What's new

Thank you from another DE convert

After years of suffering from razor burn and ingrown whiskers this weekend I started on my DE shaving adventure.

I have always shaved in the shower with some kind of canned foaming product and the latest and greatest multi-bladed Gillette wonder. No matter what I tried, while I could get a somewhat close shave I experienced a lot of ingrown whiskers and irritation. I would have to not shave on the weekends to give myself a chance to heal up a bit, and by Tuesday I would be suffering again. Things had gotten to the point where I couldn’t wear a tie at the office most days as it would accelerate the irritation.

So after extensive research online I decided to try shaving with a DE razor. I was quite skeptical that the shave would be better then what I received from more “modern” designs, but anything that could lessen the discomfort of shaving was worth a shot.

Last Friday my razor, brush and sample package of razors showed up. Saturday morning was time for the big trial. I took my time preparing and started to shave. I was shocked how easy, and comfortable the shave was! It wasn’t the closest shave, but I expected that it would take some time to learn this new skill. I went with 2 WTG passes, and some mild XTG clean up and ended up with a very respectable result with no irritation.

Sunday (the 2nd shave) didn’t go as well, as I had missed on the lather consistency and ended up with several nicks. Half way through I smartened up and re-made my lather and finished up without further mishap. Even with this mistake my face felt much better then after my normal shave.

Monday morning (shave #3) is the one that has me committed to DE shaving from now on! I managed a 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG and ATG) without major mishap, and am sitting here in the office without any discomfort at all, and I have a tie on!

There is a lot still to learn, and a lot of practice required to be able to consistently get a smooth shave over all parts of my face and neck consistently, but I am looking forward to every shave from now on.

I want to take a moment to thank all the contributors on this site as there is no way I would have known what to do without all of the excellent advice that is provided here.

Marc

Congratulations!

Stick to 1 blade, 1 cream/soap, 1 aftershave for at least a month.
Get your technique down before you change any of the variables in your shave.

Welcome!

Sounds like you are well on the way to becoming a dedicated DE shaver. The best advice I can give is the easiest to give and the hardest to take. Give yourself some time and get to know your face and beard growth pattern. Also get to know your equipment and soaps. Restrict yourself to one razor/blade and one soap cream for several weeks until you are truly comfortable with your shaves. After that, feel free to try different razors/blades and soaps until you find your place.

Keep us posted.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

It will take time but practice will make it better!

Welcome to B&B! It took me a long time to get to DE shaving but now I'm hooked! (That said, I plan to try a straight this weekend - GULP!)

The folks here are friendly & helpful - you'll learn a lot!

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Top Bottom