shorter bristle of the Chubby line.:smile:

I have basically gone to only using my Chubby2 Sup daily... I'm rarely interested in going back to my Kent4 or Vulfix...

I'm still dying to make the plunge and get a PJ3... It's just a matter of time, I'm afraid.

NYLaw said:
I have basically gone to only using my Chubby2 Sup daily... I'm rarely interested in going back to my Kent4 or Vulfix...

I'm still dying to make the plunge and get a PJ3... It's just a matter of time, I'm afraid.

Ditto, except I don't own a Kent... :biggrin: Since I bought the Chubby#2 Super from Lee, I have not really touched my Vulfix. There is just night and day difference between the two even though they are both supers. I too am interested in a PJ. Maybe in a couple months...

Dennis

NYLaw said:

Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .Do it. . .

Why, oh why, is the Chubby knot not available on a longer and more gracefull handle? (If it is, someone please tell me - I am slightly baffled by the array of Simpsons brushes, but it seems the other handles don't have the short, dense knot of the chubby). I am finding a preference for a longer handle brush as I find it easier to grip.

moses said:
Why, oh why, is the Chubby knot not available on a longer and more gracefull handle? (If it is, someone please tell me - I am slightly baffled by the array of Simpsons brushes, but it seems the other handles don't have the short, dense knot of the chubby). I am finding a preference for a longer handle brush as I find it easier to grip.

It is, the Polo 10 has a virtually identical bristle shape and size as the Chubby 2, but with a longer handle. I have the Polo 8 and it is very similar to the Chubby 1 but with a nice long, elegant handle.

rtaylor61 said:
Ed,

The "last brush I ever use"? Yeah, I said that...about 6 brushes ago...

Randy

Gee thanks Randy,
You have to realize that you are largely to blame (thank??!:confused: ) for my being here at B&B and therefore being lured into wanting/needing/buying this brush in the first place. I was more than happy in my own ignorant little world over at StraightRazorPlace thinking that was more than enough razor forum for anyone...but NOOOOOO. You had to keep dropping references about all of the information available in the larger world. B&B this, SMF that...oh, the humanity!:eek:

Now you're suggesting I won't be able to control this acquisition disorder either? Oh well, I'm still too happy with my recent Chubby purchase to be dismayed or depressed. When that happens, I'll probably drown my sorrows by buying a good bottle of scotch...or another razor...or maybe a PJ2. I wonder if I'd like the best or super better? Just to be sure, maybe both???

Arggghhhhhhh,

Ed

Sam said:

Sam

I think some guy named Joel said this exact same thing before you bought it :biggrin: For the love of peat, get a PJ2 or PJ3 in Super and call it a day. You shoulda taken Rik up on his offer my friend!

Top Bottom